Elections 2024 Iowa Republican presidential caucuses: Jan 15th

I don’t pay attention to her either.

But I don’t think the issue is that Joy Reid thinks the country currently “belongs” to someone else; the issue is that white evangelicals *fear* that the country will soon “belong” to someone else.

This fear is at the heart of many of their policies and ideas: the Great Replacement nonsense, laws that marginalize LGBTQ people, book bannings, dishonestly expanding the definition of CRT to encompass any sociological or historical study of race, laws that subjugate women…

It’s right in the label “conservative”—i.e., to “conserve” or “keep what we have”— and it’s implicit in the meaning of MAGA: to Make America Great Again (you know, like it used to be, *wink wink*, back when women and minority groups had no real voice in the societal conservation).
That's fine but she should word it a lot better then. Regardless that I disagree with her overall premise for the most part, she's paid to articulate points correctly and seems like this was a fail.

Lol, he has a completely unhinged take, just like Joy Reid. If any of that were true, why are the blacks in Chicago and NYC coming out to protest these things? Those aren't Evangelical whites. That is why Biden is the worst rated president ever, and these people coming out for Trump in historic shifts in the electorate.
I said interesting and well articulated — definitely didn’t agree with it

We’ll get a better idea of turnout in later primaries for sure. Iowa being a caucus in bad weather also lowered turnout.

And Biden is definitely beatable. I’m just saying Trump’s the one guy that can turn out enough opposition votes to lose.

My sense of how it will go down is, if Trump catches any felony convictions between now and November, he’s toast. If he manages to avoid having to face any decisions in those cases before the election, it’s a toss up (not sure who I’d favor until we get much closer). If he is tried and found not guilty on all counts in one or more cases, he will be seen as vindicated and will win a second term.

Of course that all depends on Biden remaining the dem nominee. If THAT changes, everything changes.
a sudden war involvement could also change things.

Oh, you're right, that is just a fringe minority of extremists then.
I didn’t say anything about fringe extremists, not sure where you’re getting that.

In 2020 he got 46.9% of the vote and lost. In 2016 he got 46.1% of the votes and won. Safe to say he’s got that 46-47% of votes locked up, and high turnout is probably bad for him.

Joy Reid isn't worth looking into that deeply. Best if we just condemn all racists like her.
it is a common thing with national news and even sports media. Give the dumb ass hot take, and then wait for it to get posted everywhere which leads to clicks for you.
I could say Patrick Mahomes is not a good QB, I at least know I will rile up the Chiefs fan base with that take.
It is like when Fox News recently ran a segment on Taylor Swift being a Pentagon psy-op.
I mean there is no way anyone there believes that bullshit, but they do know they will get a lot of Swiftie hate for it and get aggregated on social media. So all Jesse Waters has to lose is his credibility in exchange for more eyes on his program.
In the sports world Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith made millions with the hot take strategy.
Howard Stern always said based on research the people that listened to him the longest where the ones that hated him most.

Huckabee won Iowa in 2008, Rick Santorum in 2012 and Cruz in 2016. Based on recent history, Trump fucked himself by winning Iowa.

Nein! This is but the first of Der Orange Skull's glorious victories, as he embarks on his inevitable return to the White House. There, he will cure America of the disease known as, "Democracy" and replace it with the glory of the Reich Eternal!

Hail Hydra!;)

It’s an interesting and well articulated perspective.

I wonder, is there room for people who don’t think there is a “great replacement” effort but want to halt mass migration, don’t believe that there are dozens of genders, want to keep biological males out of women’s bathrooms/sports and think the whole movement is a net negative for society but also believe that adults can do what they want to their bodies in isolation, want to keep perverse books out of children’s libraries and believe “CRT” is a faulty framework that causes division rather than progress?

Those are my beliefs. I don’t believe they need to be framed in the way you have. I would say that there is an element of the Trump party that is incapable of nuanced understanding so they probably do frame it the way you do, unfortunately.

I don’t think my beliefs are extreme and it’s a shame we have to frame them in extreme terms. This is why we can’t come together as a country.

Without us getting stuck in the weeds on each topic you mentioned, I’ll say that I think you are asking a very timely and relevant question (assuming I’m understanding you correctly): Is there a place for a more traditional conservative in today’s Republican Party?

I don’t say this to sound dramatic— but I notice some definite parallels between the time we’re living in now, and the decade just prior to the Civil War. At that time, the Whig Party was going through the same thing the GOP is now; namely, they were being hijacked by extremist elements. That schism ultimately led to the demise of the Whig Party altogether.

There are a lot of good conservative Americans in this country, and I would implore them to take their party back from the Freedom Caucus/MAGA elements before it’s too late.

Remember: studies of other fascist regimes or insurgencies have shown that it’s typically only a small-ish percentage of the population thats truly gung -ho and fervent about the ideology. The rest are some mix of people who don’t really care since it won’t affect them directly, or believe that the end results will be good for the country overall, or brush off the concerns as being overblown (see the post directly above this one).

Lol, he has a completely unhinged take, just like Joy Reid. If any of that were true, why are the blacks in Chicago and NYC coming out to protest these things? Those aren't Evangelical whites. That is why Biden is the worst rated president ever, and these people coming out for Trump in historic shifts in the electorate.

