aftermath of Francis fight: a lesson in how corporate PR works

Dionysian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I was very interested to see the reaction to the Francis fight. We've known that ever since Francis left the org and then on Sherdog he magically went from being parroted as the greatest HW ever to OVERNIGHT becoming a scared person that ducked competition with no knees and 80 years old... that shit wasn't organic in the slightest.

Were you ever curious to know exactly how PR campaigns work online? The Francis/Fury aftermath will be a great example. Here is exactly what we'll see over the next month, I will break down for you how this works:

1. Event happens:
this is what made me fascinated. The event itself was Francis being a fucking hero / showing UFC limitations / a resounding success story. He is essentially flawless from a PR view right now. UFC has a mountain to climb, but hey, they get paid to do that so what slander can they possibly come up with to tear down and minimize that hero?

2. Messaging: The corporation thinks of an idea of what the best message will be. That is why you saw ZERO Francis-bashing posts the night of the fight. No narratives were approved yet / the denigration of Francis had not started. Keep that in mind... zero denigration among Sherdog posters last night. There is a reason for that: no PR messages and organic slander messaging is NON-EXISTENT among fans. Obviously in some instances fans plant hater seeds right away, but in this one Francis was unimpeachable, so now the onus is entirely on the corporation.

3. Seed planting: So this is the phase we're in right now. After the first brainstorming sessions, a few potential points are posted online. Keep in mind this is encouraged to be an experimental process. Yes we get the talking point posts, but employees are encouraged to stray outside of them as well. No reason not to... if you post an odd narrative that doesn't catch on, no harm no foul and it disappears into history. But if you post an unorthodox one that catches on, you could strike PR gold. Only limitation to this is if your employees aren't so intelligent, then they aren't as capable of doing this. I don't think UFC's posters here are all that intelligent personally, which is why they rely so much on copy/paste posting. Anyway, Francis-bashing narratives may not be unified now, as there is still fishing to see what could catch on. I do believe I know the main talking point decided as of this morning however:

Francis didn’t look good.

Fury just looked surprisingly shot as fuck.

Now we know why he won’t fight Usyk.

I have been open for multiple years now that @kflo and @markg171 are UFC employees, because 100% of every post they make is a comment that directly benefits the UFC and among their 1000s of posts they never do what normal fans do (just talk about fighting). So from this post I think that this message is the corporate gameplan as of this morning.

4. Weed removing/plant growth: Then the business looks to see what flowers. Maybe the simple "Fury is shit, Francis is shit, boxing is shit" angle works. Maybe something else flowers. This will start a week or two from now. Weed removing is attacking threatening narratives. Again, they have their work cut out for them: Francis is a fucking hero. This thread is certainly a weed to them, so if one of the board's mods are truly compromised, they will delete it outright. If that fails, the usual suspects will come in and use "conspiracy theory" personal attacks. Interesting history lesson: did you know that phrase (conspiracy theory) was invented by the CIA in order to demonize/generalize all narratives that went against government-approved (or planted) narratives? Nowadays corporations learned from the best, and use it in the same fashion.

5. Narrative adoption: this is the end goal. In the first few days your employees plant the narratives and they're the ones doing the bulk of posting (IF there is no organic fan hate... this case being a rare example of that!), but a month later (if it works) the employees are no longer posting and then 80-IQ fans begin to parrot the narratives. That is why no bashing narrative existed for Francis last night: there is ZERO organic bashing. There will be more bashing a month from now, but THEN the bulk of that posting will NOT be employees... it will be predominantly the moron fans that parroted the talking points being planted now.

So that is how it works. Get a gameplan going, post the narrative online (and if employee is smart enough, plant whatever else he wants on the side to see if it sticks), wait for the most idiotic portion of the fanbase (which is ideally also the loudest portion of the fanbase) to suck it up, sit back and let them repeat it for eternity. Within any of that, personally attack those who threaten that narrative control. Eventually hope that if the UFC narrative starts at only 10% fan sentiment, it then slowly inches up to 20%, then a year later it is at more than 50% so the contending narrative is eventually defeated.

