Will we ever see a event comparable with Man Landing on the Moon on our Lifetime

The internet happened in our lifetime. We don't think of it as a milestone because it's adoption took many years and it crept up on everyone, but I think it's just as important.

It's impressive,but not close to landing on another rock.
As a milestone, escaping our rock is comparable to visiting another, yes. Both are mind-bogglingly huge, and one is built on the other.

"Once you're in orbit, you're halfway to anywhere." A little exaggerated, but it makes the point nicely.

Isn't that stuff flying really fast? Seems like a dangerous task.
Depends entirely on your vector. If you're in orbit, you're by neccesity flying really fast yourself. It's not essentially different from a RV with other objects in orbit, for example the space station. The amount of it is a problem, though.

yes, cure for some cancers, advanced alternative energy, and game changing AI

Satan will show himself to the entire world and be a legit top bloke, he'll bring video and pics showing that hell is actually an awesome place with sexy horny nymphos everywhere ready to bang 24/7. heaven will be a laughing stock

Maybe curing cancer

That probably isn't a single event though... I can think of TONS of stuff that has evolved over time that is WAY more important than the moon landing... but as far as a single epic event, that is pretty hard to beat.

Maybe not in space travel, but certainly in other fields, like medicine. I think we're gonna have some major breakthroughs in the next generation or so.

The thing about cancer is you can't just cure it because there are countless different causes for it, stemming from various failures in cell growth control. The exciting thing is that we are starting to learn how to pinpoint the causes and craft specific treatments. So much better than just cutting away cancerous tissue, blasting the patient with chemo, and praying for the best. This type of treatment is ridiculously expensive right now, but the cost will come down.

finding life with-in this solar system, other than on Earth.

The passing of laws that effectively end the blight that is True Forced Loneliness.

Isn't that stuff flying really fast? Seems like a dangerous task.

How fast are orbital debris traveling?

In low Earth orbit (below 1,250 miles, or 2,000 km), orbital debris circle the Earth at speeds of between 4 and 5 miles per second (7 to 8 km/s). However, the average impact speed of orbital debris with another space object will be approximately 6 miles per second (10 km/s). Consequently, collisions with even a small piece of debris will involve considerable energy.

Source

So roughly 18K miles per hour.

I think we'll see some incredibly impressive feats:

Cloning of a mammoth and other extinct animals. We should see the reintroduction of the Tasmanian Tiger.

Landing on Mars, and likely the establishment of a space colony.

Fully functional robots, that will not appear as robots. I really think by 2040 or 2050 we'll have sexbots.

High speed travel like Elon Musk's idea for the Hyperloop.

Possibly an underwater city.

I think landing the rover on MARS and having it stay alive for so long is pretty big. Especially with all the technology it took with it and how all those sensitive instruments survived.

All these guys that are considered loons and crackpots actually being right and Alien life being revealed would be cool.

Yes we will.

I'm thinking cybernetic implants in your brain. Korea cloning a perfect human. Being able to pick out everything for your unborn child. It will get crazy soon enough.

There are cures, they just don't allow them. Doesn't turn quite the profit. But I agree there will be a "cure" soon. Same with HIV. Hopefully a few other things....

What is this opinion based on?

Thinly veiled attempt to shit on North Korea landing a man on the sun IMO

lol's were had , thanks

Would love to see a manned Mars landing in my lifetime

Finding microbial life living at thermal vents at the bottom of oceans on Europa.

Back