I'm getting old.

born in '76. Go to the gym no less than 4 times a week, stop eating fast food and sodas, don't binge drink anymore, find someone who will blow you and can watch TV in the other room when the game is on and always focus on your money. Fall in love with the money, you don't want the stress of a job or career once you're in your 50's

This may be a strange request but...

Can you be my father?

I've flirted with the idea of education for a long time. I've always respected the academic and the thinker. Then again, I'm doubtful as to whether or not I want to devote money and time into this just yet, as I wish to get my own home and travel first.

I was single for a very long time before I met my current partner and I regret not travelling more often. I didn't make much money at the time but I could have saved. Instead I just went to an overly expensive health club, worked and slept. Money went to either moving property or study (distance learning that I paid for up-front, until I tried, and failed to join the Royal Navy). I should have saved, just a bit, to do a city break here and there.

Some of it may be to do with the monotonous nature of adulthood. I'm not criticising my job, as I can save with it even on basic, and I can maintain a good work-life balance. 4 on, 2 off, and the 2 off tends to be stay at home aside from gym time. I didn't do much last year. Maybe some more trips to central London are in order?

I'm actually starting to fear the death of myself and my loved ones. I've been thinking about Christianity and Buddhism as of late. I don't wish to devote my life to them, but is there harm in forcing oneself to believe? After all, what is lost if it isn't true? I'll be dead, and I will not leave a lasting legacy.

I'm understanding the concepts of time moving faster and the midlife crisis.

Then again, at times, somebody needs to hear about themselves being stupid.

Thank you all for your replies. They mean a lot.

30s aint old. I'm in my early 30s too. Go out and enjoy your fucking life.

I can relate to this thread as I found my first grey hair 2 days ago. It was a beard hair.

30s are a great fucking age to be. I'm young and healthy enough to do pretty much anything, and I have enough money and time to do anything.

My 20s were either not enough money or not enough time, now I have both.

I think the 40s will be similar but if I end up having a family or health issues, then shit can go sideways and the whole 'freedom life' gets limited again.

Get a weird haircut you always wanted, get a cheesy tattoo, sniff some coke from a hooker's ass, and you'll be fine. If that does not help, buy a cheesy sports motorcycle.

I've been considering the idea that the worship of youth might actually just be some bullshit that's easy for people to buy into because we're all avoiding the reality that death is coming for us.

My 30s are waaaaay better than my 20s. I actually have money now to do the things I wanted to do then. I'm also calmer and wiser. Whilst still no Casanova, my interactions with women are far more relaxed than they were.

In all likelihood my 40s will be even better, as long as I can focus on the good, and not the fact that I'm constantly inching closer to oblivion.

Last edited:
Wise choices in your youth can give you a better future. Shitty choices in your youth can give you a future where you worry about money all the time and don't pay your debts and are basically miserable and blaming everyone else for your problems.

Maturity means knowing what's important and what's not important. I see the local news show youngsters dying doing stupid risky shit. Was the temporary thrill worth prematurely ending your life and causing distress to your loved ones?

Dunno, I feel a lot better overall at 41 than in my late 20s to mid 30s. I was working in corporate marketing for Pharmaceutical company and most of my 30s in NYC and later in Florida. A pretty committed long term relationship off and on that really wasn’t future based. Either way I was happy at times but always stressed and on the run From anxiety work and personal related.

I’m better overall now, financially and a lil stronger physically, but the context and challenges are different. I’m dating but not really attached to anything long term yet, But happy with the relationship, and dating situation in general. That said I’m happy enough with my situation and hope this continues into my 50s and onward.

Last edited:
I've flirted with the idea of education for a long time. I've always respected the academic and the thinker. Then again, I'm doubtful as to whether or not I want to devote money and time into this just yet, as I wish to get my own home and travel first.

I was single for a very long time before I met my current partner and I regret not travelling more often. I didn't make much money at the time but I could have saved. Instead I just went to an overly expensive health club, worked and slept. Money went to either moving property or study (distance learning that I paid for up-front, until I tried, and failed to join the Royal Navy). I should have saved, just a bit, to do a city break here and there.

Some of it may be to do with the monotonous nature of adulthood. I'm not criticising my job, as I can save with it even on basic, and I can maintain a good work-life balance. 4 on, 2 off, and the 2 off tends to be stay at home aside from gym time. I didn't do much last year. Maybe some more trips to central London are in order?

I'm actually starting to fear the death of myself and my loved ones. I've been thinking about Christianity and Buddhism as of late. I don't wish to devote my life to them, but is there harm in forcing oneself to believe? After all, what is lost if it isn't true? I'll be dead, and I will not leave a lasting legacy.

You just need to try and enjoy your life mate, age doesn't matter if you're having fun

And I don't mean going balls out mental for fun constantly, just chill and enjoy the simple things in life

be happy you're alive, speak to someone who might be able to improve your philosophy on life

take a look around at the millions of people way worse off than you, then stop fucking moaning (and I mean that in a nice way)

hang on though, are you English? or at least living in England? that case you're fucked, GET OUT NOW. GET OUT NOW!

You just need to try and enjoy your life mate, age doesn't matter if you're having fun

And I don't mean going balls out mental for fun constantly, just chill and enjoy the simple things in life

be happy you're alive, speak to someone who might be able to improve your philosophy on life

take a look around at the millions of people way worse off than you, then stop fucking moaning (and I mean that in a nice way)

hang on though, are you English? or at least living in England? that case you're fucked, GET OUT NOW. GET OUT NOW!

Lol england is ok everyone is moving there from around these parts

Lol england is ok everyone is moving there from around these parts
That's because we've tricked you, bit like that movie the Island where you think you've won the lottery to go live in paradise, but really, you're fucked!

Scandinavia is so beautiful though, and not as over populated and toxic, guess it depends what people are after eh?

That's because we've tricked you, bit like that movie the Island where you think you've won the lottery to go live in paradise, but really, you're fucked!

Scandinavia is so beautiful though, and not as over populated and toxic, guess it depends what people are after eh?

Yeah except we are not scandinavia , they are also a place people like to move from here

oh shit,grandpa must be firing blanks!

7 years until 40, at least half of my life done.

The moment I feared when I was a depressed teenager is coming, when I look back with nothing but regret.

I wonder how I fucked up so much. I've never been stupid, just aimless.

What if I become terminal? I've only been happy-ish and optimistic over the last four years.

I may say fuck the mortgage and blow my savings on travel until I die.

Any advice?

Shits keeping me awake at night.
soon your teeth will start falling out and everyone around you are gonna die.

the last days of peoples lives are going to funerals.

hope that cheered you up.

soon your teeth will start falling out and everyone around you are gonna die.

the last days of peoples lives are going to funerals.

hope that cheered you up.
giphy.gif

Can recommend buddhaweekly.com for decent articles about buddhism, buddhist philosophy and various mindfulness-related articles.

Maybe you can find some inspiring ideas there and try different aspects of buddhist philosophy on for size at your own leisure.

You can always shave your head and buy orange clothes later...

GL

Last edited:
this is tattoo'd on my chest

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty is heavier than a mountain."

辞世とは
即ちまよひ
たゞ死なん

Death poems
are mere delusion —
death is death

Back