Media Raquel Pennington not down with Kayla Harrison getting title shot with only one win, looking to return in September

svmr_db

Silver Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
UFC bantamweight champion Raquel Pennington thinks Kayla Harrison should have to work her way up to the top.

Two-time Olympic gold medalist and PFL champion Harrison (16-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) makes her octagon debut in a bantamweight bout against former champ Holly Holm (15-6 MMA, 8-6 UFC) on April 13 at UFC 300 in Las Vegas. Considering Harrison’s name and accolades, Pennington (16-8 MMA, 13-5 UFC) won’t be surprised if she was declared No. 1 contender with a win over Holm.

Pennington wouldn’t agree but embraces any challenge.

“In my mind, it’s Julianna Peña,” Pennington told LowKick MMA of her first title defense. “That’s what me and my team are preparing for, and it makes sense. It’s tough because the UFC does business how they want to do business. Obviously, you have Kayla Harrison, who just signed to the UFC. They do have a habit of when someone has a big name, they like to fast-track them. So I wouldn’t be surprised after UFC 300 next month if Kayla wins, if a phone call is a lot different after that fight.

“But we’ll see. For me, I think it’s Julianna. Just from having to grind from the bottom up, never being handed anything, there’s a lot of women in this division who have been busting their ass for years upon years, and they’re wanting opportunities. I do not find it fair. I get the business aspect of it. But I do not find it fair when an athlete comes in and just because they have a big name, they get to skip the line. I’m not opposed to fighting anybody, like scared of anybody. I love the challenges out there.”

Pennington’s journey started on Season 18 of “The Ultimate Fighter” in 2013. She worked her way to a title fight against then-champion Amanda Nunes in May 2018 but was stopped by fifth-round TKO. “Rocky” would then go 6-2 before earning a second shot – a vacant title fight vs. Mayra Bueno Silva at UFC 297. She won the fight by unanimous decision to become bantamweight champion.

Raquel must be old school if she'd rather feed fans a fight with Pena than a victorious Harrison.

When there are no exciting fights on the horizon, just go for the one with the most hype and intrigue, in this case, Harrison crossing over from another org.

Yeah, don't really get what she's thinking here.

Its OK for a champion to feel this way. They probably had to work really hard and beat alot of guys to get that belt, and are accustomed to defending against challengers who had to do the same.

Its OK for a champion to feel this way. They probably had to work really hard and beat alot of guys to get that belt, and are accustomed to defending against challengers who had to do the same.
I would agree if we weren't talking about the UFC sir lol

Honestly, could be a bigger bump in payday for her instead of Peña.

I do understand what she says. I wouldn't like someone getting fast tracked to a ts.

Raquel must be old school if she'd rather feed fans a fight with Pena than a victorious Harrison.

When there are no exciting fights on the horizon, just go for the one with the most hype and intrigue, in this case, Harrison crossing over from another org.

Yeah, don't really get what she's thinking here.

Nah, there's a decade old beef between Raquel and Juliana. They need to settle it first (with a belt on the line, no less) before Kayla gets fast tracked. Kayla can beat the shit out of No Bueno Silva or Ketlin Viera in the meantime if she beats Holly. Would be crazy if Holly headkicked Kayla unconscious like she did Ronda.

Nah, there's a decade old beef between Raquel and Juliana. They need to settle it first (with a belt on the line, no less) before Kayla gets fast tracked. Kayla can beat the shit out of No Bueno Silva or Ketlin Viera in the meantime if she beats Holly. Would be crazy if Holly headkicked Kayla unconscious like she did Ronda.

It would be wild if Kayla gets knocked out by 42 year old Holly lol, her stock would plummet bad. :eek:

giphy.gif

Of course pena doesn’t want to fight Kayla. She’d rather continue to fight mediocre contenders than someone who’s actually strong and talented. Would love to see Kayla or Valentina finally retire her.
Pena?

She’s 35 years of age and has a 16-8 record, I don’t mess as n any of that as an insult, she hung with it and won a world title , good for her , but i think she should fight whoever represents the most money at this point

Back