Don't count him out! Max Holloway vs. Justin Gaethje (This is a very winnable fight for Max)

Dustin wrecked him easily and Justin has double the killer instinct imo. Max gets finished in this fight.

It's really wild. I was one of the first people counting him out back then but it's beyond obvious he's improved a great deal. He's accurate, hits hard, has an iron chin and great recovery. It's baffling to me that people think Max can win here.

I mean how lmao.
I know bro, I've been a Max fan since day 1 but I foresee this being a very, very hard fight to watch.

We already saw Max against Poirier, he did not have the power to back Poirier off and he got in tons of trouble early. I really think we're gonna see something similar here, except Gaethje also has the ability to batter the legs too on top of that.

Don't count him out! Max Holloway vs. Justin Gaethje (This is a very winnable fight for Max)

I've noticed a lot of people here on the 'dog think Max stands no chance against Gaethje due to the size difference. A lot of 'doggers bring up the Dustin Poirier fight an example. However, I think this is a very winnable fight for Max. Here's why.

First things first, let me put it out there: I'm a huge Max Holloway fan. However, just because I'm a fan of Max that doesn't mean I'm blinded by bias. Max 'n' Justin are both headstrong fighters. Max famously said that fighters like himself, Justin and KZ are 'the last of a dying breed'. I agree 100%.

What I like about Max 'n' Justin is that they're both headstrong fighters who let their fighting do all the talking. Justin is a weight class above Max but Max actually stands a strong chance of winning this fight. Max needs to play his cards right.

I've watched a lot of Justin's fights. One key observation is that Justin is at his most vulnerable when he's pressured. Give him too much respect or let him dictate the pace, and you're gonna end up like Tony Ferguson. That's just a fact.

The good news for Max is that he's a volume fighter with a granite chin. Khabib's granite chin allowed him to pressure Khabib and secure the takedown. There aren't many fighters with granite chins, but Max is definitely one of them. In fact, I think Max is the only granite-chinned fighter in the FW division. LW doesn't have any granite chinned fighters.

Max's granite chin + high output is his key to victory against Gaethje. Max must 'weather the storm' and keep pressuring Gaethje. Eventually Justin will begin to wilt.

I'm a huge fan of Max. Justin is OK. However, I respect both fighters for being headstrong and willing to take on anyone.

This is a opportunity for Max to beat an elite LW fighter and become the no. 2 GOAT of the FW division (after Aldo).

giphy.gif
If Max can avoid the leg kicks or check them, Max will win imo. He has the straighter punches and the better jab imo.

If Max can avoid the leg kicks or check them, Max will win imo. He has the straighter punches and the better jab imo.

Skill for skill Max is the superior fighter. I really have no doubts about that statement.

When it comes to size, power and physicality, he's going to be a step behind. Max is a 'big' featherweight in the sense that he's a tall string bean. Dude is built like a coat hanger.

10lbs jumps are huge at that size. He's going to get over powered, not out skilled.

Anything is possible.

IMO - if Gaethje ever gets the sense that it is a real contest, the most probable outcome is destruction.
There are some people who can wither that storm, but Holloway ain't one of them.

I hope he doesn't get hurt bad.

I've said it before; I get Ferguson vibes on this one.
I think Holloway has been done ever since he squeaked at Volk3 in a staredown. He turned a corner right there and won't ever be back.

But hey, I hope he proves me wrong.

War Gaethje.

Going with Max. Looks like he is taking the jump to 155 seriously. He looks good

Back