Media Holly Holm Unlikely to Fight Kayla Harrison if Kayla Doesn’t Make Weight

Is Mike dolce still involved in MMA? That guy used to be the weight cutting guru that everyone called. I think he even helped Rumble Johnson make weight at 170 before. Kayla needs to call that dude up and go old school Dolce diet.
"just eat a handful of Spinach"

Good god I wish I could find that video of him making Ronda a burger with no bun

Harrison looked like she was NOT having a good day at weigh-ins against Ladd, who she fought at 150lbs. She's 5'8" and has bigger biceps, delts and traps than Dvalishvili, who I consider one of the more muscular 135ers at 5'6". I'm saying it now, she will not make 135 on April 13th, 2024.

View attachment 1026802
View attachment 1026805
She wont look like that and still try to make 135lbs, you will see some Miesha Tate looks change if she is actually serious on making 135.

she said if she can't get to the belt she doesn't want to fight but i mean, how long are you going to keep fighting? because it's not like she's ever gotten on a decent streak, all she does is win 1 or 2 and then lose 1 or 2 over and over again.

On a recent interview with Ariel, Ariel asked Holly if she is ok if Kayla misses weight by 2-3 pounds. Holly replied by saying Kayla signed on to make 135 (136) so she expects Kayla to be a professional and make weight.

Though Holly doesn’t specifically say she won’t fight if Kayla misses weight, she makes it clear Kayla needs to make weight. Holly even brings up the recent criticism of Wonderboy for not fighting his opponent who missed weight implying Wonderboy made the correct decision.

So there you go, there is a chance Holly’s fight with Kayla is scrapped if Kayla misses weight.

Starts at about the 5:10 mark.

(also, based on the interview, sounds like Holly’s fight will be on the prelims)

Thread title is misleading Holm doesn't say she won't take the catch weight. When the UFC throws a bag of cash for her to accept the 145 new weight she will just watch.

I don't think harrison is a bringing over much viewership. Her light is dim AF compared to when she thought she was going to get a super fight with Nunes 2 years ago. She turned down a fight with Cyborg at PFL, and elects to "try" to fight at 135? Harrison is one of the bigger wmma names, and still, the PFL didn't have much to offer her and didn't want her experimenting at 135, so they let her go. I think she's going to try to make 135 to reignite some kind of flame for her career. I also think she didn't have much leverage, and the UFC said, "WTF we can get her cheap and see if she can make the weight."
It's insane you think they got her cheap. As you say pfl was going to throw money at her to fight Cyborg AND she turned THAT down to supercut which she hates doing to get paid nothing? I'd be surprised if she's getting less than Chandler's debut she's doing this for the money and the future incentives of more money when she goes for the title.

...and now we can hope

Eat those damn burgers harrison

It'd be best for her if Kayla didn't make weight. The UFC would give her a serious bag to not pull out.

Rooting for kayla to miss so there's one less WMMA bout on 300.

Harrison looked like she was NOT having a good day at weigh-ins against Ladd, who she fought at 150lbs. She's 5'8" and has bigger biceps, delts and traps than Dvalishvili, who I consider one of the more muscular 135ers at 5'6". I'm saying it now, she will not make 135 on April 13th, 2024.

View attachment 1026802
View attachment 1026805
I see Merab's waist way wider/thicker than Kayla's which is certainly more relevant than a pumped up biceps

She wont look like that and still try to make 135lbs, you will see some Miesha Tate looks change if she is actually serious on making 135.

And Tate is already online talking about how the cut to 125 wrecked her performance.

It's insane you think they got her cheap. As you say pfl was going to throw money at her to fight Cyborg AND she turned THAT down to supercut which she hates doing to get paid nothing? I'd be surprised if she's getting less than Chandler's debut she's doing this for the money and the future incentives of more money when she goes for the title.

Insane?

Gonna be funny when Holm beats Harrison and winds up beating Pennington(again) for the belt at 43 or 44 years old

I support that 100%.

Sounds like a simple message to Kayla and to the UFC...be prepared to *pay* me if Kayla comes in heavy or I'm out (i.e., don't even think that some bullshit purse penalty will be enough to account for a weight miss).

Holly has leverage if this happens at the last minute because the UFC clearly would not like to see Kayla's debut cancelled on UFC 300 due to a circumstance that would hardly qualify as 'unforeseen'.

No way does Holly turn down a big name fight in a big time event

She has, and apparently she has made a couple of test cuts to 135. I am still very skeptical though.

I'm very hopeful, but not optimistic.

Is there any confirmation of her test cuts?

IIRC, someone (Dana?) said she had already successful cut to the BW limit. I hope that is true, but if it was him who claimed that...well, we know what 'Dana said' is worth :D

Somewhere else I think, it was said that she has already made several test cuts, but IIRC it was *not* specifically claimed that she made several test cuts *to 135/136*. That lack of qualification could suggest that she test cut to something higher, been comfortable enough with how that went to agree to 135 fight, etc. We just don't know and are left assuming that she would not agree to something that she isn't very confident she can do.

We are talking about a career LW suddenly dropping down two divisions to a weight limit she has never competed at since at least 2009 where (acc. to her Wiki), she moved up in judo from 63kg (138lbs) because there was no division...but she will now do so, at age 33, with all that competition mileage on her body?

I'm rooting for her...and for Holly to get that fight...but...the weigh ins should be very interesting!

I still think this could be a way to relaunch the FW division. If she can’t make 136. Let’s call FW Plan B.

I’m half expecting to hear at the beginning of the week that the fight has been changed to 146. They still have or will have 5 women that have fought or would rather fight at FW. Norma, Macy, Holly, GDR, and Kayla.

That was my first thought about this fight being at 136. It just seems like a massive cut. She’s done a test cut, or two. Test cut to what? All the way down to 135-136? Then did she spar 5 rounds the next day? Did a test cut is just pretty vague, imo.

And this is what the UFC did with Cyborg. She was supposed to come in at BW. She fought twice at CW140. Then they launched the FW division specifically for Cyborg.

I’m just saying it’s possible. The UFC intended to shut down FLW back in the day, and started cutting or trading away the best FLWs. Then suddenly we get Figgy/Moreno 4 times.

They can do the same thing with WFW. I could be wrong. But 136.. She moved up to 172 before she was 18 years old. That is a serious cut, and would probably require an actual change of her lifestyle, and physique. If she can make it cool. And if she can still perform good enough to beat Holly. I’d tip my hat to her on that.

That’s the most interesting part of this fight, imo. Can she make it? I have real doubts.

Planting the seeds for the UFC to bring some cold hard cash to the weigh ins if you want this fight to take place.

Back