Opinion - Aspinall vs Poatan in March

andgonsil

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
This theory is based on the case of Ankalaev defeating Rakic

Do you notice that Aspinall stopped to talk about Jones? He has already resigned himself to the fact that Jon is going to retire

What's left for Tom? Gane/Volkov. I don't believe a rematch with Volkov is worth it for him. Gane will ask for time to prepare for a fight with Aspinall

March is the perfect time for an HW title fight. Poatan will be available, as will Tom. They both expressed a desire to face each other. And Alex hinted that negotiations are underway behind the scenes

Do you notice that Aspinall stopped to talk about Jones? He has already resigned himself to the fact that Jon is going to retire

What's left for Tom? Gane/Volkov. I don't believe a rematch with Volkov is worth it for him. Gane will ask for time to prepare for a fight with Aspinall

March is the perfect time for an HW title fight. Poatan will be available, as will Tom. They both expressed a desire to face each other. And Alex hinted that negotiations are underway behind the scenes

Unless Tom is got word that Jon will fight him after he fights and beats Stipe. And he's ready to get in the cage in NYC after the fight.

I can honestly see Jonnyboy sticking around for one more fight vs Poatan. I think he knows Alex is pretty much the main character of the UFC right now and that could the final last fight that could give him some extra spicy PPV numbers. Poatan being popular, first three weight division champ possibility and all. Also it's likely a very easy fight for him of course.

I just looked at an old magazine for the top heavyweights in 2008, its crazy to see better talent back then than present day!

its very likely jones retires after beating stipe

that would promote aspinall to undisputed and they could setup a title shot for alex.

not sure its next but def think it happens next year. Just a question of do they do it in spring next and start Toms HW title run off with a bang or do they do Tom vs Volkov/Gane and Alex vs Ank/Rakic and if they both win then do it? Risking one of them losing that way but do think those fights should happen first and clear things up and then theres really nobody or nothing stopping that fight from happening and also making most sense for both guys. Right now if Ank smokes Rakic and then doesnt get Alex next pretty fucked up.

its very likely jones retires after beating stipe

that would promote aspinall to undisputed and they could setup a title shot for alex.
Can you imagine that? Jones would spend the rest of his life arguing that Tom isn't the best HW of all-time because he didn't beat the champ.

Said this numerous times, there are variables though. Some already mentioned. Other fights and one of them loses, Jon fighting Alex and ducking Tom. Jon fighting Tom and not retiring.

giphy.gif

If Rakic wins, Poatan will also move up to HW to try to become a 3-division champion. He's 37 and doesn't have time, it's now or never.

Maybe so, he’s getting older and if he’s gonna get grapplefucked, it might as well be to the guy they’re gonna try to set up as the newest heavyweight goat

Not a good fight for Alex. It may happen because HW and LHW suck so bad, there is like no one else to make a big fight with.

Why? Pereira has done nothing to deserve a title shot at HW. I guess this would make some sense if Pereira vacated his LHW title but I would rather see him defend his belt at LHW than challenge for gold at HW.

Aspinall is a big HW with speed. Not a good match for poatan.

Weird match.

Tom is still a prospect. He has only fought 3 ranked fighters and he's 1-1 with one of them.

I would much rather Alex vs. Jan II. It's the only rematch that Alex should be or should've been doing.

Weird match.

Tom is still a prospect. He has only fought 3 ranked fighters and he's 1-1 with one of them.

I would much rather Alex vs. Jan II. It's the only rematch that Alex should be or should've been doing.
Thats absolute nonsense and you know it.
Tom vs Poatan would be the biggest heavyweight fight since DC vs Stipe

Weird match.

Still a prospect? He has pretty much cleared out the top 10 of his division so much so that it's difficult to find any actual prospects for him.

Weird match.

Beaten Spivac, Tybura, Volkov, Blaydes, Pavlovich. Probably need to work on counting

Weird match.

Jan lost his title eliminator fight vs Alex last summer and his next fight is.... a title fight? :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josiah Judson
Back