RBR ***Official*** Sherdog Sanctioned Joshua vs Wallin / Wilder vs Parker 12/23 11AM ET DAZN / ESPN+

Winner?

• Joshua

Votes: 46 71.9%
  • Wallin

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Wilder

Votes: 41 64.1%
  • Parker

Votes: 23 35.9%

• Total voters

It seems that our beloved MMA athletes are not fully respected by their peers.

Also, when McGregor bowed in respect of the people he is around, he was ignored by both Ronaldo and the Saudi overlord Turki Al Shaikh.

Well I’m assuming this guy is better at his respective sport then McGregor is ? While I had to look up this guy to see who he was ( I wouldn’t know him or who he was if a million dollars was on the line ) my guess he’s known worldwide outside the U.S ? Soccor is a huge sport I just don’t care at all for it I’d rather paint walls to be honest then watch guys run up and down a field kicking a ball but each to his own .

Anybody doing a realistic sport is considered an A level athlete if they are relevant or considered to be . Anybody that is the best at a particular area would be considered an athlete,I’d argue Golf and pin pong don’t exactly count things like that don’t exactly fit bc then the laziest ppl can be an athlete at any giving time . Lol

As far as McGregor ? He has a different swag I’m guessing these guys are thinking his far away they can distance themselves from him ? Idk ,bc he found a seat right next to that guy who seemed like he made a mistake sitting there . Lol

Well I’m assuming this guy is better at his respective sport then McGregor is ? While I had to look up this guy to see who he was ( I wouldn’t know him or who he was if a million dollars was on the line ) my guess he’s known worldwide outside the U.S ? Soccor is a huge sport I just don’t care at all for it I’d rather paint walls to be honest then watch guys run up and down a field kicking a ball but each to his own .

Anybody doing a realistic sport is considered an A level athlete if they are relevant or considered to be . Anybody that is the best at a particular area would be considered an athlete,I’d argue Golf and pin pong don’t exactly count things like that don’t exactly fit bc then the laziest ppl can be an athlete at any giving time . Lol

Yeah he’s pretty well known! Far more so than conor - 600m instagram followers. He is one of the best footballers of all time. Certainly top 2 in the last 15 years. He’s also an insufferable, entitled prick with an army of on line fans that are just as insufferable. The reason he was there is he is signed to a Saudi club. He’s not that good anymore as he’s old (relative for a footballer), hence why he currently plays in a football backwater

Yeah he’s pretty well known! Far more so than conor. He is one of the best footballers of all time. Certainly top 2 in the last 15 years. He’s also an insufferable, entitled prick with an army of on line fans that are just as insufferable. The reason he was there is he is signed to a Saudi club. He’s not that good anymore as he’s old (relative for a footballer), hence why he currently plays in a football backwater
Yea I wouldn’t know ? It looks like the more he ignored McGregor walking in the arena the more McGregor wanted to talk to him probably not used to being ignored or shrugged off , McGregor is one of those guys that needs the spotlight 24/7 himself . Hopefully he annoyed the crap out of that guy the entire night it looks like it wouldn’t take much . Lol

If he was an A level athlete what level was the guy in your pic?
The ultimate example of an A level athlete. I'd rate him an A+. Bo Jackson played two major sports at a high level, baseball & football. Deion Sanders is another fine example of an A level athlete. I grew up watching them both play.

@TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle

Let me help you out. An ‘A’ grade in school/college is usually a passing grade of 90–100%. Athletes can be graded using the same system. Years back ESPN had a whole panel of highly credentialed sports scientists on. They ranked 60 different sports to determine their actual athletic degree of difficulty. Soccer rated No. 10 on their list, meaning, it's an ‘A’ level sport. Boxing actually rated No. 1 overall.

ESPN.com: Page 2 - Sport Skills Difficulty Rankings

PS. If you're still not convinced, then know this: Nobody would call Cristiano Ronaldo a ‘B’ level athlete. Not if they want to be taken seriously, anyway.

@TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle

Let me help you out. An ‘A’ grade in school/college is usually a passing grade of 90–100%. Athletes can be graded using the same system. Years back ESPN had a whole panel of highly credentialed sports scientists on. They ranked 60 different sports to determine their actual athletic degree of difficulty. Soccer rated No. 10 on their list, meaning, it's an ‘A’ level sport. Boxing actually rated No. 1 overall.

ESPN.com: Page 2 - Sport Skills Difficulty Rankings

Oh my god I was hoping I never had to see this shockingly retarded list again. Yeah ive seen it many times over the years because hockey fans always default to it in any argument suggesting they arent the best athletes. Some great examples of how "scientific" it is is how hockey scores higher for "speed" than American football, soccer, rugby and basketball as though ice skating is the same as running. It also scores higher in strength than rugby, which is insanity. So scientific.

