How does it feel NOT having to worry about bills and living check to check

Once you make it on your own (excluding gumbint workers) you realize how terrible the Democratic Party is for the working class.

After owning my own business and living paycheck to paycheck in a 500k house that I have never missed a payment on, I sold my business and went back to corporate world. I make 200k+ and just refinanced the house which will be paid off in 8-9 years. I have 12 months of emergency money in the bank, and we live nicely. It's awesome BUT......the new job is more stressful. Trade off. I dream of a simpler life.

It's nice, but it doesn't really change much. The consequence of running out of money in your checking account is to take money out of a savings account, rather than having the lights shut off or coming home to new locks on the door from the landlord. So, that stress is gone, but that stress just caused me to budget very strictly. I used to budget out of necessity, now I budget towards long term goals, my lifestyle is essentially the same.

You will find something else to worry about.

My GFs dad went from a mediocre job to being worth 75 mill.
All because he drew a cartoon

I still live month to month, sort of, because I have debt to pay off. But it's definitely nice being solvent. And by the end of the year, my debt will be paid off and I can save. I have always lived well within my means though. My wife is a different story. Before she and I were dating, I always had at least $3k in savings just for whatever. And I was always able to put a little aside every month. It was great.
Of course, back then I was renting a two bedroom apartment with a sloppy ass roommate whose rent I had to front every month, sleeping on nothing but a futon mattress.

Would an 85k RV be straight pimpin' or just some middle of the line Winnebago?

About the only time I live paycheck to paycheck was before I graduated from High School. It's not that I made a lot of money but I've never had trouble living within my means. I bought a house at 25, paid it off by the time I was 35 and haven't had a loan since. Every vehicle I bought I paid cash for. I've known many who made the same amount of money I did who were always broke.

Lately I see people covered in tattoos who are always broke. I asked one guy what he spent his money on. He said he spends $175/week on tattoos. I asked if he meant $175/month but he said no he has a one hour appointment every week. I told him he was insane. He makes $20/hour so about $800/week. Child support takes 17% of that [$136]and Federal State and Social Security about 30% [$240]. He pays $20/week for health insurance for him and his son. Rent is $190/week. With the $175/week tattoo he has $761 of his $800 gone before he buys food. He lives with his girlfriend who is a stylist and takes home an average of $350/week so she pays $100/week of the rent.

I don't make a lot of money but I still manage to have an emergency fund and 3 months living expenses socked away. Just takes some self control and planning

I went from making 35K and living in my parents' basement (paying rent, of course) to living a comfy lil life with my hubby. I was working as a receptionist while attending grad school and pretty much living paycheck to paycheck less than five years ago.

Since then I've finished grad school (no student loans) and got a good teaching job and hubby has been promoted a few times at his job. We are currently in a one bedroom apartment in The Bronx but in the process of building our dream home. We have no outstanding debts, own 2 cars out right and lease a 3rd for fun. We have enough money to comfortably enjoy life, go out when we want, eat out when we want, vacation etc.

Building a house is no joke and we will be pretty tapped out once it's done (no more eating out and vacays in the beginning) but at least we won't be wasting money on rent ever again. That is an amazing feeling.

Kudos to all you homeowners. I don't care how much your house costs/is worth. That's the American Dream right there.

LOL at those scoffing at a $85K home.

How about not living beyond your means, even if that means having to move to more affordable location.

Buy hey, go ahead and live where rent is expensive and/or shitty 2 bedroom homes are going for $400K+.

I bought a small duplex back in 99', knowing I could rent the other side and help pay for over half the mortgage.

It was kind of crappy. I had to deal with renters. It was extremely modest. Whatever. I knew it wasn't permanent and it helped with the monthly budget.

Now I live a very nice home, even has a pool (which is awesome since I'm from Denver and that's unheard of there). I was able to put enough down to afford a 15 year loan instead of 30. This was in 2005, so I'm a few years away from paying it off.

It's fucking crazy to me that people are paying $500k+ for houses back home in Denver. What are these people doing? Who are these dipshits? I know incomes haven't increased at the same rate. I have friends there who have to seriously budget each month and can't afford to do fun stuff like vacations or eating out because of their $3,000 or so mortage+insurance payments.

Insane.

Yeah these people dont get it. This home I bought is a nice townhouse in Allentown, PA which should have been sold for 100K but I was able to purchase for a lower price due to the sellers being old and needing to move in with their family to be taken care of. I paid 20% down, I'm renting 2 rooms which almost pays the mortgage and bills. So basically what I make in my job I can save up and spend on other things like food and insurance.

Right now I am also thinking of buying another home for 100K but I might later on near years end or next year.

Would an 85k RV be straight pimpin' or just some middle of the line Winnebago?

That would be a Minnie Winnie or a Spirit.
https://winnebagoind.com/products/class-c/2018/spirit/overview
wgohippoproject%3Aprodthumb

It was rough when I was a teen providing for my family, but I learned a trade, joined a union, paid off my mortgage and now I can buy whatever the fuck I want. I'm already vetted in for the pension, so I call in sick every other week. Nobody gives a shit. I come in to work any time I want, leave early if I want. Do overtime if I want. Sleep at work if I want.
Same
<JonesDXSuckIt>

Back