Protest which things? Don’t confuse disliking Biden or opposing some of his policies with what I’m talking about, and don’t mistake me as saying that every Trump voter is voting for him for that reason.

I think there are certainly some Americans who are blindly ignorant of what I’m talking about; there are widely used media outlets like FOX and Newsmax whose main job seems to be to normalize and rationalize this type of rhetoric and policy positions. Likewis, Americans are famously one-issue voters (the economy), and don't put much thought into the specifics of it. “Do I feel like the economy was better back then than it is now” is about as deep as they get. Why the economy was that way, or why it is the way it is now, and what it’s doing and why, don’t really factor in much for a lot of Americans.

But make no mistake as to what MAGA is, at its core. It’s a fascist-oriented push to “take America back” for whites and Christians, as they used to be the main voice in our society and government, and they feel that immigrants, queer people, and POC have encroached on that. It’s the old “if their piece of the pie is getting bigger, then mine must be getting smaller” mentality.

That's fine but she should word it a lot better then. Regardless that I disagree with her overall premise for the most part, she's paid to articulate points correctly and seems like this was a fail.
Joy Reid is terrible and MSNBC is trash, so that doesn’t surprise me. I mean, I’m liberal AF and I won’t watch that shit.

Without us getting stuck in the weeds on each topic you mentioned, I’ll say that I think you are asking a very timely and relevant question (assuming I’m understanding you correctly): Is there a place for a more traditional conservative in today’s Republican Party?

or brush off the concerns as being overblown (see the post directly above this one).

Protest which things? Don’t confuse disliking Biden or opposing some of his policies with what I’m talking about, and don’t mistake me as saying that every Trump voter is voting for him for that reason.

I think there are certainly some Americans who are blindly ignorant of what I’m talking about; there are widely used media outlets like FOX and Newsmax whose main job seems to be to normalize and rationalize this type of rhetoric and policy positions. Likewis, Americans are famously one-issue voters (the economy), and don't put much thought into the specifics of it. “Do I feel like the economy was better back then than it is now” is about as deep as they get. Why the economy was that way, or why it is the way it is now, and what it’s doing and why, don’t really factor in much for a lot of Americans.

But make no mistake as to what MAGA is, at its core. It’s a fascist-oriented push to “take America back” for whites and Christians, as they used to be the main voice in our society and government, and they feel that immigrants, queer people, and POC have encroached on that. It’s the old “if their piece of the pie is getting bigger, then mine must be getting smaller” mentality.

Joy Reid is terrible and MSNBC is trash, so that doesn’t surprise me. I mean, I’m liberal AF and I won’t watch that shit.

I'm sorry, were you referring to my, "Orange Skull" post?

I don’t say this to sound dramatic— but I notice some definite parallels between the time we’re living in now, and the decade just prior to the Civil War. At that time, the Whig Party was going through the same thing the GOP is now; namely, they were being hijacked by extremist elements. That schism ultimately led to the demise of the Whig Party altogether.

There are a lot of good conservative Americans in this country, and I would implore them to take their party back from the Freedom Caucus/MAGA elements before it’s too late.

Remember: studies of other fascist regimes or insurgencies have shown that it’s typically only a small-ish percentage of the population thats truly gung -ho and fervent about the ideology. The rest are some mix of people who don’t really care since it won’t affect them directly, or believe that the end results will be good for the country overall, or brush off the concerns as being overblown (see the post directly above this one).

Right now there is no home for traditional conservatives. It's largely, and unfortunately, a messaging problem. The internet elevates the most extreme positions from the vocal minority. It's the only way to be heard in the millions of different voices vying for people's attention. So, any political voice on the right that isn't screaming at the top of their lungs isn't going to get heard. And very little intellectual discussion takes place among people screaming for attention.

The Trump train has to run its course. He either wins and ruins the nation or he loses again and is a 2x loser who ages out of another attempt.

Right now there is no home for traditional conservatives. It's largely, and unfortunately, a messaging problem. The internet elevates the most extreme positions from the vocal minority. It's the only way to be heard in the millions of different voices vying for people's attention. So, any political voice on the right that isn't screaming at the top of their lungs isn't going to get heard. And very little intellectual discussion takes place among people screaming for attention.

The Trump train has to run its course. He either wins and ruins the nation or he loses again and is a 2x loser who ages out of another attempt.

There absolutely is a place for traditional conservatives - the Democratic Party.

- Forever wars
- record profits for big businesses
- big government that answer to the MIC and the big banks.

There's no place for progressives. Progressives are just too dumb to notice so they vote for conservatives likes Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden.

The Republican party is now the home of radical reformers. Which is what America actually needs.

Yea I wonder why? Because their cult leader has been telling them that's what to believe since he lost. And because just like you, they're largely brainwashed idiots.
Not since, before. Dude was planting doubt in their minds prior to the election. It’s all orchestrated. There was no fraud, he’s a narcissist that refuses to acknowledge reality. Deep down I think he knew he was in trouble and just came up with an early excuse

Back