And that, is PR 101 with corporate posting online. Francis not only knocking down the #1 HW in boxing, but also knocking down the mechanics of UFC's PR machine... go Francis!

Last edited:
I was very interested to see the reaction to the Francis fight. We've known that ever since Francis left the org and then on Sherdog he magically went from being parroted as the greatest HW ever to OVERNIGHT becoming a scared person that ducked competition with no knees and 80 years old... that shit wasn't organic in the slightest.

Were you ever curious to know exactly how PR campaigns work online? The Francis/Fury aftermath will be a great example. Here is exactly what we'll see over the next month, I will break down for you how this works:

1. Event happens:
this is what made me fascinated. The event itself was Francis being a fucking hero / showing UFC limitations / a resounding success story. He is essentially flawless from a PR view right now. UFC has a mountain to climb, but hey, they get paid to do that so what slander can they possibly come up with to tear down and minimize that hero?

2. Messaging: The corporation thinks of an idea of what the best message will be. That is why you saw ZERO Francis-bashing posts the night of the fight. No narratives were approved yet / the denigration of Francis had not started. Keep that in mind... zero denigration among Sherdog posters last night. There is a reason for that: no PR messages and organic slander messaging is NON-EXISTENT among fans. Obviously in some instances fans plant hater seeds right away, but in this one Francis was unimpeachable, so now the onus is entirely on the corporation.

3. Seed planting: So this is the phase we're in right now. After the first brainstorming sessions, a few potential points are posted online. Keep in mind this is encouraged to be an experimental process. Yes we get the talking point posts, but employees are encouraged to stray outside of them as well. No reason not to... if you post an odd narrative that doesn't catch on, no harm no foul and it disappears into history. But if you post an unorthodox one that catches on, you could strike PR gold. Only limitation to this is if your employees aren't so intelligent, then they aren't as capable of doing this. I don't think UFC's posters here are all that intelligent personally, which is why they rely so much on copy/paste posting. Anyway, Francis-bashing narratives may not be unified now, as there is still fishing to see what could catch on. I do believe I know the main talking point decided as of this morning however:

I have been open for multiple years now that @kflo and @markg171 are UFC employees, because 100% of every post they make is a comment that directly benefits the UFC and among their 1000s of posts they never do what normal fans do (just talk about fighting). So from this post I think that this message is the corporate gameplan as of this morning.

4. Weed removing/plant growth: Then the business looks to see what flowers. Maybe the simple "Fury is shit, Francis is shit, boxing is shit" angle works. Maybe something else flowers. This will start a week or two from now. Weed removing is attacking threatening narratives. Again, they have their work cut out for them: Francis is a fucking hero. This thread is certainly a weed to them, so if one of the board's mods are truly compromised, they will delete it outright. If that fails, the usual suspects will come in and use "conspiracy theory" personal attacks. Interesting history lesson: did you know that phrase (conspiracy theory) was invented by the CIA in order to demonize/generalize all narratives that went against government-approved (or planted) narratives? Nowadays corporations learned from the best, and use it in the same fashion.

5. Narrative adoption: this is the end goal. In the first few days your employees plant the narratives and they're the ones doing the bulk of posting (IF there is no organic fan hate... this case being a rare example of that!), but a month later (if it works) the employees are no longer posting and then 80-IQ fans begin to parrot the narratives. That is why no bashing narrative existed for Francis last night: there is ZERO organic bashing. There will be more bashing a month from now, but THEN the bulk of that posting will NOT be employees... it will be predominantly the moron fans that parroted the talking points being planted now.

So that is how it works. Get a gameplan going, post the narrative online (and if employee is smart enough, plant whatever else he wants on the side to see if it sticks), wait for the most idiotic portion of the fanbase (which is ideally also the loudest portion of the fanbase) to suck it up, sit back and let them repeat it for eternity. Within any of that, personally attack those who threaten that narrative control. Eventually hope that if the UFC narrative starts at only 10% fan sentiment, it then slowly inches up to 20%, then a year later it is at more than 50% so the contending narrative is eventually defeated.