I mean, even if you wanna go with that list, its got baseball, tennis and "martial arts" (doesnt clarify which exactly, so scientific again) ahead of soccer. So would you agree with that assertion yourself?

PS. If you're still not convinced, then know this: Nobody would call Cristiano Ronaldo a ‘B’ level athlete. Not if they want to be taken seriously, anyway.

How can he be an A level athlete when he'd be at the lower end of athleticism on any NFL team? what can he do in terms of his size, strength, speed, jumping ability etc that is exceptional by basic cornerback, wide receiver, running back etc norms?

The ultimate example of an A level athlete. I'd rate him an A+. Bo Jackson played two major sports at a high level, baseball & football. Deion Sanders is another fine example of an A level athlete. I grew up watching them both play.

There is a GIGANTIC gulf between Bo and Pele or even Ronaldo in terms of athletic ability. So if Bo is the bar for an "A level athlete" how can those guys be?

Oh my god I was hoping I never had to see this shockingly retarded list again. Yeah ive seen it many times over the years because hockey fans always default to it in any argument suggesting they arent the best athletes. Some great examples of how "scientific" it is is how hockey scores higher for "speed" than American football, soccer, rugby and basketball as though ice skating is the same as running. It also scores higher in strength than rugby, which is insanity. So scientific.

I mean, even if you wanna go with that list, its got baseball, tennis and "martial arts" (doesnt clarify which exactly, so scientific again) ahead of soccer. So would you agree with that assertion yourself?

How can he be an A level athlete when he'd be at the lower end of athleticism on any NFL team? what can he do in terms of his size, strength, speed, jumping ability etc that is exceptional by basic cornerback, wide receiver, running back etc norms?
There's a key/legend underneath the ratings table that clearly explains each category. Every panelist also has a bio detailing their credentials. When you get your PhD and work with high level world class athletes on a daily basis then you can challenge their expert opinions. Okay? Nobody in their right mind would call Cristiano Ronaldo 'B' level. That's common sense. So, if he isn't that then he's 'A' level because he's literally the biggest star in all of sports. No individual athlete has a larger following.

There is a GIGANTIC gulf between Bo and Pele or even Ronaldo in terms of athletic ability. So if Bo is the bar for an "A level athlete" how can those guys be?
How do you know this? Has their raw athleticism/performance ever been evaluated at a combine type place or similar? Bo has, sure, but even his 40 back then was hand-timed. You also still don't understand that 'A' can mean anything from 'A-' to 'A+'. It has a range.

Ronaldo in football terms is about as elite as they come athletically. I can’t think of many better natural athletes. Messi has better close ball control and vision, Ronaldo always relied far more on explosive pace and power. He’s a great footballer as well, but without that aspect he really wouldn’t be the player he was, just a very good one

They’ve been neck and neck their whole football careers in terms of a achievements and level of performance but messi has continued playing at the highest level longer, because age hasn’t affected him in the same way it has with Ronaldo. Ronaldo is far more reliant on his natural athletic abilities

Cheers Sherfam

conor-mcgregor-anthony-joshua.jpg

Last edited:
Ronaldo in football terms is about as elite as they come athletically. I can’t think of many better natural athletes. Messi has better close ball control and vision, Ronaldo always relied far more on explosive pace and power. He’s a great footballer as well, but without that aspect he really wouldn’t be the player he was, just a very good one

They’ve been neck and neck their whole football careers in terms of a achievements and level of performance but messi has continued playing at the highest level longer, because age hasn’t affected him in the same way it has with Ronaldo. Ronaldo is far more reliant on his natural athletic abilities
The guy I'm debating this with is a heavies poster. I can tell by his name. Those guys are obsessed with this "A Level athlete" idea that they have. It's an ignorant elitist viewpoint, which is ironic, considering that Ronaldo is quite literally an elite level athlete. This particular group of jaded individuals firmly believe that an athlete has to put up monster numbers at some sports combine to qualify as "A Level."

As evidenced a few posts above, they also think that all NFL players are highly explosive and fast. Ignoring that the average NFL player isn't. They don't understand the concept of positions in team sports, which range from extremely physically demanding to moderate, while continuing to focus only on an individual's raw athletic ability. As if an NFL quarterback even needs to be highly athletic (though it's great if they're able to run the ball well like Mahomes). Tom Brady sure as hell wasn't that impressive in a pure athletic sense but he's not only the GOAT QB he's the best player in NFL history regardless of position. Imagine him being labeled as less than an "A Level" athlete. It'd be absurd.

