UFC has ruined 3 divisions within 24 hours

They didn't hire a new matchmaker.
Sean Shelby & Mick Maynard still have their jobs.

You actually like watching Izzy? Did you see the Cannonier, Yoel, or Vettori fights?

he’s like Anderson was

it wasn’t always fireworks but knowing that it could be was enough

there is still a mystique there — for me at least.

or maybe he’s just the closest thing we have to Anderson now and I’m nostalgic

shrug

Meh, 99% of UFC fighters are replaceable these days.
They all look and fight alike. I don't really care who's fighting who.
The days of unique fighting styles is long gone, unfortunately.
Lol, bullshit! There are plenty of fighters with very unique style and else fights like them!

HW: Gane, Aspinall and Almeida are all unique
LHW: JIRI!!! Was one of a kind type of a fighter. Pereira, Johnny Walker are quite unique too
MW: Strickland, DDP, Izzy

I could go all day naming fighters with unique styles, who fight nothing like each other

I blame the new matchmaker they just hired. Nice job ruining 3 divisions in your first day lol

Islam vs Volk 2 at 155lbs: This one isn’t as bad, just that there were many other good options for a replacement for Charles than Volk. Apparently UFC had Gamrot (a real LW) as the “back up” fighter; what ever happened with that?? UFC also contacted Poirier (a real LW) and he accepted; What ever happened that as well??
Don’t get me wrong, Islam vs Volk is a dope fight, it just doesn’t make any sense and the fans would’ve preferred to see that fight with full training camps.

Ilia Topuria vs Max Holloway for Interim FW Title (Potentially): Just why??
Topuria can wait if he wants the Volk fight, why are we putting Max back in a title position? I’d rather see anything else than Volk vs Max 4. Now the FW title picture is a mess for NO REASON. This didn’t need to happen.

Usman vs Chimaev at 185lb: Winner gets a title shot??
Khamzat is a part time MW with 0 ranked wins at MW & Usman isn’t a MW. How does beating either warrant a title shot??
The UFC has done a good job of booking fights on the fly after Costa and Oliveira dropped out. I'm not looking too far ahead. Abu Dhabi is very important to the UFC.

stripes-francis-francis.gif

I agree on 155 & 185 but I do wanna see Topuria get a better win than fucking Emmett for his title shot. And if he can't beat Max then he shouldn't be fighting for the belt anyway

Thiiiiiiis is what i think as well. Its also a fight I've been repeatedly saying I preferred to watch.

Yep they def cut up Olives and infected Costa's elbow

If people have to go around Max Holloway instead of through him to get a title shot, they don't deserve the title shot.

For the past decade Max hasn't lost to anyone at FW besides Volkanovski. Saying "if you can't beat Max you don't deserve a title shot" is setting a massively high bar.
You'd have a point if Max wasn't active. He's fighting more than the guys coming up trying to leap frog him to a title shot.

I fucking hate it, especially Max vs Topuria. Pretty please don't let this fight happen, i'd be super disappointed if Max won and we.hsd to see Volk vs Max again for the fucking 4th time. Someone needs to talk some sense into Topuria.

I agree, particularly regarding Volk at 155. There's no need to run that fight back. There's even less need to have Holloway fight Volk for the fiftieth time.

If Volk wanted to fight again at 155 give him someone else and let him get a win.

Also, the champ-champ stuff is bullshit. Getting an automatic title shot in a division you have zero wins at is bullshit. It isn't even a legit title when you don't have to fight your way there.

Meh, 99% of UFC fighters are replaceable these days.
They all look and fight alike. I don't really care who's fighting who.
The days of unique fighting styles is long gone, unfortunately.
Concur. I hate most mainstream things but when it comes to fighters, the mainstream ones are the only ones that matter imo.

Lol.

Topuria is not beating max.

I wanted to see Volk v Topuria but hey ho.

I blame the new matchmaker they just hired. Nice job ruining 3 divisions in your first day lol

Islam vs Volk 2 at 155lbs: This one isn’t as bad, just that there were many other good options for a replacement for Charles than Volk. Apparently UFC had Gamrot (a real LW) as the “back up” fighter; what ever happened with that?? UFC also contacted Poirier (a real LW) and he accepted; What ever happened that as well??
Don’t get me wrong, Islam vs Volk is a dope fight, it just doesn’t make any sense and the fans would’ve preferred to see that fight with full training camps.

Topuria can wait if he wants the Volk fight, why are we putting Max back in a title position? I’d rather see anything else than Volk vs Max 4. Now the FW title picture is a mess for NO REASON. This didn’t need to happen.

Khamzat is a part time MW with 0 ranked wins at MW & Usman isn’t a MW. How does beating either warrant a title shot??
<36>

Usman/Chimaev being for the 185 title shot is absolutely insane.
No one to blame for that other than Ducking Du Plessis. I have a much worse name for him but i am already carded because of a butthurt mod so i best not go there.

I think Max is getting the interim belt so he can be declared champ if Volk wins at 155. I think 1 and 2 are a package deal of sorts.

185 is emptier than a nun. If GSP can get a title shot when MW was stacked despite the UFC knowing he would vacate hard to have a problem with a top 5 P4P great willing to fight a title eliminator IMO.

These are frankly not awful decisions.

They are good, exciting fights

Belts and weight divisions are for kids and nerds
I like this take. We complain a lot about the lack of meritocracy in the sport, and these moves do reek of that, but at least in this case we get three bangers. These are all great fights regardless of how much sense they make in the division title pictures.

Back