Now That Yoel's UFC Career Is Over, Where Would You Rank Him Amongst GOAT UFC 185ers???

Are we talking about Tim Kennedy?
Ahead of Romero achieving what?

His best win is a LnP over Bisping and he never fought for the HW belt.
He did fought for the SF belt and was easily 49-46d by Rockhold
Kennedy > Romero
He KO'd him and Yoel cheated.
Kennedy never missed weight
Kennedy never pissed hot.
Kennedy also has a win over the GOAT.

Mr. Dipstick, just based of UFC performances at 185, do you really believe all those guys had a better run than Yoel???
Everyone who won a title fight in the UFC at MW yes.
If we are going with all of the Yoel won the Izzy fight, Yoel should have won the close fights he lost blah blah blah then Bisping is miles better. All but one of his losses at MW were to TRT/Steroid cheats in Sonnen, Henderson, Wanderlei & TRTitor. His loss to Kelvin doesn't count as he should not have been sanctioned to fight so soon. Losing to the GOAT in GSP is nothing to be ashamed of. Other then that he lost a Lay n Pray decision to Kennedy and a sub loss to Luke which he avenged.

Yoel was a great fighter. The hyperbole of his excuse makers is much more ridiculous then what I posted. He lost 4 UFC title fights. Two of them he lost to the scale. The constant claiming he won his title fight vs Izzy is insane. How can you not put all of the blame on Yoel for not fighting. He was far more responsible for that horrible fight and the blame can't be laid at Izzy's feet.

Dude is the epitome of records are deceiving.

If those razor thin Split decisions had gone the other way, Yoel would only have 1 loss at MW and be champ with wins over Whittaker, Costa and Izzy.

I agree, and think Yoel actually won those split decisions. However he only has himself to blame as he made the fight hard to score.

Dude is the epitome of records are deceiving.

If those razor thin Split decisions had gone the other way, Yoel would only have 1 loss at MW and be champ with wins over Whittaker, Costa and Izzy.

Yep, and Whittaker 2 wasn't close. Yoel beat the fuck out of him. Costa I guess was controversial but romero won that fairly easily as well. Adesanya did nothing but the ufc was never gonna feed him a decision loss of they didn't absolutely have to like the Jan fight

If we are going with all of the Yoel won the Izzy fight, Yoel should have won the close fights he lost blah blah blah then Bisping is miles better. All but one of his losses at MW were to TRT/Steroid cheats in Sonnen, Henderson, Wanderlei & TRTitor. His loss to Kelvin doesn't count as he should not have been sanctioned to fight so soon. Losing to the GOAT in GSP is nothing to be ashamed of. Other then that he lost a Lay n Pray decision to Kennedy and a sub loss to Luke which he avenged.

Yoel was a great fighter. The hyperbole of his excuse makers is much more ridiculous then what I posted. He lost 4 UFC title fights. Two of them he lost to the scale. The constant claiming he won his title fight vs Izzy is insane. How can you not put all of the blame on Yoel for not fighting. He was far more responsible for that horrible fight and the blame can't be laid at Izzy's feet.

Not even on the list...

U must be a champion to be considered a GOAT...

Wtf is this shit....GOAT status is earned theres no participation trophy here
If you want to knock him for never winning a title, I get that. That's why I have him only at number 5. But other than that, you guys are arguing against points I never tried to make.

I never tried to excuse his losses. Just as I said to a previous poster, let's not rewrite history to make an argument. So just as Yoel had close controversial calls against him, he's had a few go his way as well, fir example the Kennedy and Jacare fights. And for the Record it was Yoel who Koed Kennedy.

Also Yoel went on an 8 fight win streak upon entering the UFC. Six of those being stoppages by KO/TKO. His last victory over Rockhold had him at 9-1 in the UFC. How many 185ers had that kind of UFC run against that kind of competition?

Bisping is miles better? Bisping wouldn't even take the hard fights Yoel would take, and when he did he got 1 shotted by Welterweight gastelum. Bisping was scared to fight Yoel; literally terrified of him. Yoel only lost controversial decisions vs Champs in their primes and he also beat multiple ex UFC champions. Every fighter is more than they w/l record which is largely dependent on fucking boxing judges who know nothing about the sport. Imagine believe Whittaker actually won the second yoel fight lmao.

Again, prime for prime, Romero kills anyone in MW history. He was going to splits with Champs in their primes at 40+ years old. The fighters themselves publicly stated they feared Romero more than anyone else.

Romero nearly killed Machida, Rockhold, Weidman. That is 3 UFC Champs. He beat Whittaker in the 2nd fight and should have actually got a title for it.

Yoel = MW goat. He fought in the hardest era of MW MMA (Silva was going life and death with scrubs like Sonnen and only looked amazing by beating dudes who wouldn't even make Bellator's roster in 2021)

Like seriously just compare Silva's wins and strength of schedule to Romero it is embarrassing.

