What's next for Max Holloway? (it is what it is)

It’s hard to say win or lose what would be next for max. Thing is he is one of “Dana’s guys “ and the ufc and Hunter really like him a lot. He is a fan favorite and FW legend/future HOF. Either win or lose against Gaethje I think max gets another big fight after this one. Let’s see how he looks again at lightweight. I hope he has been properly putting on weight and he looks bigger frame wise than last time. If he is doing it the same way as last time vs poirier then I think he just needs to stick to fw for the rest of his career.

Aside from potentially getting a life altering beatdown from Gathje, it's a sensible fight for Max to take. It isn't at 145, so his stock doesn't go down in that division. If he loses he has a built in excuse of fighting at a higher weight class. He gets a big pay day. And if he wins his stock only goes up and he probably has the option of a big money fight at 155 (again) or fighting for the belt at 145 if Volk has a sudden drop off/loses.

Win/Win unless he gets a brutal beatdown/KO'd.

He beats Gaethje and then fights for the title

If he loses he doesn't have much to do unless Topuria beats Volk. In that case he should fight another top contender while the rematch happens and hope Volk loses again.

Max has been in purgatory waiting for Volk to lose/retire. If he loses at LW, probably gives up the LW dream and goes back down again and Gaethje is probably getting next title shot. If Max wins, well that's where it's complicated, because his TDD isn't Islam tier even if he beats Gaethje, its just going to be a hard fight to sell. End of the day its a fun scrap for fans, they should have more of these kinds of fights for 300, considering its once every 8 years.

As others have pointed out, Gaethje is up next, and it's a massive opportunity for Holloway. A win here will line him up for a title shot at 145, and might even earn him a chance to take on Islam Makhachev at 155.

I think his chances are being severely underestimated vs Gaethje

If he wins he should stay at LW

As others have pointed out, Gaethje is up next, and it's a massive opportunity for Holloway. A win here will line him up for a title shot at 145, and might even earn him a chance to take on Islam Makhachev at 155.

Yeah Islam is adamant about fighting June/july

Armen/charles, Gaethje/max, bsd/porier & gamrot/rda all going down only a couple months prior

Depending on who’s available for June/July it’s totally plausible if max wins they go with him

Max has been in purgatory waiting for Volk to lose/retire. If he loses at LW, probably gives up the LW dream and goes back down again and Gaethje is probably getting next title shot. If Max wins, well that's where it's complicated, because his TDD isn't Islam tier even if he beats Gaethje, its just going to be a hard fight to sell. End of the day its a fun scrap for fans, they should have more of these kinds of fights for 300, considering its once every 8 years.

I think you are underselling Max's ground game. It's way better than Gaethje's. If he wins he's as legitimate of a title contender as anyone else.

I think you are underselling Max's ground game. It's way better than Gaethje's. If he wins he's as legitimate of a title contender as anyone else.
Fair enough, I've never seen him ragdolled before at FW and he cuts so much weight to get to FW. Maybe I just haven't seen his defense enough.

Back