And that, is PR 101 with corporate posting online. Francis not only knocking down the #1 HW in boxing, but also knocking down the mechanics of UFC's PR machine... go Francis!

I have to assume this is accurate after seeing several threads today downplaying what Ngannou did....no one can truly be that dumb.

1. Event happens:

Lol. You’re a lunatic.

I already posted in support of Francis you nut.

1. Event happens:

The ufc has been caught paying employees to post in pro ufc image campaigns before so it does happen. Good thread and that fact about the cia inventing the term conspiracy theory was a fact i knew already...they use it to discredit people that are onto the truth. People are the idiots in the end because they rather focus on the person speaking of the theory instead of researching if there was true conspiracy happening by real conspirators.

Lol. You’re a lunatic.

I already posted in support of Francis you nut.
Oh? Paste what approach you're taking here please / I can't look through your post history. I am interested to know your alternative narrative you posted instead of the generalized one markg posted / will be happy to give you credit if it is an intelligent plant.

1. Event happens:

How do kflo's incessant posts in the war room promoting trans people/LGBT align with this theory?

How do kflo's incessant posts in the war room promoting trans people/LGBT align with this theory?
WME = Disney dude. The Disney stance on that issue is a basic (and very public) staple of culture war shit nowadays.
Mods are schizos allowed to post here?
Were you always the kid running up sucking your thumb pleading to the teacher to stop people saying things you didn't want to hear?

I did online PR for a business years ago. But if you want to try to denigrate a guy personally for sharing the approved PR basic playbook, have at it. Certainly wouldn't want to address any of the actual content of my post now would we...

I'm just joking dude. Dont take it too seriously

He's right tho
No one is going to change the narrative. Despite all the "seeding". Ngannou defied all expectations and has lots of people arguing he won. I don't think he won the decision, but still the fact there is even a debate is a permanent L for Fury. Like you can't take away how close it was against the #1 boxer, and Fury was genuinely afraid of clinch or pocket with Ngannou.

Ngannou should try and be a modern George Foreman and leave mma altogether rn. No damage control needed where Ngannou should probably spend the rest of his time collecting boxing paychecks. I don't see where he's going to do anything but squash cans in mma at HW outside of UFC because there's no good opponents. And boxing isn't really a direct competitor with UFC.

1. Event happens:

You’re literally quoting me across different threads now.

Get a life man.

No one is going to change the narrative. Despite all the "seeding". Ngannou defied all expectations and has lots of people arguing he won. I don't think he won the decision, but still the fact there is even a debate is a permanent L for Fury. Like you can't take away how close it was against the #1 boxer, and Fury was genuinely afraid of clinch or pocket with Ngannou.

Ngannou should try and be a modern George Foreman and leave mma altogether rn. No damage control needed where Ngannou should probably spend the rest of his time collecting boxing paychecks. I don't see where he's going to do anything but squash cans in mma at HW outside of UFC because there's no good opponents. And boxing isn't really a direct competitor with UFC.
I don't think TKO Holdings particularly cares what is a W or L for Fury as an individual.

You missed my point though, the fact that Francis is untouchable in terms of PR is what makes this interesting. What can the UFC possibly say about the guy that left as UFC HW champion who arguably beat the boxing HW champion in boxing but who has positioned himself as a foil to their business model? It is precisely because Francis is perfect from a PR standpoint that we can isolate the normal "fan hate" (it didn't exist last night) and observe just the corporate angle at work... since we know the majority of slander will be entirely corporate in nature at this early stage.

I do agree though, if I was his manager I'd tell Francis to stick to boxing and make bank.
You’re literally quoting me across different threads now.

Get a life man.
Stick to your bullet points man, your post quality outside of them ain't nothing to write home about.

Back