What's next for Max Holloway? (it is what it is)

big franklin

franklin
@Green
Reaction score
What's next for Max Holloway?

I'm not 'feeling' this matchup between him and Gaethje... Not one bit. Here's why...

If Gaethje wins, he gets a 'shot' at the belt next. But he was already next up. Wait... will Gaethje even be 'next up' if Oliveira beats Arman? Oliveira was already supposed to be fighting for the strap. Does that mean Gaethje's a prize fighter now?

Max Holloway is 2nd in command of the FW divison. The problem is he's 0-3 against Volkswagen and no one wants to see a 3rd rematch. So if Max wins then are we forced to see that fight materialize?

And what happens if either fighter loses? They're both already no 1 contenders. Whoever loses will have to 'climb' the rankings again.

Pointless fight. Max deserves better.

giphy.gif

War Max!
I just hope Max doesn't receive a vicious beating which would lead to Tony Ferguson like downfall. Max is too tough for his own good. Has the most significant strikes in FW history but also has the record for Most significant strikes absorbed in UFC history (2121).

Hard to say what's next when he has a fight booked in, and the answer to that very question is dependent on the outcome of said fight.

Have a feeling this the fight where his chin finally cracks

I think its amazing how everyone knows Max's cardio and durability are God tier yet nobody has ever really tried to break him down to the body or chop the legs down. Sure Volk was successful with low kicks but they are like polite little slaps, Volk isn't a hard kicker. The flip is also true, I think Gaethje is weak to the body. If Max can endure early and keep pace, I think it's very possible he can win 3, 4 and 5 as Gaethje fades. Or if he works the body effectively/both.

Will be curious to see how Max's chin holds up though.

This is a gift for us fight fans. These guys aren’t divas, they’re anybody anytime type of guys. My advice is stop worrying about belts and rankings so much and enjoy these rare and unexpected matchups. God bless the action fighters who stay active. I don’t think this sets either guy back in any way unless there’s a catastrophic leg break. In fact this has the ingredients of a career defining classic. Really looking forward to this one.

Last edited:
If he loses and takes a lot of punishment vs. Gaethje, I hope retirement is next. Certainly could still beat good guys, but he's already a former champ and HOF legend, and has taken an extreme amount of damage over the years.

If Max beats Gaejthe does Volk really get the BMF 'title' by default? Or does he have to go to 155 and beat Max a 4th time.

I think its amazing how everyone knows Max's cardio and durability are God tier yet nobody has ever really tried to break him down to the body or chop the legs down. Sure Volk was successful with low kicks but they are like polite little slaps, Volk isn't a hard kicker. The flip is also true, I think Gaethje is weak to the body. If Max can endure early and keep pace, I think it's very possible he can win 3, 4 and 5 as Gaethje fades. Or if he works the body effectively/both.

Did you see his legs buckling and him being forced to switch stances in the first volk max fight?

Did you see his legs buckling and him being forced to switch stances in the first volk max fight?
Its actually an interesting point because I think the stance switch killed max's chance to win that fight. even when his leg was beat up, he fought better out of his normal stance. everytime he switched stances he got beat up worse.

The only thing that is next for max is that it is what it is and thats all we all need to know because you know....... it is what it is.

We finally get a purely fun fight with no rankings being screwed up, no real titles on the line, no implications, and people bitch about it. Honestly, the modern day cycle of fighting for the title, inevitable rematch, chase a second title, etc is getting boring. Why can't we have more whacky fights? Two guys who want to scrap just fighting to fight. What's so wrong with this???

Oh, and Gaethje is next.

I'm not sure if it's volk not being a hard kicker as much as it is Max just being tough as fuck. Aldo, stephens and Yair are hard kickers, and they tried kicking the shit out of max's legs and landed a lot of hard ones, but max took them all well -- volk actually had more success with the kicks against max than any of those powerful kickers. Max just has thick ass calfs and can take damage well pretty much everywhere. I will be curious to see how Max approaches gaethje's leg kicks since it's such an obvious weapon for gaethje that I'm sure Max must have something up his sleeve.

Its actually an interesting point because I think the stance switch killed max's chance to win that fight. even when his leg was beat up, he fought better out of his normal stance. everytime he switched stances he got beat up worse.

Yeah, volk mentioned that as part of the plan because he knew max's defense wasn't quite as good from southpaw.

What's next for Max Holloway?

I'm not 'feeling' this matchup between him and Gaethje... Not one bit. Here's why...

If Gaethje wins, he gets a 'shot' at the belt next. But he was already next up. Wait... will Gaethje even be 'next up' if Oliveira beats Arman? Oliveira was already supposed to be fighting for the strap. Does that mean Gaethje's a prize fighter now?

Max Holloway is 2nd in command of the FW divison. The problem is he's 0-3 against Volkswagen and no one wants to see a 3rd rematch. So if Max wins then are we forced to see that fight materialize?

And what happens if either fighter loses? They're both already no 1 contenders. Whoever loses will have to 'climb' the rankings again.

Pointless fight. Max deserves better.

giphy.gif

UFC have been booking themselves into a corner with the 145 vs 155 matches.

Best thing that can happen is Max wins and goes on a run at 155.

If he loses and drops back to 145, the division has taken a serious knock especially if Volk defends at the weekend.

Volk vs Max IV: Another Fight Between the Also-Rans holds no appeal whatsoever.

Back