Now that Jon Jones admits he's retiring after the Stipe fight

No he's not ducking aspinall.

The man has like 15 title wins there will always be some other guy. He can retire now if he wants hes done enough. it's kinda insane that we can just saying "what about this guy?"o after he beats aspinall, he will be ducking Alexander volkov if he beat gane next so Why bother??

While I want Jones to fight Tom, I see his point of view too. He flat out said there's always going to be someone new and he's absolutely right. If he was to fight Tom and he wins, people would say Tom was never that good and then the next promising heavyweight to come along, everyone would be saying Jon has to fight him next or he's ducking. It's a never ending cycle.

Remember, we've already been through this. Gane was supposed to be the future of the division. A guy that was going to destroy Jones. Jones smashes him and we act like Gane wasn't ready and had no business in there with him. I'd much rather see Jones/Tom but if I'm Jones, I'd probably rather have the legacy fight and Stipe's name on my resume.

No he's not ducking aspinall.

The man has like 15 title wins there will always be some other guy. He can retire now if he wants hes done enough. it's kinda insane that we can just saying "what about this guy?"o after he beats aspinall, he will be ducking Alexander volkov if he beat gane next so Why bother??
Rear view mirror arguments

Rear view mirror arguments
Ok. Well jons career is going to be in the rear view very soon. So best to prepare for that perspective now.

I like gane a lot more than Tom and I was certain gane would topple Jones with superior striking but I was wrong I require nothing else from Jon he fought the young up and comer guy in Gane. Not going to move the goal posts like you would if Jones beat tom. Which I believe he would.

Will the Jones glazing squad finally admit he's ducking Aspinall? Or will they continue to hide behind rear view mirror narratives to justify holding up the division for 1,5 years while refusing to fight the rightful champion?

Will they show some balls and admit he's shamelessly and outrageously ducking one of the most all-around skillful and dangerous heavyweights in history?

Or will they, those so-called MMA "fans", keep their facade up pretending that they don't want to see Jones vs Aspinall, a fight that's guaranteed to be way more entertaining and intense than his current matchup against a semi-retired, 42-year-old full-time firefighter who's last win is over four years ago, with his last fight being 3,5 years ago in which he got violently sent to the shadow realm?

Will they realize and admit they have a basic casual's mindset where they support a fighter solely because officially, they never lost? Or maybe that's exactly the reason why they gloat and pretend to agree with the situation - it's very possible Jones loses against Aspinall, and then it's no longer all that interesting to root for Jones, because nobody likes losers, right? It's way more effective to troll others online, which they love, when you can worship a fighter that's 27-1(1 DC) instead of 27-2(1 DC), of course.

And maybe, if he would actually take the fight and lose... Will they start looking at his resume and especially based on his last 3 fights, start saying stupid shit like, dare I say it, "he was never any good"?

I guess we're about to find out.

<JonesLaugh>
It can’t be ducking when the ufc told us they were going to reschedule the jones vs stipe fight the moment they announced Aspinall vs Sergei.

Ok. Well jons career is going to be in the rear view very soon. So best to prepare for that perspective now.

I like gane a lot more than Tom and I was certain gane would topple Jones with superior striking but I was wrong I require nothing else from Jon he fought the young up and comer guy in Gane. Not going to move the goal posts like you would if Jones beat tom. Which I believe he would.
We don't have to prepare for that perspective. We're not living in the future, and we're not living in the past. We're living in the here and now.

Jones has been holding up a division for 1,5 years and his "fans" are scrambling whatever measly merit they can find to justify him against Stipe for the HW belt is a good thing. It's degrading the UFC, a potentially beautiful product and brand. That is the present moment. His defenders will bob and weave and lie and be dishonest about it and I'm just wondering whatever fickle reason makes them drool on his dick that hard. Every single one of us deep down knows this is a clown show.

I have no problem with Jones fighting Stipe if there's no belt on the line.

I have no problem with Jones fighting Stipe if there's no belt on the line.

I have posted this opinion several times.

Personally I don't think Jones Vs stipe is a big fight at all and I don't think it will pull a bazillion ppv buys. The fight doesn't get bigger or smaller with the title. But remember nothing in my post says anything about the belt. I agree that Jones has the right to choose the stipe fight but I can't seem to understand why the HW title must be involved. It's the number one thing I hate about this fight. Stipe does not deserve another crack at the HW title being my main issue with the fight.

You mean like your boy Jon? Who did he beat to get the strap? Literally the easiest top HW opponent they could find for him. Jon is the true paper champ in the HW division.

Jon beat #1-ranked Ciryl Gane for the vacant HW belt. Belt isn't paper if the previous champion literally leaves the company. 😇

You certainly can Duck a fight that isn't offered on paper. Here is how that goes:
UFC: Hey Jon you vacated LHW and we would really like to see you at HW. Are you ready yet? DC is the champion.
Jon: No way I am fighting DC at HW and giving him that advantage. (Paraphrased but literally what Jon said)
UFC: Well how about Stipe?
Jon: I need to put on weight but I would love to fight Francis he looks like an easy fight.
UFC: Hey Jon Francis looks like a killer and just KO'd Stipe. You up for that fight?
Jon: I need to put on weight still working on it.
UFC: Hey Jon we weren't willing to pay Francis and also allow him to box so we would love to put you in a vacant title fight.
Jon: As long as it is against Cyril Gane who is my perfect style match up I am all in.

