How does it feel NOT having to worry about bills and living check to check

Nice thing about not living check to check is leverage at work.
Being able to live the same exact lifestyle for years without any income is great leverage when it comes to getting what i want at work.

That is nice. When we were getting paid by check I often didn't pick up the checks for a few weeks. They knew I didn't need the money.

i honestly cringed at all the poor people in the heavyweights bitching that mcgregor/mayweather was too expensive.

Trust me TS, being a Freegan is the way to go!

Anyone here go from being broke living check to check to earning s decent or great income what was the feeling not having to worry about financial things? Did you feel a sigh of relief?
I did it for a while. Went to technical school for two years and made shit money working on cars/selling service at shops. Had my car rep'od, credit cards went to collections, etc. My problem was that I partied too much up until I was 23 and pissed away my money on drugs, booze and other various stupid shit.

Went back to school at 24.. took a full load of classes and worked about 35 hours a week for five more years. So I basically did it until the age of 30. For a while I didn't even have a bank account and cashed my checks at a currency exchange.

Then after finishing my bachelors I got a real job in 2010 and have been relieved quite a bit to not have to live paycheck to paycheck and actually have good credit again. Actually have a real savings account too now.

Maybe i need to move out of california, im broke as a joke here the cost of living is too high

Yeah you should think about it. Here in Allentown, PA you can get a nice home for around 100-125K. If you put down at least 20K it would be much cheaper than renting out also. There are also good jobs here.

i lived it for a while in the mid 2000s. it was glorious. Expendable cash and just fun. Lots of loving life because i didn't have the stresses of bills.

however, chasing a "dream" really doesn't pay off IMHO... i can think of at least 2 paths in my life where i should have swerved in the opposite direction and i would have ended up making more and having to pay less haha

This is a pretty good argument against unions. All this laziness isn't free, someone is paying for it be it customers, taxpayers or society as a whole.
Unions are awful, man. The laziest pieces of shit I've ever known we're union workers. We can definitely agree on this, @Rjay

Feels good but like most people my spending increased to where I worry about it again, but it's because I bought a house which will (hopefully) appreciate. My mortgage payment is bigger than my rent was tho, so I don't have that stress free attitude towards money that I had a few months ago

It feels great. I was brought up not having much and not spending much. I found a balance where my bills and outgoings are so low that once they're met I’m free to choose how many hours I want to work. Currently I can live comfortably for 1month off of 1 weeks wages. Everything else is a bonus, a surplus to be saved, invested or spent.

The luxury of this is that without the stress or pressure to meet ends meet I could relax and enjoy things a little more, which led to me producing work of a higher quality. And because on top of this my boss knows I don't feel obligated to show up, they go out of their way not to dump unnecessary stress or play ego filled workplace power games with me. It's freedom that makes life that little bit easier, simpler and more straightforward.

At university I lived at home and worked at a bottleshop and tutored a bit. Made a few hundred bucks a week and it was all play money, good times, raving, drinking and lots of fun. Now I earn a good income, have a decent house in a good suburb and money to pay for stuff but it's not the same that's for sure. But I'm well aware I'm luckier than a lot of poor bastards out there who do hard work and earn fuck all.

I used to live paycheck to paycheck like 10 years ago. I make a good living now, but I'm not rich. I never worry about buying things or paying bills, but it still bothers me to have to do either. I don't like spending money. Expense seem to come in waves also. Whether it's property tax, house insurance, house repairs etc. Over the past 3 months I've probably had close to 15k in expenses above and beyond my usual monthly costs. It pisses me off that I have to pay it, but I can comfortably afford it.

That said, I could lose my job tomorrow and be back to square one. I never take for granted what I have and the idea of losing it all is always in the back of my mind.

Man, in south central PA, you can find something pretty decent for that price. It won't be no Beverly Hills, but places like Harrisburg and York ain't too bad.

I think we both have VERY different meanings of "pretty decent".

I'd be worse off if I were a natural spender, but I'm tight with money, whatever I buy is with the intent to use it until it's dead.
I'm proud of making laptops last years longer than they were supposed to for example, still using the Polk speakers I bought in college

Just bought a 3bd 2 bath for 90k on a 100k income. I could've bought much more house with my income but I love the idea of not having financial stress in my life and look forward to being completely debt free very soon.

As long as you don't accumulate a lot of stuff that you have to take care of it's great.

Right now I am renting 2 rooms and live in the other. If I get a new house I would be renting the new home I buy.
I'm thinking about getting another rental and doing it by the room. I could squeeze out about an extra $500 as opposed to just renting it to a family.

Unions are awful, man. The laziest pieces of shit I've ever known we're union workers. We can definitely agree on this, @Rjay

The laziest pieces of shit I've met were business owners and children of business owners who became the business owners. Unions wouldn't be needed if people who owned businesses treated their employees well instead of treating them like slaves. Without unions, workers would still be forced to work long hours for low pay with no benefits 7 days a week.

I was lucky enough to work for a company owned by a man who treated his employees well and paid them fairly. He ran the company himself with 3 office staff. When he died. his children just wanted to cash out and sold it to a company run by a 3rd generation owner who was hands off and had multiple levels of management in place who did nothing but suck up money.

The new owners had 10 people in the office who had no connection to producing the products that made the money.

I was working in the US, just better than living paycheck to paycheck on a post-doctoral salary at a famous medical school. Moved to Japan with my wife and got screwed by economic meltdown, and ended up unemployed/unemployable within 2 years.

Faced the music and left Japan to find an entry level job in Singapore, on $49k/year. Within 7 years, I dominated every department position I ended upp in and am now on $150k/year and put down money on a $1.2m condo (Singapore friggin' expensive)...

Going to crack one off over my achievements now...

Back