Where do you place Leon Edwards in GOAT WW list?

Gsp

Usman
Hughes
Lawler
Shields
Leon
Woodley
Hendricks
Condit
Thompson
Diaz

Nice list although if we include MW record which I guess you do with Shields and Lawler, then Maia could be there as well.
Colby, Fitch and Rory have a case too imo.
Anderson Silva is a former WW champ btw

Nice list although if we include MW record which I guess you do with Shields and Lawler, then Maia could be there as well.
Colby, Fitch and Rory have a case too imo.
Anderson Silva is a former WW champ btw
I don’t include mw …..It’s a ww discussion……I could see fitch and Rory …..Sakuri win was good for Anderson…..but what’s his next best ww win ?

I don’t include mw …..It’s a ww discussion……I could see fitch and Rory …..Sakuri win was good for Anderson…..but what’s his next best ww win ?
Ah ok. Your list made sense to me if we valued wins at MW too.

Otherewise there is no way Robbie much less Shields are above Leon or TWood.

Colby as interim champ has a case for top10 even if I hate the guy

Lol you guys were doing this with Usman, and then even Woodley, before that.

GOAT means greatest of all time. That should be a short list. Anything else should be written as top 5 or top 10.

Does GOAT mean nothing? Literally only 2 WW's so far actually have a fair claim: GSP and Matt Hughes (to a lesser extent).

no buddy lol i never did.

Matt Hughes don't in any sense of the word over GSP

1. GSP
2. Hughes

edc40fae-7eb1-4d57-adc2-d153b3d43200_text.gif

You know what? It is really hard to tell. WW is historically weak right now.
This is how I see Leon :
6edyb9.jpg

WW rankings and how I see them :

C - Leon - I will overview Leon later down below.

1 Kamaru Usman - hard to tell where he is but he is MW right now. I thought that he is past prime because he was soooo gunshy against Leon in third fight. This KO really changed him and Leon has his number now. But he showed that he is capable of fighting elite Khamzat in new weight class so we can assume that during third Edwards fight he had off night or something.

2 Belal Muhammad - very hard to tell his standing. He has nice winning streak but it isn't that hard if you are looking at this division. Context matter so here we are : he beat bunch of C level players, lost to nice Geoff Neal then gathered 4 wins over another C level guys then NC to Leon which he was outclassed until eyepoke - had nothing on him. But fight is a fight eyepoke was early and everything could happen there. Then win over ancient Demian Maia by dec, then decisioned then past prime Wonderboy who was lay n prayed because Thompson was good match up for him. Vincente Luque is strange fighter - he is kill or be killed and looked quite bad during Belal fight but it is okay win. Then we got Sean Brady who looked like fish out of water but is good talent - maybe training with Khabib elevated Belal skillset that match or Sean had off night - hard to tell. Gilbert is inconsistent and was injured during fight so it is not that legit imo.
I always thought Belal as B level but looking at his achievements I will generously say he is A level talent so very good but not elite.
TL:DR what counts is
beating past prime Wonderboy who can't take on wrestlers via lay n pray
beating Vincente Luque who is in weird position now
beating Sean Brady who looked off
beating Gilbert Burns who was injured

3 Shavkat Rakhmonov - only fighter that I can surely say is elite. None known weaknesses, all finishes, straight to the point fighter.

4 Gilbert Burns - Giblert I thought is elite but is very inconsistent. He can be once elite like first round against Usman or struggle against B-level Masvidal. He peaked fighting nice fight against bigger Khamzat imo. I would say Gilbert can still perform elite but sometimes he crumbles. I would say he is S/A level

5 Colby Covington - very tough fighter to evaluate. His best showing is... losing to then elite Usman... twice. Rest isn't impressive - beating Masvidal isn't that good of showing for elite, washed Woodley was losing every round to every fighter he was pitted against just like washed Tony is doing right now. I thought he is elite but Leon fight... that Leon fight.. either injury is real or ring rust was a thing or he lost a step. Can't tell til next fight.

6 Stephen Thompson - I would say in his prime Wonderboy was A level. Now past prime when they are putting him against wrestlers who are bad match ups for him I say he is B maybe B+

7 Sean Brady - I must say that Brady disappointed me. Once he is beating Craig Jones in grappling which was everyones surprise but then is losing to Belal when everyone was sure that he will beat. Maybe it wasn't his day or maybe his ceiling is lower than I thought. Who knows? WW is weird place. I would say Sean is A level with benefit of a doubt.

8 Geoff Neal - Geoff is better than I am giving him credit but worse than we all think. I would say he is A or B+

9 Vicente Luque - I thought that he is very good but he lost a step I think. B or B+

10 Ian Machado Garry - great striker with unknown ceiling but I think he is no more than B player. He is/will be overarchiever WW version of Paddy Pimblett.

11 Jack Della Maddalena - great striker with unknown ceiling. I am fan but Hafez fight showed that he has some flaws.

12 Kevin Holland - short notice fights really will hurt his legacy. Good fighter but no more than B/B+ level

13 Neil Magny - gatekeeper who is testing new talents. B

14 Michael Chiesa - best times are behind him. Now he is B at best.

15 Rinat Fakhretdinov - new prospect with uknown ceiling.

So we are going back to Leon again. Lets focus on his last 5 :
- NC against Belal where he was winning side until eye poke but fight lasted only 1 round.
- Dominant performance against paaaaaast prime Nate Diaz who somehow wobbled him last round and it is the only thing people remember,
- Fight against Usman. First fight he was dominated by Kamaru. This time Leon won 1st round, then he slowed and lost 3 next rounds comfortably. Disheartened Leon is going to his corner before last round and everyone is saying what he is doing - then he drops hail mary high kick to Usmans head to win WW belt.
- Third fight with Usman - I really don't like Nigerian Nightmare but he was clearly out of this fight. Gun shy terrified of another KO.
- Colby fight - Covington seemed reaaaaly off. Either injury was real, ring rust or Chaos lost step/ came closer to next step of evolution of fighter - became past prime. Hard to tell until next fight.

Other than that Leon notable wins were against RDA and Luque.

Where I am placing Leon in WW Goats? It is difficult to answer because WW is now really in bad shape.
MW is in similar shape but at least they have some good unranked MWs who can add something to division.
Everyone is shitting on LHW but it is at least top-heavy. WW is bunch of B level players today.

I really don’t agree with how high Woodley is on a lot of peoples’ list. The guy started his UFC career losing every second fight, then split Ded his way to a title shot and beat a fading Robbie (himself a lightning in a bottle champ). As the champion, he benefitted from the most fortunate matchups to hang on to the belt for a little while.

Watching Rory easily outpoint him made me realize what a limited fighter he was. Edwards is levels above this basic wrestleboxer and would 50-45 him, no question.

I like him. Well composed, respectable, and skilled/talented. Good character.
Probably a resume to work on though. GOAT of the division is GSP. Its a tough hill to climb.

Added sauce is t hat GSP won MW belt and retired undefeated. (Yeah, lame. Agreed.)

1st is GSP
2nd Tier is Hughes and Usman
3rd Tier is guys like Lawler, Nick Diaz, Hendrickx
4th Tier is McDonald, Woodley, Condit, Koscheck
Leon is between 3rd tier and 4th tier because he has not beaten a lot of good WWs so around number 8
Wins over Usman are great but Diaz and Dos Anjos were more LWs and Colvington was done

Back