Who is the Greatest Champ Champ in MMA History Across All Orgs ?

The answer is actually BJ Penn and if you disagree, you are objectively wrong.

He was inarguably the number 1 LW at one point and when he beat Hughes, he was inarguably the number 1 WW.

Jones didn't beat the reigning, lineal HW champ. Randy was legit HW champ but was never the proven 'man' at LHW because top talent was split with Pride - as proven when Rampage defeated Chuck (who beat Randy). Hendo lost both of his UFC 'unification' fights at LHW and MW proving he wasn't number 1.

GSP cherry picked a one-eyed man who nobody believes was actually the best MW and then ducked Whittaker. Alex is only a semi-legit champ, as the UFC has navigated him away from grapplers and he won the LHW belt that was vacant. The LHW belt is a joke, with multiple champs vacating.

Shillmier has always lived in Jones' shadow. Cejudo lost the DJ fight and then beat a random guy for the vacant title who would then go on an epic losing streak. He only defended a washed up old man in Cruz who had no business getting a title shot in the first place.

The other guys fight in bum leagues and aren't worth mentioning.

Strange to think old mate Tippy Toes was the most legit double champ. But life is strange. Only guy to ever be clear cut the best in two divisions.
Oh look another genius who believes his opinions are facts

<36>

It has to be someone who actively fought and at the top in both divisions. This eliminates guys like Jones and GSP. Jones if he went on to defend the HW belt multiple times, could be in the discussion, but that seems unlikely at this point. I think it comes down to 3 choices: Couture, Penn, or Cormier. I'm sort of in agreement that it's BJ, but a case could be made for Randy who won the HW belt 3 times and the LHW belt twice, which is still unprecedented. He fought more at HW but had a great run at 205 beating Chuck, Tito, and Vitor who were all among the best 205ers in the world at that time.

Hard to beat Randy... Heavyweight Champ , Light Heavyweight Champ , Heavyweight Champ.... and pretty sure he had a successful defense for each.
First post nails it.

The only argument is that potentially he didn't actually beat the #1 guys with Wand and Fedor rulling those weight classes in pride/affliction when Randy won his belts.. I think the defenses of the titles and winning the HW title twice is enough.

Jones won at HW when Nagannou left, DC won at LHW when Jones left.

Conor didn't defend either belt. BJ for the most part lost too many in his other WW fights.

Dan Henderson is another good option

I'd say Randy, Hendo, Penn, GSP, DC, Jones, Conor

For now. Jones could easily take that #1 spot if he just won a few more fights. Maybe even just 1 more if its Aspinal

DC imo. Won and defended titles in two divisions and won a GP despite being undersized in both divisions.

The most honest answer is NO ONE.

Tier A: won and defended 2 divisions linear titles in premier org

Henry Cejudo

Tier B:
legitmate linear champs in two divisions
Defended one division

GSP
BJ Penn*

Tier C
legitmate linear champs in two divisions
Defended neither

Alex Periera
Conor McGregor

Tier D:

won a linear title and a vacant or probably somewhat gifted 2nd title.

Jon Jones
DC

Tier E
Won 2 titles but neither were Unified or linear world titles.

Randy Couture - - failed to beat top guys
Dan Henderson -- in "Co-premier orgs"

WMMA

Amanda Nunes = undisputed best WMMA double champ.
Won legit lineal titles and defended.

B Leagues:

double/triple champions of non premier orgs:

Ryan Bader
Joe Warren
David Branch
Martin Ngyuen
Aung La Nsang
Patrico Freire
Renier De Ridder
Christian Lee
Anatoly Malkin
Larissa Pacheco

Per established protocol from boxing, a linear title is won from prior world champ. In the event that a reigning champ retires or vacates, a new lineage is established when new champ defends successfully against a #1 contender. (Or interim champ)

*BJ Penn won LW vacant title but became lineal champ in his defense over Sherk.

Last edited:
Francis had his chance to stay for it but didn't. No disrespect. He did awesome vs Fury but you can't just say he, with all the holes in his game be suddenly the guy who beats Jones. I'd bet the house on Jones but I'd love to see the fight.
Jones literally ducked Francis for years, and no amount of revisionist cope will change that fact.

Reactions: HHJ
Jooooon.... Boooooones... Joooooones!!! The undisputed GOAT!!! <JonesDXSuckIt> <JonesLaugh> <Moves>

It's Jon Jones. Every thread like that is completely and totally irrelevant because everyone knows deep down it's Jon Jones.

I can't tell you who the greatest double champ is, but I can tell you who the worst one is. Daniel Cormier.

-Got the LHW title because the real champ couldn't get his shit together. When the latter did, DC got knocked out.
-Got the HW title because he strategically and fully intentionally eyepoked the real champ into a win. When the latter rematched him twice he knocked DC out.

Here is a complete list of two weight class champions in MMA history. Who is the best of the best?

Randy Couture
Dan Henderson
BJ Penn
Joe Warren
David Branch
Connor McGregor
George St. Pierre
Martin Ngyuen
Aung La Nsang
Daniel Cormier
Amanda Nunes
Ryan Bader
Henry Cedujo
Patrico Freire
Renier De Ridder
Christian Lee
Jon Jones
Anatoly Malkin
Larissa Pacheco
Alex Periera

??????????????????????
a few names shouldnt be there
Jones beat GANE. thats all.
GSP beat BISPING. thats all.
I dont even consider them double champs TBH.

the two best names in this list IMHO are Penn and Nunes.

-Got the HW title because he strategically and fully intentionally eyepoked the real champ into a win. When the latter rematched him twice he knocked DC out.

The actual cheater :

And had to wait Cormier had back surgery and was even closer to being a retired fighter to finally beat him, because he could likely never beat a younger and healthy Cormier.

The answer is actually BJ Penn and if you disagree, you are objectively wrong.
BJ Penn failed to capture the UFC LW title twice (got his ass beat by Jens Pulver, and drew with Caol Uno), so the UFC had to set up him up with journeyman Daddy Joe Stevenson for a vacant title so he could finally get a belt <Lmaoo>
Penn didn't beat the LW champ to become the champ, so he's DQ'd.

He then lost his LW title by getting his shit pushed in 3 times by BANTAMWEIGHT Frannkie Edgar {<jordan}

He also miserably failed to capture the WW title, tapping to strikes in his corner against GSP & losing to his for the second time after all that shit he talked

BJ is not even top 5 in this list

He won a vacant title.
He beat the linear champ, who was on steroids.
In 32 seconds.
That's WHY the title was vacant.

He beat the 125 linear champ, defended that belt against the linear 135 champ, then officially acquired and defended the 135 title.

He beat the man at both weights.
That is the literal definition of linear champion.

125: DJ
135: TJ

Imo "champ champ" meaning has changed.

Conor's thing was new because he held two belts at the same time. If you open it to people who have just held belts in multiple classes but separately, that's not entirely the same imo. Still very impressive, but different.

Then again, someone actually defending both at the same time, that's a bit of a unicorn.

Last edited:
It should only consist of champs that at least defended the belt, take that can Conor from the list.

He beat the linear champ, who was on steroids.
In 32 seconds.
That's WHY the title was vacant.

I don't care, he didn't beat him in the right division.

Izzy beat Alex in their last fight, it doesn't necessarily mean he could beat him in the LHW division.

BJ Penn would easily be #1 if he had been more motivated.

giphy.gif

The only right answer
Goat of the sport and made gane look like he's never trained

Best fighter by a mile. I love khabib, but Jones is by far the man of mma

Back