There's a key/legend underneath the ratings table that clearly explains each category. Every panelist also has a bio detailing their credentials. When you get your PhD and work with high level world class athletes on a daily basis then you can challenge their expert opinions. Okay? Nobody in their right mind would call Cristiano Ronaldo 'B' level. That's common sense. So, if he isn't that then he's 'A' level because he's literally the biggest star in all of sports. No individual athlete has a larger following.

So you agree with these "experts" that hockey players are "faster" than NFL players and stronger than rugby players?
The guy I'm debating this with is a heavies poster. I can tell by his name. Those guys are obsessed with this "A Level athlete" idea that they have. It's an ignorant elitist viewpoint, which is ironic, considering that Ronaldo is quite literally an elite level athlete. This particular group of jaded individuals firmly believe that an athlete has to put up monster numbers at some sports combine to qualify as "A Level."

As evidenced a few posts above, they also think that all NFL players are highly explosive and fast. Ignoring that the average NFL player isn't. They don't understand the concept of positions in team sports, which range from extremely physically demanding to moderate, while continuing to focus only on an individual's raw athletic ability. As if an NFL quarterback even needs to be highly athletic (though it's great if they're able to run the ball well like Mahomes). Tom Brady sure as hell wasn't that impressive in a pure athletic sense but he's not only the GOAT QB he's the best player in NFL history regardless of position. Imagine him being labeled as less than an "A Level" athlete. It'd be absurd.

I'm not obsessed with the whole "A level athlete" thing at all. The thread I replied to before it got merged was initially in UFC discussion and OP was pushing the whole "A level athlete" thing about Ronaldo to shit on MMA. I merely pointed out that theres nothing that really makes Ronaldo "A level" athletically compared to guys like Brock and Yoel. Being a great footballer doesnt automatically make you an A level athlete because its not that kind of sport. Different sports require different levels of speed, strength, size etc. Football/soccer is a high skill game that requires decent but not freakish levels of athletic ability. How many "freaks" do you see in that sport?

Funny thing is, i'm British, and grew up with football/soccer,and much prefer it to American football which I find boring as shit. But the size, strength, speed etc norms in American football are vastly, vastly higher. Ronaldo is straight up below average athletically compared to basically any NFL player that isnt a QB, kicker or the fatter slower side of the linemen. So no, he isnt an A level athlete.

The fact you're calling Tom Brady an A level athlete now shows you're just missing the point big time. When someone is described as athletic it means how fast they can run, how high they can jump, their reflexes, gas tank, how much weight they can lift, force they can exert etc etc, things that are transferable to a wide range of athletic pursuits. Brady is a great QB (which is a relatively non athletic position) but he sure as fuck isnt an "A level athlete".

So you agree with these "experts" that hockey players are "faster" than NFL players and stronger than rugby players?

I'm not obsessed with the whole "A level athlete" thing at all. The thread I replied to before it got merged was initially in UFC discussion and OP was pushing the whole "A level athlete" thing about Ronaldo to shit on MMA. I merely pointed out that theres nothing that really makes Ronaldo "A level" athletically compared to guys like Brock and Yoel. Being a great footballer doesnt automatically make you an A level athlete because its not that kind of sport. Different sports require different levels of speed, strength, size etc. Football/soccer is a high skill game that requires decent but not freakish levels of athletic ability. How many "freaks" do you see in that sport?

Funny thing is, i'm British, and grew up with football/soccer,and much prefer it to American football which I find boring as shit. But the size, strength, speed etc norms in American football are vastly, vastly higher. Ronaldo is straight up below average athletically compared to basically any NFL player that isnt a QB, kicker or the fatter slower side of the linemen. So no, he isnt an A level athlete.

The fact you're calling Tom Brady an A level athlete now shows you're just missing the point big time. When someone is described as athletic it means how fast they can run, how high they can jump, their reflexes, gas tank, how much weight they can lift, force they can exert etc etc, things that are transferable to a wide range of athletic pursuits. Brady is a great QB (which is a relatively non athletic position) but he sure as fuck isnt an "A level athlete".
Yes, I do agree with the experts. Why? Because they have the expertise to assess and evaluate athletes and each sport's individual physical demands. They're then able to make analytical and educated comparisons between these respective sports. On average NHL players may well be slightly faster than NFL players as their ratings table notes. For one they're typically a lot smaller. They have much less mass to move. That alone could give the average ice hockey player in the NHL a slight speed advantage over the average NFL football player.

