Who is the Greatest Champ Champ in MMA History Across All Orgs ?

I look at bjs defeat of Gomi for the title better than GSP and bisping, and something that really solidified him as the worlds best LW , but if you’re only staying ufc yeah that’s about the same, but then penn beat Sherk who was the best lightweight in the ufc other than penn at the time. So it solidifies his double status a little more, if you want to view that as the true dance for the strap.

Of course we have to look in the UFC, or at the least within the same organization. But BJ didnt beat Gomi for a title, he beat him in a tournament and won a tournament title.

Personally, I place Nunes as the best champ champ lol

100% BJ Penn

It’s not GSP for beating a 40 year old with one eye
It’s not Jon for beating Gane (this is closer)

Edit: or Nunes^^

All these people mentioned are good too...

just not as good as being the first Simultaneous Double Champ in UFC

Dan Henderson ladies and gentlemen

The answer is actually BJ Penn and if you disagree, you are objectively wrong.

He was inarguably the number 1 LW at one point and when he beat Hughes, he was inarguably the number 1 WW.

Jones didn't beat the reigning, lineal HW champ. Randy was legit HW champ but was never the proven 'man' at LHW because top talent was split with Pride - as proven when Rampage defeated Chuck (who beat Randy). Hendo lost both of his UFC 'unification' fights at LHW and MW proving he wasn't number 1.

GSP cherry picked a one-eyed man who nobody believes was actually the best MW and then ducked Whittaker. Alex is only a semi-legit champ, as the UFC has navigated him away from grapplers and he won the LHW belt that was vacant. The LHW belt is a joke, with multiple champs vacating.

Shillmier has always lived in Jones' shadow. Cejudo lost the DJ fight and then beat a random guy for the vacant title who would then go on an epic losing streak. He only defended a washed up old man in Cruz who had no business getting a title shot in the first place.

The other guys fight in bum leagues and aren't worth mentioning.

Strange to think old mate Tippy Toes was the most legit double champ. But life is strange. Only guy to ever be clear cut the best in two divisions.
Great post, fully agree.

A lot of people seem to think Penn was UFC LW champ first, then went up. When in fact his first UFC title was the WW strap. He pulled the ROTR LW belt when he beat world #1 Takanori Gomi.

Prime Penn was one of the best fighting specimens we've ever seen.

How do you become champ by beating someone who is not? lol Fedor had already lost to Werdum and Bigfoot Silva in back to back fights before he even fought Dan
Of course he didn't become champ. Fedor obviously wasn't champ genius. Just pointing out hendo was badass for putting Fedor on his resume. Yall take shit seriously lol

There's a fault/circumstance somehow with each person on this list. To me the best answer feels like Daniel Cormier. BJ Penn was a bit before my time watching mma.

Hendo probably had the greatest champ/champ moment beating Wanderlei, yeah post Crocoping but still dethroning the most dominant LHW champ of the era.

His actual MW champ run in Pride though you could argue was much less impressive.

DC and Handy were the first to come to mind.

DC didn't need to vacate, either. He was actively defending both belts.

Handy winning 6 belts across 2 divisions is insane and I don't think anyone in the UFC will do that anytime soon.

I think it's hard to say, a lot of fighters had favorable situations, I would probably go with BJ in terms of how he became a two division champ, smashing Hughes who was clearly the bigger man and the best WW at the time, also took GSP to a very close decision for their first fight, then becoming a god at LW, only problem is a lot of other good LWs were in WEC, GSP's was impressive too, but he sat out for 3 years then beat Bisping who wasn't the MW at the time, IF Volk beat Islam the first time, it would easily be him imo

The answer is actually BJ Penn and if you disagree, you are objectively wrong.

He was inarguably the number 1 LW at one point and when he beat Hughes, he was inarguably the number 1 WW.

Jones didn't beat the reigning, lineal HW champ. Randy was legit HW champ but was never the proven 'man' at LHW because top talent was split with Pride - as proven when Rampage defeated Chuck (who beat Randy). Hendo lost both of his UFC 'unification' fights at LHW and MW proving he wasn't number 1.

GSP cherry picked a one-eyed man who nobody believes was actually the best MW and then ducked Whittaker. Alex is only a semi-legit champ, as the UFC has navigated him away from grapplers and he won the LHW belt that was vacant. The LHW belt is a joke, with multiple champs vacating.

Shillmier has always lived in Jones' shadow. Cejudo lost the DJ fight and then beat a random guy for the vacant title who would then go on an epic losing streak. He only defended a washed up old man in Cruz who had no business getting a title shot in the first place.

The other guys fight in bum leagues and aren't worth mentioning.

Strange to think old mate Tippy Toes was the most legit double champ. But life is strange. Only guy to ever be clear cut the best in two divisions.

Penn failed in his first 2 shots at LW gold then beat some random guy for the vacant title

Also never beat a WW not named Hughes in the ufc

If Parnasse from KSW wins next weekend, I'm just going with him. Would be the sport's first triple champ. Already FW and LW champ, looking for a third simultaneous belt at WW.

I know, KSW, but most of you are unaware that there is some legit talent in that league. Factor in that NO ONE ever in the sport won belts at three weight classes, much less held them at the same time. I expect him to move around and fight elsewhere at some point, and I expect him to continue finding success.

Tough fight coming up, though.

Penn failed in his first 2 shots at LW gold then beat some random guy for the vacant title

Also never beat a WW not named Hughes in th ufc

Penn became the lineal champ of not just the original UFC LW championship line but the Shooto 154 line when he beat Bang Ludwig.

It's true that he initially won a vacant title. However, his next fight was against the champ that vacated the belt, so that solved that problem immediately.

Thus, Penn was not only the lineal champ of the original UFC line but he also re-absorbed the new line that had been created in his absence. He'd also avenged his loss to the original champ.

Meanwhile, at the same period as Penn was unifying the UFC lineal LW title claim, Giblert had managed to lose his lineal Strikeforce claim to Ishida, who in his previous fight had been murdered in a minute by Gomi.

Hence the only other dominant LW in the world in a rival organisation at the time was a guy who Penn had already smashed. There is absolutely nothing to question about why there was consensus that Penn was the number 1 LW when he was UFC champ.

So go get your fucking shinebox and clean old Tippy Toes' pointed shoes.

BJ got gifted the decision against Serra.

That said, I also think BJ should have gotten the nod against Lyoto.

Back