The Passion of the Chito: Is he finished at the top level?

Mr. Jamie Cee

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
First of all, I like Chito. He has made a lot of sacrifices to the JBG over the years and I largely enjoy his fights. I also think he comes across as a good person and someone who genuinely loves fighting.

That being said, O’Malley put a slick beat down on him last night. So much so, that Chito may in fact now resemble Our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ:

IMG_3006.jpeg

IMG_3007.jpeg

Was it a beat down of biblical proportions, or will Chito rise again?

Passion-of-the-chito - thread title is enough for contender thread of the year <Lmaoo>

Since coming to the UFC he has always been hot and cold, just one of those fighters. Not sure where he goes from here, perhaps a fight with CCC? He is only 31 but whatever comes next is his last possible run at the title, I feel he has the skills...but he just sometimes chooses to sit back and fuck around and it costs him the fight everytime and last night Omalley made him pay for it far more than he has in the past. I hope he gets back to contention but he needs three solid W's to back in there again for the title.

This guy was a huge star, for 20 hours.

He was never at the top level to begin with.

I said this about Chito a year ago, after the Sandhagen loss. It's still valid today.

I like a lot of what Chito does, but he has a problem: he has rather slow hands for the weight class and because of this, is wary of attempting counters.

It's actually very smart of him to acknowledge this weakness and avoid rolling the dice in exchanges. Problem is, an opponent with the right skillset can use this to control/shut down his offense. Sandhagen and his team had obviously dialed in on this tendency. Later in the fight, I heard Cory's cornerman bring it up, calling on him to 'overload' Chito with activity.

I knew that Sandhagen would outpoint Vera with ease because he has the perfect skillset to do so: he is mobile, rangy, quick, uses a good variety of attacks and is constantly feinting. He also did a great job shutting down the one technique that Vera relies on even as he is reluctant to exchange: his low kick. Sandhagen mostly neutralised it by continuously switching stances and moving in, out, laterally.

As I said, I like Vera as a fighter and was happy to see him climb the ranks. However, I feel that this is the end of the line for him, as far as title aspirations. There are too many ways to beat him and the top guys all have what it takes to do it. As much as I hate O'Malley, he should be the favorite in the rematch as well, and that will probably be the go-to fight for Dana once O'Malley loses and the UFC is looking to rehabilitate his status as a contender.

Back