Don't count him out! Max Holloway vs. Justin Gaethje (This is a very winnable fight for Max)

big franklin

franklin
@Green
Reaction score
Don't count him out! Max Holloway vs. Justin Gaethje (This is a very winnable fight for Max)

I've noticed a lot of people here on the 'dog think Max stands no chance against Gaethje due to the size difference. A lot of 'doggers bring up the Dustin Poirier fight an example. However, I think this is a very winnable fight for Max. Here's why.

First things first, let me put it out there: I'm a huge Max Holloway fan. However, just because I'm a fan of Max that doesn't mean I'm blinded by bias. Max 'n' Justin are both headstrong fighters. Max famously said that fighters like himself, Justin and KZ are 'the last of a dying breed'. I agree 100%.

What I like about Max 'n' Justin is that they're both headstrong fighters who let their fighting do all the talking. Justin is a weight class above Max but Max actually stands a strong chance of winning this fight. Max needs to play his cards right.

I've watched a lot of Justin's fights. One key observation is that Justin is at his most vulnerable when he's pressured. Give him too much respect or let him dictate the pace, and you're gonna end up like Tony Ferguson. That's just a fact.

The good news for Max is that he's a volume fighter with a granite chin. Khabib's granite chin allowed him to pressure Khabib and secure the takedown. There aren't many fighters with granite chins, but Max is definitely one of them. In fact, I think Max is the only granite-chinned fighter in the FW division. LW doesn't have any granite chinned fighters.

Max's granite chin + high output is his key to victory against Gaethje. Max must 'weather the storm' and keep pressuring Gaethje. Eventually Justin will begin to wilt.

I'm a huge fan of Max. Justin is OK. However, I respect both fighters for being headstrong and willing to take on anyone.

This is a opportunity for Max to beat an elite LW fighter and become the no. 2 GOAT of the FW division (after Aldo).

giphy.gif

Boxing, Max is better by far

Where Justin will find success is mixing in those leg attacks as thats prob Max’s biggest weakness and one of Justins main weapons

You can’t take too many of those leg kicks and Justin knows it. He’s been setting up his hands nice lately too, even off the kicks

Durability is high here so I expect these guys to beat the ever living shit out of each other

I love the fact you can get around 2-1 on Max right now , I’m hoping the line inflates as we grow closer to the fight

Let me employ some basic MMA math -

What Poirier did to Holloway + What Gaethje did to Poirier = Max Loses

In conclusion...........
Nah - but since when are MMA fights predictable anyway??

Last edited:
What Poirier did to Holloway
Max looks like he put on proper weight this time around. He looks noticably more muscular. It should help, so long as it doesn't sap his insane cardio.

Whether or not Max handles the leg kicks will be a significant factor. I've never see Max show ill effects from leg kicks, but Gaethje's kicks are brutal.

Do Bronx had a really effective way of countering Justin's kicks: he picked up his lead leg and pointed his foot back. Justin's kicks either made some contact and then slid under Charles's foot or the kick missed entirely.

Huge fan of both fighters, so looking forward to this fight. I think Max is going to surprise people.

I think Holloway has the skill set to win a decision, but it all depends on how he approaches this fight...

If he chooses to fight smart and focus on avoiding anything big from Gaethje, he could win a decision…

If he chooses to fight that brawling crowd-pleasing style, it could end badly…

Max has limited panic wrestling skills. It could be a long (or short) painful fight for him.

But I'll be proudly shouting my support for Max!

I believe its winnable, but damn, it wont be easy and most likely goes the wrong way for Holloway, rooting for him tho, the man needs a belt around his waist, even if its a fake one, he has proved to be a BMF himself time after time (see Lamas fight), former undisputed champion, one of the best FW to ever do it.

In conclusion...........
Poirier just fought Gaethje and finished him 2 fights before he went to decision with Max, which were a lot closer in time than Gaethje/Poirier rematching 5 years later.

Gaethje's been finished 4 times, Max has only been finished once, and that was 12 years ago when he'd just turned 20. Max hasn't even been knocked down. Not really sure why anybody would count him out.

I've noticed a lot of people here on the 'dog think Max stands no chance against Gaethje due to the size difference. A lot of 'doggers bring up the Dustin Poirier fight an example. However, I think this is a very winnable fight for Max. Here's why.

First things first, let me put it out there: I'm a huge Max Holloway fan. However, just because I'm a fan of Max that doesn't mean I'm blinded by bias. Max 'n' Justin are both headstrong fighters. Max famously said that fighters like himself, Justin and KZ are 'the last of a dying breed'. I agree 100%.

What I like about Max 'n' Justin is that they're both headstrong fighters who let their fighting do all the talking. Justin is a weight class above Max but Max actually stands a strong chance of winning this fight. Max needs to play his cards right.

I've watched a lot of Justin's fights. One key observation is that Justin is at his most vulnerable when he's pressured. Give him too much respect or let him dictate the pace, and you're gonna end up like Tony Ferguson. That's just a fact.

The good news for Max is that he's a volume fighter with a granite chin. Khabib's granite chin allowed him to pressure Khabib and secure the takedown. There aren't many fighters with granite chins, but Max is definitely one of them. In fact, I think Max is the only granite-chinned fighter in the FW division. LW doesn't have any granite chinned fighters.

Max's granite chin + high output is his key to victory against Gaethje. Max must 'weather the storm' and keep pressuring Gaethje. Eventually Justin will begin to wilt.

I'm a huge fan of Max. Justin is OK. However, I respect both fighters for being headstrong and willing to take on anyone.

This is a opportunity for Max to beat an elite LW fighter and become the no. 2 GOAT of the FW division (after Aldo).

giphy.gif
"This is a opportunity for Max to beat an elite LW fighter and become the no. 2 GOAT of the FW division (after Aldo)."

Ok, now you're just delusional.

giphy.gif

Please don't take Max's side you fairweather fan.

In conclusion...........
What about what Poirier did to Gaethje?

I honestly can't believe how much people still can't see that Gaethje is legitimately skilled now. His days of the drunken brawler have long been over. Rewatch his fight against Dustin, he looked very fast, refined, technical and brilliant all around. That round 1 I think was honestly the best I've seen Gaethje defensively, Poirier barely hit him. He made the read and picked his shot well, and got the KO.

Max is going to get beat up very bad, this was a terrible idea from day 1. LW is not his weight class.

Back