Then you say that being a great football player doesn't make you an A Level athlete. Yet, you ignore that even the freakiest physical specimens (Bo Jackson) who've played the game weren't as successful as lesser athletic individuals like Tom Brady. There's more than just raw athleticism, yes skills are involved, but the best players have both with their raw athleticism ranging anywhere from good to great (within their respective sports if not in the absolute sense).

Why don't you just watch Track & Field since all you care about is physical performance? I was a star track athlete. A highly successful sprinter, distance runner, and high jumper. I don't know what being British has to do with anything. There are Brits here that are regs and some of them watch American Football. They're NFL fans. The league is expanding internationally, btw, so they're starting to play games all over the world now. The UK, Germany, Brazil, Australia, etc.

Certainl US sports are much more geared to athletism than sports that are popular over here, especially nfl. I don’t k ow too much about US footie but I assume in certain positions if you are a fckin unit and fast as greased shite, you can be a top player? Even the forwards in rugby Union have to have decent to good balling handling skills. There seems to be a bit more emphasis on athleticism in popular US sports, as opposed to our popular sports. That’s my take on it anyway

Regards football, I think Ronaldo is an exceptional athlete. He pretty much stands above other top players in this regard when he was in his prime

Just so you know Lesnar Turtle dude, Tom Brady would rate very high in about half of ESPN's sport performance criteria. Those criterion are below. You don't even factor in the ability to make split second decisions on-the-fly, how an athlete performs under pressure/duress, and so on because your idea of "A Level" athletic attributes is both ignorant and incomplete.
NERVE: The ability to overcome fear. Example: High-board divers, race-car drivers, ski jumpers.

DURABILITY: The ability to withstand physical punishment over a long period of time. Example: NBA/NHL players.

HAND-EYE COORDINATION: The ability to react quickly to sensory perception. Example: A hitter reacting to a breaking pitch; a drag racer timing acceleration to the green light.

ANALYTIC APTITUDE: The ability to evaluate and react appropriately to strategic situations. Example: Joe Montana reading a defense; basketball point guard on a fast break.

Yes, I do agree with the experts. Why? Because they have the expertise to assess and evaluate athletes and each sport's individual physical demands. They're then able to make analytical and educated comparisons between these respective sports. On average NHL players may well be slightly faster than NFL players as their ratings table notes. For one they're typically a lot smaller. They have much less mass to move. That alone could give the average ice hockey player in the NHL a slight speed advantage over the average NFL football player.

I cant believe i'm actually engaged in a serious argument about whether NHL players are faster than NFL players and stronger than rugby players. Or whether Tom Brady is an A level athlete.

Btw, what do you suppose, on that super scientific list made by experts, they meant by "martial arts"? why did they list "martial arts" as one thing? when they say wrestling do they mean freestyle or greco roman?

Just so you know Lesnar Turtle dude, Tom Brady would rate very high in about half of ESPN's sport performance criteria. Those criterion are below. You don't even factor in the ability to make split second decisions on-the-fly, how an athlete performs under pressure/duress, and so on because your idea of "A Level" athletic attributes is both ignorant and incomplete.

Yes Tom Brady is actually more "athletic" than Usain Bolt because he can throw a ball in the right place at the right time. Got it.

I cant believe i'm actually engaged in a serious argument about whether NHL players are faster than NFL players and stronger than rugby players. Or whether Tom Brady is an A level athlete.

Btw, what do you suppose, on that super scientific list made by experts, they meant by "martial arts"? why did they list "martial arts" as one thing? when they say wrestling do they mean freestyle or greco roman?
Because they did this in the early to mid 2000s (2002-2005). "MMA" was still very niche here especially in the US. When they say wrestling they likely mean folkstyle & freestyle. Think American collegiate wrestling (folk) and the international style freestyle which is the most popular worldwide. Greco-Roman is the other international style but it's far less popular. I wrestled but just about every Pennsylvanian does. My state is the best in the country (US). It's basically the Dagestan of America.

Just wanted to mention that because you keep naming wrestlers as your "A Level" athletes (Brock & Romero). Even though I recall Romero getting absolutely tooled in freestyle by Adam Saitiev, a much smaller, physically inferior athlete in your eyes.
Yes Tom Brady is actually more "athletic" than Usain Bolt because he can throw a ball in the right place at the right time. Got it.
That's a straw man argument. I never said he was more athletic than Bolt. Bolt is one of the best pure athletes in history. Not only does his 100m world record still stand he was also great at other distances and in the jumping events. Again, you just don't understand muscle memory, split second decision-making, problem solving, etc in a high level athlete. Synaptically their neurons are literally firing faster. The signaling in their brains works a lot better than a lesser athlete's. Neurologically they're superior at computation and completing tasks efficiently.

Back