The case for a #1 contender fight

People trying to sneak Garry in with Shavkat and JDM like they're all equal is lame AF.

Garry has the least convincing argument of the three. Looked worse against lower level competition. Is a striker that lnps other strikers. Yeah get the fuck outta here lmao. If we're ranking these three it's:

Shavkat

JDM

Garry.

People trying to sneak Garry in with Shavkat and JDM like they're all equal is lame AF.

Garry has the least convincing argument of the three. Looked worse against lower level competition. Is a striker that lnps other strikers. Yeah get the fuck outta here lmao. If we're ranking these three it's:

Shavkat

JDM

Garry.
I get Shavkat, even though Garry is 8-0 in the UFC and Shavkat is 6-0 at least he has the finishes.

JDM though? JDM went to a split decision a year ago with #60 ranked Bassil Hafez who sports a
9-4 record. How the hell you gonna get a title shot when you can't even decisively beat the #60 guy?

I get Shavkat, even though Garry is 8-0 in the UFC and Shavkat is 6-0 at least he has the finishes.

JDM though? JDM went to a split decision a year ago with #60 ranked Bassil Hafez who sports a
9-4 record. How the hell you gonna get a title shot when you can't even decisively beat the #60 guy?
I'm willing to cut a young guy slack for looking bad in a short notice fight. Finishing Burns is the best win between the three of them.

But even with that I think Shavkat being undefeated with all finishes is ahead of him. JDM is really the only other guy with an argument. The Garry shit is ridiculous he's done literally nothing.

I'm willing to cut a young guy slack for looking bad in a short notice fight. Finishing Burns is the best win between the three of them.

But even with that I think Shavkat being undefeated with all finishes is ahead of him. JDM is really the only other guy with an argument. The Garry shit is ridiculous he's done literally nothing.
Garry is undefeated just like Shavkat is.

What if I told you two of three Shavkat and Garry's best wins are the same two guys in Geoff Neal and Neil Magny. Then even the third best win is comparable. Shavkat has WB and Garry has MVP. They are super comparable except Shavkat has the finishes. Garry has more UFC wins.

Garry is undefeated just like Shavkat is.

What if I told you two of three Shavkat and Garry's best wins are the same two guys in Geoff Neal and Neil Magny. Then even the third best win is comparable. Shavkat has WB and Garry has MVP. They are super comparable except Shavkat has the finishes. Garry has more UFC wins.
Everyone knows all that. How you win matters too. Strangling Neal after exchanging with him is better than playing patty cake for 15 mins. Choking out mediocre ass Magny is better than decisioning him, etc.

So yeah, the finishes should have him ahead.

Everyone knows all that. How you win matters too. Strangling Neal after exchanging with him is better than playing patty cake for 15 mins. Choking out mediocre ass Magny is better than decisioning him, etc.

So yeah, the finishes should have him ahead.
The finishes are better. I'm just struggling to see how the finishes alone catapult Shavkat super far ahead of Garry and also includes JDM being ahead of Garry.

Burns isn't that of a spectacular win. He's 38 and 3-4 in his last 7. He was great at one time but even his 3 wins in that stretch are over Masvidal, Magny, and WB.

The finishes are better. I'm just struggling to see how the finishes alone catapult Shavkat super far ahead of Garry and also includes JDM being ahead of Garry.

Burns isn't that of a spectacular win. He's 38 and 3-4 in his last 7. He was great at one time but even his 3 wins in that stretch are over Masvidal, Magny, and WB.
Because Garry has gotten the softballs they give young up and comers as an opportunity to make a statement, and eked out the safest and most boring decision wins. Not taking any risks or trying to show off that he's actually elite SOMEWHERE. Shavkat and JDM to a lesser extent at least tried to capitalize on those opportunities.

Burns is on a slide, but finishing him is still better than anything Garry has done. And if we're going by recency it's definitely better than looking like shit vs freaking mvp.

Because Garry has gotten the softballs they give young up and comers as an opportunity to make a statement, and eked out the safest and most boring decision wins. Not taking any risks or trying to show off that he's actually elite SOMEWHERE. Shavkat and JDM to a lesser extent at least tried to capitalize on those opportunities.

Burns is on a slide, but finishing him is still better than anything Garry has done. And if we're going by recency it's definitely better than looking like shit vs freaking mvp.
Fair enough. I think Ian should get a little bonus credit for being active and having 5 fights in the last 18 months. Shavkat beat WB and stopped taking fights.

