The problem with Max Holloway, Justin Gaethje, and Tony Ferguson... (addressing the elephant in the room)

big franklin

franklin
@Green
Reaction score
The problem with Max Holloway, Justin Gaethje, and Tony Ferguson... (addressing the elephant in the room).

Max, Justin and Tony.... I've written about these 3 fighters before in my '3-sided coin theory' thread. I'm a huge fan of Max. Justin is OK. Personally, I don't really like this Tony Fergusan scrub However, there's one thing I wanted to discuss about all three fighters that I feel no one wants to talk about. So let me address the 'elephant in the room' (or octagon in this case).

Max, Justin and Tony.... we need to talk about damage. Not damage given, but damage taken. I feel that all 3 fighters absorb way too much damage. In Tony's case, we saw the consequences. He is now on a 7 fight losing streak and is completely delusional (possible CTE side-effect).

Max and Justin... they're still relatively young. But if they keep at it with their sponge fighting style (absorbing damage to give damage) then they're going to follow in the footsteps of Tony Ferguson.

There's a reason Floyd Mayweather hasn't aged a day (mentally and physically). He has tremendous boxing defence, which has given his career plenty of longevity.

Personally, I would hate to see Max in a bad state. I really like the guy.

Justin... I think that guy was just born a bit special.

Tony is long gone. There's no saving him.

The point I'm trying to make: Max 'n' Justin need to work on their striking defence.

tenor.gif

Max Holloway just loves to stand and trade. I do hope the Gaethje fight doesn't ruin his career like it did Ferguson. Max is just too tough for his own good

He holds both the record for

- Most total strikes landed in UFC history (3441)

as well as

-Most significant strikes absorbed in UFC history (2121)

Yeah they do take way too much flush shots, you can get away with it when you are young, but it catches up to you, and thats what happened with Tony. He's just not as fast as he used to be and not as agile so all those shots that were glancing before are now landing flush.. he fights the same way as he always has, but he is nowhere near as fast anymore and guys can just land on him much easier. He's never ever had a good defense.

The guys with the best defense will last a long time, thats why I honestly think Jones can have many many many more years left, he is nowhere near done, because his defense is so good, he barely takes any flush shots and its just not easy to land on him. He can easily fight 40+ and will be fine I reckon

@big franklin I like Volk but imo the elephant in the room is that he might be too old to get the title back 😂

Was never a big Jones fan. But imo the elephant in the room with him is that he failed some drug tests!

True with all of that. I don't know if Max and Justin can improve that much at this point. They going the distance with what has gotten them this far.

Yes but are you going to address the elephant in the room?

See now that you've discussed 3 fighters in depth you would be well served to get to the bottom of things, addressing the elephant in the room.

In other words, since all 3 fighters take a lot of damage we can thus address the elephant in the room.

Gaethje doesn't take all that much damage anymore.

He was badly badly rocked quite a few times in his first few UFC fights, but he has gotten significantly smarter about angles and distance. He still plays a dangerous game, but blocks with his face quite a bit less.

Yes but are you going to address the elephant in the room?

See now that you've discussed 3 fighters in depth you would be well served to get to the bottom of things, addressing the elephant in the room.

In other words, since all 3 fighters take a lot of damage we can thus address the elephant in the room.
im the elephant in this room and i feel particularly neglected

Max Holloway just loves to stand and trade. I do hope the Gaethje fight doesn't ruin his career like it did Ferguson. Max is just too tough for his own good

He holds both the record for

- Most total strikes landed in UFC history (3441)

as well as

-Most significant strikes absorbed in UFC history (2121)

Max is also cutting an absurd amount of weight at 145... together with absorbing these amounts, it spells trouble.

He needs to stay at 155 as well as work on defence.

There is no elephant in the room. As someone else has mentionned, this topic is very much talked about.

Tony being Tony is not a result of CTE due to the damage he has taken. You can go as far back as the TUF days. The guy has always been weird and a little unhinged.

it's one of those bullshit AI articles where you read 10 lines and still nowhere near the point.

Reactions: HHJ
The success of all aforementioned fighters is built on the backs of their style. They are all up there in age now and have had long careers. Its not likely they are going to transform into sound defensive fighters all of a sudden, and re-balance their styles. Sure, Max and Gaethje can dial it back a bit, but that would mean that their styles that brought them wins will also change and there is no guarantee necessarily that would at this point in their careers be effective (prolong their careers is likely). Fighters should evolve certainly, but there is a give and go when introducing new elements.

Looking forward to TS' next thread where he addresses another elephant in the room. Alex Pereira hit hard.

The success of all aforementioned fighters is built on the backs of their style. They are all up there in age now and have had long careers. Its not likely they are going to transform into sound defensive fighters all of a sudden, and re-balance their styles. Sure, Max and Gaethje can dial it back a bit, but that would mean that their styles that brought them wins will also change and there is no guarantee necessarily that would at this point in their careers be effective (prolong their careers is likely). Fighters should evolve certainly, but there is a give and go when introducing new elements.

George Foreman did it

Reactions: HHJ
Back