Saudi Arabia might host the Joshua vs Ruiz rematch

EBix-HOX4AAwue8

They've named it Clash of the Dunes. I'm not totally sure I get that. As in what? They're like two massive sand dunes?

One good thing is I won't have to stay up till stupid o'clock to watch it.

There'll be no atmosphere. I really hope they don't try and sing Sweet Caroline.
*On the Dunes. Not that it's much better.

I’m just stoked that my Saudi visa from the Khan fight is still valid!

Agree, but WBSS hasn’t had 4 heavyweight belts in the mix...
I'll have you know that it would have been for the IBO Super Middleweight championship if Groves didn't give it up. It doesn't get any more prestigious. Instead it was just for the Super WBA Super Middleweight Super and the match was pretty super.

I'd imagine it would get the rematch out of the way fairly quickly if they chose a place that's suitable for both guys, instead of arguing with Ruiz constantly. I don't know the ins and outs of the contract either, so I don't know how much of a say Ruiz has and what happens if he refuses to go to the UK. I'd imagine that's a situation Hearn would like to avoid as well. AJ stuck fighting guys, risking another loss all while they're in a legal battle with Ruiz, and AJ has no belts, and is now less of a draw because of it.
you are probably right

AJ has the legal high ground,(Hearn explained he could sue Ruiz and anybody Ruiz seeks to fight, if it wasn't AJ at a place of his choosing) but it would be a PR disaster for AJ to essentially end Ruiz's career over the staging of this rematch

This seems like bad news for dazn. Biggest fight they will have this yr and it’s on in the middle of the day in the US

I'll have you know that it would have been for the IBO Super Middleweight championship if Groves didn't give it up. It doesn't get any more prestigious. Instead it was just for the Super WBA Super Middleweight Super and the match was pretty super.

Kalle hasn’t got any money for corruption anyway. Most of the WBSS budget seems to go to the fighters (which is great) and the rest up his nose (which is his choice).

This seems like bad news for dazn. Biggest fight they will have this yr and it’s on in the middle of the day in the US
Well it's on British time, because of AJ being the draw. DAZN will make a shit ton of money off this.

Kalle hasn’t got any money for corruption anyway. Most of the WBSS budget seems to go to the fighters (which is great) and the rest up his nose (which is his choice).
Sounds like Oscar... apart from the bit where he treats his boxers well.

EBix-HOX4AAwue8

They've named it Clash of the Dunes. I'm not totally sure I get that. As in what? They're like two massive sand dunes?

There'll be no atmosphere. I really hope they don't try and sing Sweet Caroline.
"Diriyah is a city on the outskirts of Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia. The bout will take place at a temporary outdoor stadium that will be erected solely to host the fight, multiple sources with knowledge of the plans told ESPN."

Are there no enclosed temperature controlled stadiums in the mideast? All of the stadiums in Dubai and Qatar are outdoors too. Seems like madness to play host sporting events outdoors in that kind of heat. And the wealthy patrons would surely prefer air conditioning as well.

It gets cold at night in the desert...

That came outta nowhere

It gets cold at night in the desert...
I would assume it's a little better in December, but from what I recall of the Qatar World Cup bid there was a lot of backlash because it's hosted in July. Even at night, the temps hit 90. And the average highs are 120.

EBix-HOX4AAwue8

lol, "Clash of the Dunes" is dumb as hell

Back