Silva's wins:

Rich Franklin
Lutter
Marquardt
James Irvin
Cote
Griffin
Bonnar (lol)
Sonnen 2x.

Only good wins were Maia, Hendo, and non trt vitor (trt vitor kills him)

Once Silva started taking real fights he got fucked up.

Weidman 2x (yoel obliterated this man)
Bisping (lol - and you couldn't have payed Bisping 100 million dollars to fight Yoel)
Cormier
Adesanya
Hall
Cannonier

Silva got title records in what was essentially amateur MMA and is considered #1 by boomers here.

Don't even try to tell me yoel is outside the top 10. Yoel beats every single fighter Silva beat fairly easily and he also would (and has) beaten almost all of the guys Silva couldn't beat.

Romero goat

Last edited:
Also, your steroid arguments make no sense. Completely different issue to bad judging.

Bru u just listed like 7 fights were Bisping got fucking annihilated and somehow are trying to spin at as he is a better fighter than Yoel? Lmao. Bisping was probably on roads too, it is pro sports. Noone gives a fuck about steroids. We care about what happens in the cage and that is it

Not in the Top 10, I don’t think.

Everyone who actually won the belt > bloated Cuban drug cheating numpty.

Bru u just listed like 7 fights were Bisping got fucking annihilated and somehow are trying to spin at as he is a better fighter than Yoel? Lmao. Bisping was probably on roads too, it is pro sports. Noone gives a fuck about steroids. We care about what happens in the cage and that is it
Well in the cage Bisping won the belt and ya boy flopped it every time he got the chance..

If you want to knock him for never winning a title, I get that. That's why I have him only at number 5. But other than that, you guys are arguing against points I never tried to make.

I never tried to excuse his losses. Just as I said to a previous poster, let's not rewrite history to make an argument. So just as Yoel had close controversial calls against him, he's had a few go his way as well, fir example the Kennedy and Jacare fights. And for the Record it was Yoel who Koed Kennedy.

Also Yoel went on an 8 fight win streak upon entering the UFC. Six of those being stoppages by KO/TKO. His last victory over Rockhold had him at 9-1 in the UFC. How many 185ers had that kind of UFC run against that kind of competition?

For me, without a title one can not be listed as a goat no matter the streak...

Sean sherk beat everyone but champions..but without that belt he too didnt become a GOAT...regardless of his win streaks...it takes special breed to be at the top...

Anderson..

Izzy .

Henderson..

Franklin..

Whitaker..

Guys like this fill that GOAT role more then Romero IMO

Just a reminder. Bisping got a fluke win over Rockhold and became champ. Romero was the CLEAR #1 contender at the time, but Bisping was desperate not to fight him. Bisping took a fight with Hendo's 45 year old ghost instead (who still beat the fuck out of Bisping. Smashed Bispings face and gave him 2 broken orbitals but Bisping managed to run around the ring 3/5 rounds and outpoint him to a decision prior to the 10-8 rule change). Then Bisping skipped Yoel again to fight GSP's ghost. GSP also wanted none of Yoel so he vacated.

Had Romero got the shot he should have versus either of those guys he basically gets a free title.

As it was, his only 2 shots ended up being vs the 2 other best fighters in MW history, Whittaker and Adesanya - one of which be beat and was robbed and the other was a split L.

Point is - there is a hell of a lot more to becoming champ than your fighting ability. Look at Tony Ferguson's trajectory vs Conor. Tony needs 10 wins to get a title fight. Conor needs 1 or none.

To become champ you need to be good (usually) enough, but it is also largely dictated by external factors you can't control. Luck, does the UFC like you, are you a draw, what era are you in, do you match up well or poorly vs the current champ.

It doesn't make sense to knock yoel or instantly disqualify him from lists because he didn't win the UFC's toy belt. Plenty of fighters clearly worse than Romero have won belts due to fortunate circumstance. Just look at Sterling

Not top 5 in terms of resume IMO

BUT top 5 in terms of the best Romero not being an sizeable underdog fighting any MW at any point in time.

Not top 5 in terms of resume IMO

BUT top 5 in terms of the best Romero not being an sizeable underdog fighting any MW at any point in time.
No doubt to your last point. But just speaking of UFC success, how many guys have a better resume than Yoel???

Just counting wins in the UFC. Only a handful of guys had an 8 or better win streak.

I think he beat Adesanya and most people do he also would have gone to a draw with Whittaker and I need to rewatch the Costa fight I would say number 3
1. Anderson
2. Robert
3. Yoel

Yoel doesn't have the résumé of a GOAT but I'd bet on him to win against any of the traditional GOAT candidates. I think that distinction is what's driving a lot of the discourse in this thread

Back