• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ilia Topuria’s Future Plans: Title Defense vs. Max Holloway, Conor McGregor Fight in Spain

GETTY_Day-of-Reckoning-Fight-Night_SPO_GYI1877857695jpg-JS868059750.jpg

HAY Kowboy, c'mon man, Aldo was smart enuff & KNEW he'd never beat the roided, improper 12'd & coked-out McG that night.

Even a normally dominant and sober Sherdogger (against Conor using Dana's paid refs and commentators Joe & DC), would have prevailed even with a slight AF camera angle displaying a faked advantage for their paid and set-up favorites.
<mma4>

Last edited:
You think Topuria has quicker hands than Max? I'm not sure about that but now I'm fascinated. Max for sure has the quicker feet, gun to my head I do sorta favor Max too, I just think he can take Ilias power and Ilia will slow down...Max is so battle tested and not slowing down yet. I think Max will approach it similar to how he did vs Allen and Gaethje, he used his footwork a lot more, was a bit more defensively responsible, was in and out and looked to kick more again vs Gaethje...Topuria has been dropped twice in his career, both by high kicks and he's definitely not the most comfortable with them on top of being short.

On a different note, I want Ilia or Max vs Evloev pretty bad. Max hasn't fought a wrestler since Edgar who was old and before that basically Bermudez. Ilia hasn't really fought a wrestler ever.

I think Max's entries and exits make his hands look faster against slower opponents and fighters who don't handle angles well. I do think Ilia's are a bit quicker. I too am curious how Ilia's tank holds up at a high pace and how he'll fight going backward. I'm not sure if Max should look to overwhelm him with volume or sit back and pick his spots early to see how Topuria is going to approach the fight. Max's offensive diversity since the second Volkanovski fight has long been underrated around here, and his kicking game ignored even longer. If Max can make him work, beat him up some, avoid a devastating shot - the chin will go eventually and none of us know when - he's got a good chance here. I'm also a bit worried about his scar tissue around his eyes and how the cut will go with him heading back to 145. It's a great fight on paper. Very intriguing.

As for Evloev, he needs a step up in name to earn a title shot as the UFC seems keen on keeping him away from it. I fear they'll match him up with Lopes again rather than give him Ortega or even Volkanovski. He's 18-0 for a reason. Just another example of the UFC slow playing guys' careers. Frustrating.

I get that money talks but cmon nothing screams that your a slave to the dollar more than calling out conor mcregor post-pandemic.....

I think Max's entries and exits make his hands look faster against slower opponents and fighters who don't handle angles well. I do think Ilia's are a bit quicker. I too am curious how Ilia's tank holds up at a high pace and how he'll fight going backward. I'm not sure if Max should look to overwhelm him with volume or sit back and pick his spots early to see how Topuria is going to approach the fight. Max's offensive diversity since the second Volkanovski fight has long been underrated around here, and his kicking game ignored even longer. If Max can make him work, beat him up some, avoid a devastating shot - the chin will go eventually and none of us know when - he's got a good chance here. I'm also a bit worried about his scar tissue around his eyes and how the cut will go with him heading back to 145. It's a great fight on paper. Very intriguing.

As for Evloev, he needs a step up in name to earn a title shot as the UFC seems keen on keeping him away from it. I fear they'll match him up with Lopes again rather than give him Ortega or even Volkanovski. He's 18-0 for a reason. Just another example of the UFC slow playing guys' careers. Frustrating.

In terms of pure skill and ability on the table, Topuria vs Holloway and Shavkat vs Edwards are two of the best fights you can make in MMA right now. Merab vs O'Malley is up there too.

As for Evloev, the UFC sounded interesting in making Evloev vs Aljo. You really can't deny a guy who's 8-0 in the UFC and 18-0 overall, it's not like the division has many legitimate contenders. He might not be exciting but he's getting Ws. Hopefully he gets either Ortega, Aljo, Volk or Yair next.

He ain’t getting no Conor fight unless he wants to bulk up and get Fhat

I personally hope Max starches Tapioca, not a fan of him. Also a huge Max fan so... I think Tapioca vs Conor makes no sense honestly and we need to see what happens with the Chandler fight first. I hope Max beats Tapioca and Conor beats Chandler. Then Max and Conor have a rematch for a title shot at 155.

I absolutely hate when people call fighters by stupid nicknames btw so that should show how I feel about... "Tapioca".

I personally hope Max starches Tapioca, not a fan of him. Also a huge Max fan so... I think Tapioca vs Conor makes no sense honestly and we need to see what happens with the Chandler fight first. I hope Max beats Tapioca and Conor beats Chandler. Then Max and Conor have a rematch for a title shot at 155.

I absolutely hate when people call fighters by stupid nicknames btw so that should show how I feel about... "Tapioca".
Max is a huge fight... and I hate it when fighters start calling out other fights , like overlooking. But calling out Conor is pretty much a must, still the biggest PPV / Payday of a career.

Topuria, Islam and Edwards all want to fight McGregor. Pretty funny if you ask me.

Islam is the only one who has a realistic shot of facing Conor, assuming they both win their upcoming fights. Topuria and Edwards are living in fantasy land.

And Islam isn't even calling Conor out, he was asked if he would fight him and he said he'd be a fool to say no.

Back