Weird fan-fiction, but okay...?

Jon has more title defenses than many have fights

He has earned the right to do what he wants. GSP ran from the sport after a tough fight and only came back to handpick a title, yet he is praised

Blame the ufc for keeping the title on him and having the stipe fight

No, because he can say what he wants, and the retirement talk could just as easily be about him trying to angle for a massive bag as it is about commitment to hanging the gloves up. Assuming he beats Stipe, I'll happily admit Jon ducked Tom if he hands the belt back and leaves the active roster. I'll also acknowledge that it's a major blemish on his resume.

The bottom line is that even if he fights and beats Tom, you people will do what you always do. You'll grasp at reasons to discredit the win and move the goalposts even further. My prediction is that people will say something along the lines of Tom having bad cardio. Going back years to my lurking days, people came on Sherdog and were 100% positive that Jon would never move up to HW. Then he did, and all I heard was bitching about how he did it at the wrong time. Then he fought Gane, who plenty of people were sure was going to knock him out. After he squashed him, all I heard was that Jon only won because Gane can't grapple.

I have a feeling that Jon will retire for a couple of years after the Stipe fight, then realize he's not fit for "normal" civilian life and will want to come back to fight Aspinall or whoever else is HW champ at the time for that big pay check and the thrill of fighting in a cage. Otherwise I can see him committing some bad crimes in the next 5 years post retirement, like perhaps fighting some random dudes while drunk and getting sentenced for GBH or something.

You certainly can Duck a fight that isn't offered on paper. Here is how that goes:
UFC: Hey Jon you vacated LHW and we would really like to see you at HW. Are you ready yet? DC is the champion.
Jon: No way I am fighting DC at HW and giving him that advantage. (Paraphrased but literally what Jon said)
UFC: Well how about Stipe?
Jon: I need to put on weight but I would love to fight Francis he looks like an easy fight.
UFC: Hey Jon Francis looks like a killer and just KO'd Stipe. You up for that fight?
Jon: I need to put on weight still working on it.
UFC: Hey Jon we weren't willing to pay Francis and also allow him to box so we would love to put you in a vacant title fight.
Jon: As long as it is against Cyril Gane who is my perfect style match up I am all in.
1. Jon hadn't come back from suspension when DC won the HW belt. When he did, he went and got the LHW belt back, which he didn't vacate until over a year after DC wasn't champion anymore. If anything, DC was the one who ducked Jon by moving to HW the second Jon came back.

2. You forgot the part about Jon feuding with the UFC after Dana did his usual "He doesn't want the fight routine" because he still had leverage and didn't want to pay Jon. How dare he give Dana a middle finger in response and not sign on to "prove him wrong". There was only reconciliation after Jon changed managers. At that point, Gane was the interim champion and next up. Dana didn't pass Gane up for a Jon/Francis fight because the Francis situation hadn't fallen apart yet and Jon still didn't have the leverage he does now.

3. Who else would he have fought besides Gane? Gane was the #1 contender. You're telling me you wouldn't have bitched if Jon had fought Blaydes or someone like that instead? Aspinall and Pavlovich hadn't ascended to the title level yet.

Jon has more title defenses than many have fights

He has earned the right to do what he wants. GSP ran from the sport after a tough fight and only came back to handpick a title, yet he is praised

Blame the ufc for keeping the title on him and having the stipe fight
rear view mirror argument

1. Jon hadn't come back from suspension when DC won the HW belt. When he did, he went and got the LHW belt back, which he didn't vacate until over a year after DC wasn't champion anymore. If anything, DC was the one who ducked Jon by moving to HW the second Jon came back.

2. You forgot the part about Jon feuding with the UFC after Dana did his usual "He doesn't want the fight routine" because he still had leverage and didn't want to pay Jon. How dare he give Dana a middle finger in response and not sign on to "prove him wrong". There was only reconciliation after Jon changed managers. At that point, Gane was the interim champion and next up. Dana didn't pass Gane up for a Jon/Francis fight because the Francis situation hadn't fallen apart yet and Jon still didn't have the leverage he does now.

3. Who else would he have fought besides Gane? Gane was the #1 contender. You're telling me you wouldn't have bitched if Jon had fought Blaydes or someone like that instead? Aspinall and Pavlovich hadn't ascended to the title level yet.
1. DC "Ducked" a guy he had already fought twice? That makes sense.

2. Dane was Interim and up next??? Novel Idea. Jon is claiming to be Champion but won't dare speak the name of the Interim Champion let alone fight him. If Jon has definitively declared he will retire then the Stipe fight should be for the Legacy Belt and they should move on with a real title fight. You can't claim to be the Undisputed Champion and openly state you will not fight the Interim Champion.

