Kayla Harrison: Test Cut - Everything Has Been Dialed In

Will Kayla Harrison Make Weight for UFC 300?

• Most definitely

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • 50/50

Votes: 35 30.7%
  • Not a chance. Better chance of Ferguson texting without emojis or hashtags

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • No, but Holly will accept a catch weight

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • Who is Kayla?

Votes: 13 11.4%

• Total voters
Not at all, Kayla is doing it smart and has already done a test cut. TJ just bulldozed his way to 125 despite numerous signs from his body telling him he was pushing it too far.
Luckily we get to find out in a couple months

In a recent interview with MMA Junkie, Harrison stated her test cut went well and she is confident she will make weight. She also stated she usuallly walks around at 160-165lbs.

“I wouldn’t have made the move if I didn’t think I was going to be able to do it,” Harrison said. “We did a test cut. Everything was measured, from my heart rate to my blood pressure to my blood sugar. We did a test recovery. We did a test simulated fight. Everything has been dialed in and everything has been tested. I’m really confident in my team and I’m really confident in myself. I’m not saying it’s going to be easy, but the things in life that are worth having are usually not easy (to obtain).”

“There’s a misperception out there that I walk around at like 180 pounds or something,” Harrison told Kevin Iole. “I have walked around most of my MMA career at 165, 160, because I don’t like cutting weight. I don’t believe in cutting weight. I don’t think it sends the right message to kids.“

full article:

"I don't believe in cutting weight. I don't think it sends the right message to kids."

How does she expect to make weight without cutting weight?

I'm guessing that despite what she's saying now, Holly would accept the catchweight unless Kayla walks out to the scale hydrated and smirking like Khamzat, only to weigh in at welterweight.

Yeah, Holly's game is to get either a drained, half-dead Kayla at 135 or have her miss by a couple of pounds so she cons Dana into paying her filthy money so the fight is still on the big UFC 300 card while still having a decent chance of winning. No way in hell she takes the fight if Kayla misses by several pounds and basically fights a weight class up. Conor money maybe, but it's not worth getting just double or triple your usual paycheck to suffer a likely humiliating loss with possible severe damage.

I think she is really commited to it, will she make 135 (136) tho?? Im not sold on it, and fuck yeah Holm is going to take the catchweight fight, its like 30% of Harrison´s purse, that would be a decent extra bonus for her.

Yeah, Holly's game is to get either a drained, half-dead Kayla at 135 or have her miss by a couple of pounds so she cons Dana into paying her filthy money so the fight is still on the big UFC 300 card while still having a decent chance of winning. No way in hell she takes the fight if Kayla misses by several pounds and basically fights a weight class up. Conor money maybe, but it's not worth getting just double or triple your usual paycheck to suffer a likely humiliating loss with possible severe damage.
If that's Holly's thought process then I agree with it. Totally reject an excessive weight miss. Accept a reasonable catchweight if they pony up the dough. Or have a nice fight against a half-skeletonized Kayla.

Kayla will make weight, ain't no way (wo)mans gonna say dis ting without bein sure, you know? Mans in da 6ixdog bear 🐻 quick to pull out dat #Bigotry strap 🔫 and start buckin' 🦌 widda h8 shells when they ain't know nothing outside the McDonald's menu 🍔,,,,ahlie?

Also, T-Ferg ain't nevah gonna give up on dat hash & emoji game, fam. Mans a warrior, #AmericanHero, and inspiration.

#GANAB1 #StopBodyShaming #Atkins 💪🚫👊💥🇺🇸🙌

1. newlysignedathlete

"I don't believe in cutting weight. I don't think it sends the right message to kids."

How does she expect to make weight without cutting weight?

Ay fam, sometimes (wo)mans gotta play the game 🎮 even if it means being part of what's wrong 😔 just to secure their bag 💰 and dip 🏃‍♀️ same way ting go down in the ends, you feel me? It's all aboot the ends justifying the means philosophical ting you get me?? 🤔. Sling dem dime bags 💼 and charlie ❄️ to dem bucktees (fans) den beef 🐄 up your community with the cash 💪🏽💵. Inspire da yute without all the body shaming. Str8 Machiavelli biz, you get me my fams?

🐻💞

#JustMyCents

Last edited:
she's a lifelong world class athlete. if she says she's going to make it i believe it. it's not like she's Nicco Montano.
This is where I'm at.

At least willing to give the benefit of the doubt, she had other opportunities elsewhere, at classes she's used to, so I just don't see the sense in skipping those to sign for something she can't possibly make.

I might end up wrong, time will tell.

Test Test this is a test! This is a test! This is a test!

Well that answers some of the questions I had. She doesn’t specifically say a test cut to 135-136. But every other thing she says makes it sound like an actual cut to BW. And a test fight.

But can she make the weight, and not be compromised on the day of the fight? While dealing with fight week media for UFC 300.

I still have my doubts. But supposedly she’s done it as a test. So we will see.

Don't know why she was competing in the Olympics at such a high weight if she could hit 135. It would be insane for men to compete in wrestling the same way. Sort of exposes the level of competition for women to get away with it.

Don't know why she was competing in the Olympics at such a high weight if she could hit 135. It would be insane for men to compete in wrestling the same way. Sort of exposes the level of competition for women to get away with it.

In Judo you have to make weight day of. Harrison competed 172 with next lower weight being 154 lbs (what Ronda competed at). So she probably walked a little pudgy because she knew she couldn't consistently make 154.

Ronda plumped up to around 160 when she was fighting MMA and had no issues making 135. Kayla did the opposite, slimming down. Since she started with the PFL, she's consistently said she walks 160-165. MMA is the only combat sport where athletes cut 20 lbs with 36 hours to rehydrate.

She claims she didn't cut much weight at 155 and says she was the smaller fighter in the cage. Maybe she's the genius having made >$2 million in 5 years fighting cans, getting 17 pro fights of experience without fucking up her body with crazy weight cuts and is now ready for the big time.

Agree WMMA 135 is dogshit. Voted "Most definitely" but it's 50/50 whether she looks like complete dogshit or not. But either way, it'll probably be enough.

Last edited:
We’ll really see if holm is posturing or not, no way she makes weight.

So she has up to 30 pounds to cut.

That is a LOT.
Extremely Hard for anyone in decent shape to cut 20 percent of body

weight. Holly will have a mountain to climb if Kayla does satisfy the scale.​

Back