How do you see the Usman situation? He has 5 WW defenses, is 0-2 against Leon, and lost a super short notice fight with Hamas at 185. Do you think he needs one win or two?

Fair enough. I think Ian should get a little bonus credit for being active and having 5 fights in the last 18 months. Shavkat beat WB and stopped taking fights.

How do you see the Usman situation? He has 5 WW defenses, is 0-2 against Leon, and lost a super short notice fight with Hamas at 185. Do you think he needs one win or two?
I don't like Garry so I'm definitely not giving any extra credit anywhere, but I also think I'm being fair. I honestly don't blame Shavkat for sitting out because I don't think there's a big enough name to merit additional risk vs what he's already done, and I think he sees that as well.

as far as Usman goes he is not close to a shot, it's just lunacy. at LEAST 2 wins. I don't care how good he used to be, he hasn't won a fight in forever now and needs to prove he's still that guy.

Usman only needs one win and he’s there

Shavkat prob should have fought JDM for #1 but that would eliminate contenders

I’m down for Shakat next, followed by JDM, followed by Usman with a win

Usman only needs one win and he’s there

Shavkat prob should have fought JDM for #1 but that would eliminate contenders

I’m down for Shakat next, followed by JDM, followed by Usman with a win
We agree on the important parts lol. I'd rather see usman get 2 but I like this order of challengers, unless something crazy happens.

I don't like Garry so I'm definitely not giving any extra credit anywhere, but I also think I'm being fair. I honestly don't blame Shavkat for sitting out because I don't think there's a big enough name to merit additional risk vs what he's already done, and I think he sees that as well.

as far as Usman goes he is not close to a shot, it's just lunacy. at LEAST 2 wins. I don't care how good he used to be, he hasn't won a fight in forever now and needs to prove he's still that guy.
Normally I would agree but the way UFC hands out undeserved shots these days I don't think it's that far out there. Kamaru did the UFC a huge favor by taking that Cumshot fight plus his next fight would likely be against either Garry or JDM. Beating one of them would be a great thing for him.

No no, see when Garry bores to death with Magny, how you finished the fight doesn't matter, but when JDM goes to a decision, it does matter. See, things matter or don't matter depending on when I want them to. It's very simple.

Normally I would agree but the way UFC hands out undeserved shots these days I don't think it's that far out there. Kamaru did the UFC a huge favor by taking that Cumshot fight plus his next fight would likely be against either Garry or JDM. Beating one of them would be a great thing for him.
I'm just old. In the modern era it's not that crazy but I like to see guys on good streaks getting a shot. It used to take a LOT to get there unless there were no valid contenders or you were a draw of course.

No no, see when Garry bores to death with Magny, how you finished the fight doesn't matter, but when JDM goes to a decision, it does matter. See, things matter or don't matter depending on when I want them to. It's very simple.
It doesn't help that I've never seen Magny as an elite talent. Beating the shell of the corpse of the ghost of Magny via decision means nothing to me, straight up. Burns showed what it should look like when someone elite or near it fights a Magny level fighter.

When did Garry go to a decision with #60 in a split? You're missing the relevant part. How retarded are you, btw?

It doesn't help that I've never seen Magny as an elite talent. Beating the shell of the corpse of the ghost of Magny via decision means nothing to me, straight up. Burns showed what it should look like when someone elite or near it fights a Magny level fighter.
Same with me and MVP. I don't know why anyone is sold on him being a top fighter when his highlights are all pretty low level. How someone can have the confidence to say he's on a similar level to the consistently proven Wonderboy is incredible to me.

When did Garry go to a decision with #60 in a split? You're missing the relevant part. How retarded are you, btw?
You think the split matters when it was a bad score. You think a win is a negative to the point of career invalidation. You think MVP is as good and as worth as Wonderboy. Your points are hypocritical.

You don't get to talk to me about whose brain works.

Usman had a very good performance against khamzat that he should have won (According to me and many others)
How did you came up with that? He did good, but as a 3 round fight that was clearly Chimaev, could had gone the other way with 2 more rounds? Probably, but it wasnt and he lost a clear decision that night, good fight, still lost.

You think the split matters when it was a bad score. You think a win is a negative. You think MVP is as good as Wonderboy. Your points are hypocritical.

You don't get to talk to me about whose brain works.
MVP and WB share a ranking in the same ballpark. Hafez isn't anywhere near the conversation. I could have brought up JDM's split to Holland but I didn't, because Holland is at least in the same ballpark. That would be disingenous. There are levels and JDM is on the bottom tier.

Back