Jones-Cormier is the greatest rivalry in MMA history

Can't call it a rivalry with only one fight, people.

Cormier goes through life big-dogging everyone. He's not mean spirited about it but everyone knows hes the alpha jock at practice and in the locker room. He likes pranks and bullying people around.

He was captain of his Olympic team and he's team captain of AKA. Watch any video of him training or even sitting in his hotel room with coaches and you'll see him grabbing whoever is around him. He loves to clown on people.

Then along came Jon Jones, who straight up son'd him.

Not just dumping him repeatedly, which emotionally broke him, but literally ending a round with him ass-on-mat getting face palmed. Cormier was getting clowned by Jones out in the open.

Suffice to say Cormier wants this win back more than anything. Probably more than he wanted Olympic gold. This is his last chance to be champion and his athletic career is nearly up.

I'm picking Jones in the rematch but I'm expecting the best trained, most motivated Cormier we've ever seen.

Well said. And that's part of why it's such a great rivalry. Add their weigh-in scuffle, the "I will literally kill you" back-and-forth, Cormier crying after the fight, Jones mocking him, Jones wrecking his car, Cormier mocking him and taking the belt, Jones coming back etc. and it's legendary. It doesn't have that air of phoniness that Tito-Shamrock had.

Ufc 182 Main Event was a 5 round dud.

The fact that the first fight played out so anticlimactic and the possibility of the second one going the same way it loses its rivalry-ness if that makes sense.

Anderson vs Chael
BJ vs Hughes
Rampage vs Wand

All better rivalries IMO

Ufc 182 Main Event was a 5 round dud.

The fact that the first fight played out so anticlimactic and the possibility of the second one going the same way it loses its rivalry-ness if that makes sense.

Anderson vs Chael
BJ vs Hughes
Rampage vs Wand

All better rivalries IMO

So Wand obliterating Rampage twice makes for a better rivalry than hard-fought close battles? What.
(yes I know Rampage beat Wand many years later).

DC-Jones is GOAT most interesting matchup. Don't know about rivalry tho, only if DC wins the 2nd fight and we get a trilogy.

No you fool.

giphy.gif
Damn, this is odd. I immediately thought of a line from ESB, then I open the thread and see a gif from the movie.

Anyway, it's practically more of a feud at this point. And it's definitely not the best feud. There's only been one fight, and it went Jones's way. If Cormier wins the rematch, that would make it more of a rivalry than it is now. Likely still not the greatest.

Too much "of all times" going on around here these days.

I feel like there could've been better booking with this rivalry.

My vote goes to Wand and Rampage. You could tell they honestly hated each other.

Didn't Rampage always say he didn't hate Wand? But anyway this would get my vote too. GSP vs Penn also just because their fans hated each other

No. Only been one fight! But could be, if DC wins the second fight.

Thats like saying RDA and Pettis have a rivalry because one beat the other up for 5 rounds.

So Wand obliterating Rampage twice makes for a better rivalry than hard-fought close battles? What.
(yes I know Rampage beat Wand many years later).

Rampage vs Wandy was very back and forth close fights before the finishes. It wasn't just Wanderlei running through Rampage

And they're fairly evenly matched. Their fight was a close one with Jones taking 3 rounds and Cormier taking 2. Can't wait to see what will happen now that the roles are reversed and Cormier is the champ.

Jones won 4 rounds to DC 1 on every score card. It was somewhat competitive, but Jones clearly won. Now Jones is an even bigger favorite and most still see him as the real champ, just not on paper. I don't see how this is the biggest rivalry. People were hyped for Rampage vs Wand 2 because Rampage was easily winning before the finish and many thought he had a real shot. Most don't give DC a shot and see this fight as more about Jones coming back and fixing his personal problems then DC vs Jones

Back