Now That Yoel's UFC Career Is Over, Where Would You Rank Him Amongst GOAT UFC 185ers???

Just a reminder. Bisping got a fluke win over Rockhold and became champ. Romero was the CLEAR #1 contender at the time, but Bisping was desperate not to fight him. Bisping took a fight with Hendo's 45 year old ghost instead (who still beat the fuck out of Bisping. Smashed Bispings face and gave him 2 broken orbitals but Bisping managed to run around the ring 3/5 rounds and outpoint him to a decision prior to the 10-8 rule change). Then Bisping skipped Yoel again to fight GSP's ghost. GSP also wanted none of Yoel so he vacated.

Had Romero got the shot he should have versus either of those guys he basically gets a free title.

As it was, his only 2 shots ended up being vs the 2 other best fighters in MW history, Whittaker and Adesanya - one of which be beat and was robbed and the other was a split L.

Point is - there is a hell of a lot more to becoming champ than your fighting ability. Look at Tony Ferguson's trajectory vs Conor. Tony needs 10 wins to get a title fight. Conor needs 1 or none.

To become champ you need to be good (usually) enough, but it is also largely dictated by external factors you can't control. Luck, does the UFC like you, are you a draw, what era are you in, do you match up well or poorly vs the current champ.

It doesn't make sense to knock yoel or instantly disqualify him from lists because he didn't win the UFC's toy belt. Plenty of fighters clearly worse than Romero have won belts due to fortunate circumstance. Just look at Sterling
I see your point. Yoel was so hard done by as far as title opportunities. His performance against Izzy is reason enough to keep him out of GOAT discussion.

Bru u just listed like 7 fights were Bisping got fucking annihilated and somehow are trying to spin at as he is a better fighter than Yoel? Lmao. Bisping was probably on roads too, it is pro sports. Noone gives a fuck about steroids. We care about what happens in the cage and that is it
OK sure. I personally care about MMA as a sport. Yoel is a cheater, misses weight for two title fights and couldn't win a title in 4 chances. Not a GOAT contender at all.

You don't. Yoel lost every big fight he ever had except Weidman and Rockhold (and should've lost to Kennedy).

Being a tough fight for anybody doesn't make you the best. As showed by his 3 title losses where he repeatedly was given the chance to prove he was #1 and not somewhere behind that.

Yoel doesn't have the résumé of a GOAT but I'd bet on him to win against any of the traditional GOAT candidates. I think that distinction is what's driving a lot of the discourse in this thread

Correct, prime for prime Romero is the betting favorite versus anyone in history at MW other than Adesanya and arguably Silva (but i would bet on Romero at up to -130)

Are we going on overall greatness??? He is god tier in some factors... But actual overall greatness... He has always fallen short... And there are other men who have shown true greatness. Who have achieved the best and defended it.

He is for sure hall of Fame... He is a once in a lifetime competitor and athlete, with a story you can't fabricate. He has been a part of some amazing fights... But he never excelled to the top during his era(s) and the top 5 all time should be reserved for those in their time dominated the top.

He robbed jacare
Should of been dq from kennedy fight
Rocky had no chin
Machida was old
Izzy completely nullified yoel with legkicks
Silly arguments. You could belittle GSP’s record with the same logic.

Back