3. I would have had no issue with Blaydes as an opponent. Frankly when there is a vacant title I have an issue with two guys picked out of a hat for the "Undisputed" title. There should be a minimum 4 man and preferably an 8 man tourney to establish a new Lineage. LW was a perfect example. Olives and Chandler were picked out of a hat and Chandler had 1 whole fight in the UFC. Charles wasn't the Real Champion IMO until he defended against Dustin and Justin. Jon has 1 fight at HW and he is supposedly the Champion?

Francis left and it should have been a man tourney with Jon, Gane, Stipe, Volkov, Pav, Blaydes, Aspinall and Lewis or whoever.

There's always someone else, but he sat on the belt, ducked, and chose his send off fight.

1. DC "Ducked" a guy he had already fought twice? That makes sense.

2. Dane was Interim and up next??? Novel Idea. Jon is claiming to be Champion but won't dare speak the name of the Interim Champion let alone fight him. If Jon has definitively declared he will retire then the Stipe fight should be for the Legacy Belt and they should move on with a real title fight. You can't claim to be the Undisputed Champion and openly state you will not fight the Interim Champion.

3. I would have had no issue with Blaydes as an opponent. Frankly when there is a vacant title I have an issue with two guys picked out of a hat for the "Undisputed" title. There should be a minimum 4 man and preferably an 8 man tourney to establish a new Lineage. LW was a perfect example. Olives and Chandler were picked out of a hat and Chandler had 1 whole fight in the UFC. Charles wasn't the Real Champion IMO until he defended against Dustin and Justin. Jon has 1 fight at HW and he is supposedly the Champion?

Francis left and it should have been a man tourney with Jon, Gane, Stipe, Volkov, Pav, Blaydes, Aspinall and Lewis or whoever.
1. I'm not saying DC for sure ducked Jon, but it's possible. He had fought the guy twice and losing a third time would've been really embarrassing. The point is that you stated factually untrue things in your first point, and idk how anyone can say Jon ducked DC when DC vacated the LHW belt that Jon wanted to reclaim on his return.

2. By the time Jon and the UFC had reconciled (the quarrel was 100% Dana's fault), Gane had beaten Lewis for the interim belt, thus making him next in line for Ngannou over Jon. Saying that Jon ducked Ngannou here doesn't make sense because the fight wasn't even available to him. Remember that we're still at a point where Jon, while on better terms with the UFC, still doesn't have much leverage. Ngannou is the champion, there's no indication that things will fall apart, and Gane looks to possibly be the future of the division. Then we have Ngannou/Gane. Ngannou wins but he's knee is spaghetti and his falling out with the UFC is impending. A fight between him and Jon isn't on the table anymore. The only time period it was was between Ngannou/Miocic 2 and Lewis/Gane. However, Dana chose to antagonize Jon and alienate him.

3. We won't know if Jon's retiring until he gives the belt back and leaves the active roster. He knows how big a fight between him and Aspinall would be, and so the retirement talk could simply be him angling for a bigger bag. If he does retire instead of fighting Aspinall, then I'll join everyone in calling him a duck. It's premature at this point though.

1. I'm not saying DC for sure ducked Jon, but it's possible. He had fought the guy twice and losing a third time would've been really embarrassing. The point is that you stated factually untrue things in your first point, and idk how anyone can say Jon ducked DC when DC vacated the LHW belt that Jon wanted to reclaim on his return.

2. By the time Jon and the UFC had reconciled (the quarrel was 100% Dana's fault), Gane had beaten Lewis for the interim belt, thus making him next in line for Ngannou over Jon. Saying that Jon ducked Ngannou here doesn't make sense because the fight wasn't even available to him. Remember that we're still at a point where Jon, while on better terms with the UFC, still doesn't have much leverage. Ngannou is the champion, there's no indication that things will fall apart, and Gane looks to possibly be the future of the division. Then we have Ngannou/Gane. Ngannou wins but he's knee is spaghetti and his falling out with the UFC is impending. A fight between him and Jon isn't on the table anymore. The only time period it was was between Ngannou/Miocic 2 and Lewis/Gane. However, Dana chose to antagonize Jon and alienate him.

3. We won't know if Jon's retiring until he gives the belt back and leaves the active roster. He knows how big a fight between him and Aspinall would be, and so the retirement talk could simply be him angling for a bigger bag. If he does retire instead of fighting Aspinall, then I'll join everyone in calling him a duck. It's premature at this point though.
Jon was quoted as saying he wouldn't face DC at HW when DC was champion. Quackers when Jon claimed he wanted to move to HW.

Francis was not champion and looked like wrestling was a huge hole in Frank's game and Jon was calling for that fight and not Stipe who was champ. Again when Jon was "Putting on Weight for 3 years". Quack Quack. As soon as Frank was champ and showed he wasn't an easy TD any longer Jon was all quiet.

Maybe Jon is trolling for a bigger fight payday with Aspinall but I hope he just gets KO'd by Stipe.

Back