Don't count him out! Max Holloway vs. Justin Gaethje (This is a very winnable fight for Max)

As I've been saying since the fight was made: I'm a huge fan of both guys but I fucking HATE this fight.

There is very little chance that Max doesn't A) lose and B) get seriously fucked up doing it.

Of course I'm still going to watch it but I see this just like Justin's fight with Tony. (another super tough, super durable but very hittable striker)

It is winnable if his chin holds up and he can deal with the leg kicks. In a war of attrition Gaethje would gas before he does and give him chance to take over with sheer volume.

Still, he is a pretty clear underdog in this fight. I worry that if he gets KTFO he will never be the same again just like Volk.

I’m actually changing my mind as this fight looms closer and leaning towards max in this fight.

He looks like he took the jump up to LW seriously. If he did and gets going with his pace and volume on a very hittable Gaethje I could see it going his way.

All and all I think it will be a very exciting fight for how ever long it lasts.

I think Holloway will shock people with his performance. Seeing how Max body has changed, I think he'll have the power to hurt Gaethje.

You're obsessed with this fight man lol.

But yes, I'm not counting max out at all. Might even favor him. It's a close one.

I have a feeling that regardless of who wins this fight, that it will be similar to Frye vs Shamrock, an all out war of attrition that will start both fighters decline.

Wait till Justin starts landing that left hook and see how winnable this one looks. Justin is a really bad matchup for Max and is going to beat the fuck out of him.

Is Max still going to be the fresher fighter after taking the heavier shots?

Can he still come forward at an overwhelming pace when he is catching bombs?

Because I like your OP strategy and I do think Max will fight that way, but Gaethje does have it within his arsenal to cut angles and hit HARD.

CAN Max keep coming forward after an accumulation of Gaethje kicks?

Hats off to him if he can.

Max won't be the same after this fight. His durable chin will cause him to take a prolonged beating if he's still able to stand up after all the leg kicks.

how is this winnable whatsoever for max? he won't have the length and size advantage that he does at FW and he has no power. justin should walk right thru him and stop him.

Nope, Max is going to take a shit load of damage. Best case scenario is he gets KOd early without taking too much punishment. Irresponsible match making IMO.

I heavily favor Gaethje but if Max can survive the first two rounds I could see him turning the tide on a fading Gaethje in the championship rounds. Gaethje throws everything so hard that he inevitably starts to slow down. Max has a bottomless gas tank. That's the most realistic path for Max IMO. He has to turn the tide early enough in the 3rd not to drop the first three rounds though.

I think we might see Max's granite chin finally get cracked though. Gaethje SWINGS and Max is usually there to get hit. I don't know how many of those hammers he can take.

Max may end up in the hospital...He is too durable and takes too many shots.

I honestly can't believe how much people still can't see that Gaethje is legitimately skilled now. His days of the drunken brawler have long been over. Rewatch his fight against Dustin, he looked very fast, refined, technical and brilliant all around. That round 1 I think was honestly the best I've seen Gaethje defensively, Poirier barely hit him. He made the read and picked his shot well, and got the KO.

Max is going to get beat up very bad, this was a terrible idea from day 1. LW is not his weight class.
It's really wild. I was one of the first people counting him out back then but it's beyond obvious he's improved a great deal. He's accurate, hits hard, has an iron chin and great recovery. It's baffling to me that people think Max can win here.

I mean how lmao.

Max is finally gonna get finished

Everybody exaggerates the Poirier fight as if it wasn't super competitive. With that said I think this is an extremely tough matchup for Max and hard to imagine him pulling off the win considering the power difference and Gaethje's leg kicks... Yair was chewing Max's legs up to... Still got to pick Max to win tho, he knows what he is up against and I hope he has a good plan.

Max does in fact does have a granite chin but not a good idea to have Justin blast away at it. It will not end well for Max. If he isn't sustaining a lot of damage then his pressure could carry him to a W but we know he is likely to really get hurt coming in.

very winnable
(cte is a prize)

Back