The MVP fight literally did nothing for Ian Garry

It was a valuable experience for him since he got his ass handed to him on the stand-up. Time to go back on the drawing board and stop thinking that you're the fastest guy around.
I watched his post fight presser and he describes his performance as a masterful one in which he was better and faster than MVP everywhere. Spoiler: he wasn’t. Maybe he’s just putting on an act, but if he really believes that, then I’m not sure what he’s learned from this. The fight was absolute shite. The performance doesn’t do him any favours but the decision obviously does. I wouldn’t recommend watching this or reading the significant strike numbers if you haven’t seen it. Just watch the highlights of Ian getting tagged.

Last edited:
He demonstrated a champion trait; fighting someone that is below him, or outright undeserving. IG himself acknowledges that he gains nothing from this fight, but he knows that he gained a lot from a victory over MVP, however pedestrian it was.

I watched his post fight presser and he describes his performance as a masterful one in which he was better and faster than MVP everywhere. Spoiler: he wasn’t. Maybe he’s just putting on an act, but if he really believes that, then I’m not sure what he’s learned from this. The fight was absolute shite. The performance doesn’t do him any favours but the decision obviously does. I wouldn’t recommend watching this or reading the significant strike numbers if you haven’t seen it. Just watch the highlights of Ian getting tagged.
If that isn't just him lashing out and acting defensive, and he actually thinks that, then I'm very worried about his future prospects. Guys who think like that usually end up as gatekeepers who regularly drop close decisions because they don't have a realistic outlook on how they're doing in a fight.

I feel that his last two matches show that he is talented but nothing truly special.

Anyone in the top 5 should crush him easily.

The fight was so backwards and worthless for Garry that not only did he not move up for winning, MVP moved up a spot despite losing

and at least MvP has name value.
People say this and not only do I think that's really not true, but it's also a concept that has been proven time and time again to do little to nothing for the person beating them, especially with whatever minimal level of popularity MVP had

I'm seeing a LOT of "Well if Garry won this way .." in this thread, and I gotta say, I find that to be rather disingenuous. I always relate that energy to that guy in beer pong who goes "Aw, that would have went in if there was a cup there." Yeah, no shit. And if my mom had wheels, she'd be a bike. Winning in an impressive way helps people, what a fucking revelation. Barboza got famous for wheel kicking fucking Terry Etim.

Don't get me wrong, we can talk all day about how badly Garry performed, it was incredibly underwhelming. The point of this thread is how good of a win over MVP is, period. And it very clearly wasn't

Last edited:
Zero killer instinct will be his downfall - no one will fear him at all after that fight.
He seems to be entering a "fight not to lose" stage of his career. Which is strange because he dosen't really have anything to lose yet outside of an undefeated record. Which who cares it's just an 0 on a record, no reason to change a fight style. He hasn't even captured a title or anything that greatly increases your pay and exposure to try and protect. Generally guys don't get this way until they've become champion, and start defending.

Well if he’s accepting a fight it should only be for one of the following 2 reasons. Either he is taking on a contender that can move him up in the rankings, or he wants another showcase fight before taking on the top dogs.

If Page is not a contender, then he should basically be a showcase fight for you. Ian fighting him to a stalemate is not a good look, at some point he’s gotta take chances and his competition will only get more and more dangerous from now on. He missed a good opportunity to make a statement imo.
But that's sort of the point here, isn't it. Remember that when he MVP fight was first pitched, Garry said it made no sense and got universally shit on for it. So he gets pressured into taking it and you're shifting the blame to him for doing so. The point is, it shouldn't have been put together, which you seem to agree with, yeah?

But that's sort of the point here, isn't it. Remember that when he MVP fight was first pitched, Garry said it made no sense and got universally shit on for it. So he gets pressured into taking it and you're shifting the blame to him for doing so. The point is, it shouldn't have been put together, which you seem to agree with, yeah?
Yes, I agree. It probably shouldn’t have been put together, my point is once it was put together it was meant to be a showcase fight against a washed up guy he can style on, assuming he’s this new big thing that he claims to be.

Literally showed his grappling wasn't as shitty as MVP's

He should be up there for a top 5 matchup and a TS next.
He'll probably have to fight more than that. The UFC matchmaking is so fucking shitty at WW, we've got 4 people on double digit unbeaten streaks with UFC wins in those streaks being 6, 7, 8, and 9, and one of them isn't even in the top 5. But no, we needed to create this jam by fitting Colby's old losing ass in there who is  still taking a top spot for some reason, despite his performance against Leon being even more embarrassing than Garry's against MVP

Yes, I agree. It probably shouldn’t have been put together, my point is once it was put together it was meant to be a showcase fight against a washed up guy he can style on, assuming he’s this new big thing that he claims to be.
I shit on MVP a bunch, but think "washed" is a bit strong. He's certainly one dimensional, but still in the dimension that Garry mostly lives. Sure, Garry could outgrapple him easy, but just cuz your opponent is weak somewhere doesn't mean you should ever make a showcase out of one of your own weaknesses

False. Factually false
Ian Garry is 15-0 with 8 wins in the UFC, coming off a win over #14 MVP.

What exactly can he demand or has he earned now that he couldn't when he was 14-0 with 7 wins in the UFC, coming off a win over #8 Neal?

I pointed out before the fight that the matchup did nothing for Ian Garry and have since been proven correct. He did not move up in the rankings. He is not any more popular now. It was a pointless fight that did nothing for him.

Meanwhile Colby ducked Ian Garry and suffered no repercussions. He's still rank squatting at number 4 and looking for an easy fight.
Even Ian Garry knows that the MVP fight does nothing for him and he has mentioned it in interviews prior to the fight. This is not controversial in anyway, stop tripping.

Colby is not obligated to fight Ian just because Ian called him out. Colby believes he has bigger fish to fry than Ian and you can't fault him for looking for better fights to advance his career (as is Ian when he called out Colby)

Even Ian Garry knows that the MVP fight does nothing for him and he has mentioned it in interviews prior to the fight. This is not controversial in anyway, stop tripping.
And yet people are here arguing it did. And people tore him apart for saying the fight did nothing.

Colby is not obligated to fight Ian just because Ian called him out.
But he should be obligated to defend his ranking

Colby believes he has bigger fish to fry than Ian and you can't fault him for looking for better fights to advance his career (as is Ian when he called out Colby)
People are free to believe whatever they want, but we are free to judge that based on how reasonable it is. I want a golden Maserati with a heated padded toilet seat behind the wheel that drops off my shit as i drive but you can absolutely fault me for thinking I should get it for free.

There's a shitload more substance to the argument that Garry should be fighting Colby than there is that Colby should be anywhere near a title eliminator, and way more than the argument that MVP should have fought Ian. Frankly, Colby should count himself lucky to get Ian, considering how close that keeps him to the top.

But you're right that the majority fault should fall on UFC for actually rewarding Colby and validating his sitting out

Last edited:
I pointed out before the fight that the matchup did nothing for Ian Garry and have since been proven correct. He did not move up in the rankings. He is not any more popular now. It was a pointless fight that did nothing for him.

Meanwhile Colby ducked Ian Garry and suffered no repercussions. He's still rank squatting at number 4 and looking for an easy fight.
It made him look worse in my opinion. He looked slow compared to a 37 year old, look scared and lost in the standup, Couldn’t submit a white belt, and lost in the eyes of many; including his boss.

This fight wasn’t about Garry ….ufc wanted MVP to win and fights Edwards

Back