Max Holloway + Justin Gaethje + Tony Ferguson = 3 sides of the same coin. Let me explain.

big franklin

franklin
@Green
Reaction score
Max Holloway + Justin Gaethje + Tony Ferguson = 3 sides of the same coin. Let me explain.

All 3 fighters have a lot of similarities, but also a lot of differences. Max Holloway is one face of a coin. Justin is the other face. Tony Ferguson is the edge of that coin. Let me explain.

Max and Justin have a lot in common. They are both strikers that depend heavily on their athleticism and chin. However, they are also very different fighters. Justin has KO power and depends a lot more on his lethal leg kicks. Max has the better chin and is also bigger for his division (respectively).

Tony Ferguson, like Max 'n' Justin, depends heavily on his athleticism and durability. Now that those 2 qualities of his have diminished, he is a very weak fighter. Tony Ferguson also lacks the fundamentals that Max 'n' Justin possess, hence why I say he is the 3rd face of the coin (the edge).

I am curious to see how Max 'n' Justin's careers play out. Justin spoke about retiring after a coupla fights but is he going to stick with his promise? All 3 fighters are very high mileage and experienced plenty of wars.

I don't want to see Max 'n' Justin retire on a 5 fight losing streak.

I am a big Max Holloway fan but I just don't see a path to victory with his upcoming fight against Gaethje. Both fighters are gonna be even more beat up than they already are.

df3829c-f8ce5167-d717-46b1-bfa6-192b58060f28.gif

I believe Tony could've beaten Gaethje had he not cut weight a second time in that short period. I think if Max put in proper time to put on muscle, his volume striking would be really effective but if he's coming in and not cutting weight like he did against Dustin... well I don't like his chances but he's proven me wrong before so it'll be interesting.

TS - your take is generally sound but why the coin reference. It brought nothing to your point and is a weak, unneeded analogy

All 3 fighters have a lot of similarities, but also a lot of differences. Max Holloway is one face of a coin. Justin is the other face. Tony Ferguson is the edge of that coin. Let me explain.

Max and Justin have a lot in common. They are both strikers that depend heavily on their athleticism and chin. However, they are also very different fighters. Justin has KO power and depends a lot more on his lethal leg kicks. Max has the better chin and is also bigger for his division (respectively).

Tony Ferguson, like Max 'n' Justin, depends heavily on his athleticism and durability. Now that those 2 qualities of his have diminished, he is a very weak fighter. Tony Ferguson also lacks the fundamentals that Max 'n' Justin possess, hence why I say he is the 3rd face of the coin (the edge).

I am curious to see how Max 'n' Justin's careers play out. Justin spoke about retiring after a coupla fights but is he going to stick with his promise? All 3 fighters are very high mileage and experienced plenty of wars.

I don't want to see Max 'n' Justin retire on a 5 fight losing streak.

I am a big Max Holloway fan but I just don't see a path to victory with his upcoming fight against Gaethje. Both fighters are gonna be even more beat up than they already are.

df3829c-f8ce5167-d717-46b1-bfa6-192b58060f28.gif
Great post, but a coin only has 2 sides

<WhatIsThis>

Justin completely destroyed Tony's chin... I really hope this fight doesn't end up the same way for Max, who is just too damn tough for his own good.

I see Max taking a LOT of damage in this fight :(

I feel like you've made a similar thread 3 times this week lol.

Anyways, max and justin have made plenty of money, so I doubt they'll need to go on a 5+ losing streak before retiring.

Coins don’t have 3 sides. Wait they might. Do we count the side of the coin as a side. Wait. What exactly is a side of a coin. Does a coin just have 1 side but two faces? Or 2 ends? A beginning and an end? Is a coin a triangle being 3 sided and all? You bring up a good point ts.

I feel like you've made a similar thread 3 times this week lol.

Anyways, max and justin have made plenty of money, so I doubt they'll need to go on a 5+ losing streak before retiring.
His threads are 3 sides of the same coin proving that life is a circle. Geometry mofo!

I kinda felt that later in his career that Ferguson's biggest strength was on the ground. He just didn't really flex his wrestling all that much. Then, as his skills depreciated, he started to get outwrestled/outgrappled and outstruck.

Stop trying to make Tony happen. He had bad fundamentals all along and was relying on pressure, durability, close calls, luck, and cheating for his win streak, and now we're rightfully seeing just losses once you take that away.

There's a reason why other older fights can still succeed without taking 7 losses in a row and it's because they actually have a skillset backing up their fights.

I don't know about all this "coin" talk. But people are way too quick to write Max off in this one, probably based on Max's loss to Dustin. I'd argue that Max matches up better against Gaethje than he did against Dustin.

Max's style is predicated on boxing and volume. But Dustin's hands are just as fluid and educated as Max's, and Dustin has more pop. That was always going to be a nightmare matchup for Max, unless he could get Dustin to gas out.

Gaethje, on the other hand, is a more diverse striker than Dustin, but his boxing isn't nearly as good. It's possible that Gaethje's leg kicks and power will be too much for Max; I fully expect Max to be hurt a few times in that fight. But it's also plausible that Max's hands and cardio give Gaethje major problems.

I believe Tony could've beaten Gaethje had he not cut weight a second time in that short period. I think if Max put in proper time to put on muscle, his volume striking would be really effective but if he's coming in and not cutting weight like he did against Dustin... well I don't like his chances but he's proven me wrong before so it'll be interesting.
Pre ACL surgery Tony could’ve beat Gaethje maybe. I looked back at the Pettis and Cowboy fights, I could see the decline already it just so happened that they were even more past it than Tony. I’m honestly Glad Tony never fought Khabib in 2020, would’ve been a fucking mauling.

Pre ACL surgery Tony could’ve beat Gaethje maybe. I looked back at the Pettis and Cowboy fights, I could see the decline already it just so happened that they were even more past it than Tony. I’m honestly Glad Tony never fought Khabib in 2020, would’ve been a fucking mauling.
I don't know man. I think at one point in time Tony was the only one who could've gave Khabib a challenge. Not saying he would win outright but if someone could have beaten him, I believe it could have been Tony. Sucks that the fight was canceled so many times. That fight was just too hard for the universe to handle.

Back