Ilia Topuria: Movsar Evloev 'Needs to Finish Someone' to Earn Title Shot

I'm interpreting this as him just wanting to fight guys with alot of hype. He mentioned in the same response that half of Evloevs wins have been by SD, and I think his point more is that he hasn't established himself as a legitimate threat yet.

I think he genuinely looks at Max and Yair and doesn't see the appeal because they've proven to be beatable.

Can't blame the guy wanting to get paid enough to buy box seats for Real Madrid

connor-mcgregor-raining-money.gif
You can blame delusional thoughts though. Conor isn't making 145 this decade

Evloev needs to prove he can win without squeaking past the judges like a wet fart. Yair or Max next would be great.

I can see giving Max the TS first for more lifetime achievement plus he beat Arnold Allen (Movsar's best win) before Movsar did and with less close of a decision too

But Movsar does deserve a TS soon, maybe in the likely event that he beats the winner of Yair and Ortega

He is fighting Alex again probably
The UFC rematch machine is already turning its gears

Someone should remind Ilia that the UFC is the one that will choose his next opponent, not himself.
He's quoted in the OP saying that, as he said that in his press conference.

Decisiolaev would be the perfect bull aka sacrifical lamb for the El Matador to showcase for a full soccer stadium his finishing abilities.

Ilia is a cold killer, he does not feel mercy and will not wait for the tap like Lopes did, he will rip a limb off when that fool tries to hug him.

“He needs to finish someone” is not a valid reason to avoid someone that’s 18-0 8-0 in the UFC. Just something he made up, and his fans will parrot, becuz they know Evloev is the toughest fight for him. I say this as a big fan of Topuria.
how evloev is hardest fight for him? ilia is better grappler evloevs wrestling wont work against him and ilias boxing is levels above evloevs it will be easy fight for ilia first or second round finish

Interesting.

The way I look at this match up is that Topuria has never faced someone like Evloev. On the flip side, Evloev has impressively beaten a poor man’s version of Topuria in Dan Ige. Another thing, Topuria loves to fight in boxing range, which is the ideal range for a grappler like Evloev. Lastly, Topuria is at a size disadvantage which is not good vs a relentless grappler. Will his stamina hold up? Can he deal with the grappling while keeping the boxing stance? A good grappler can make an elite striker look mediocre. We saw that with Islam vs Volk. These are some of the question I want to see answered by the champ.

Ige might be a bankrupt man's Topuria in the same way that Albert Duraev is a bankrupt man's Khabib.

“It’s time to move on. It’s time to clean up the division. It’s time for the new generation to have new challengers, new faces.”
Picks Conor.
<Neil01>

Luckily for Ilia he has a legitimate wrestling/grappling background. I don’t think Movsar is bigger considering he’s fought at 135 before the ufc
Ilia is not a wrestler anymore. His past as a greco roman wrestler means nothing now. When he is in positions to clinch, he opts to box. Gain new skills, old skills get worse.

Also, Topuria has fought at 135 before the UFC as well. It was a long time ago, though.
Maybe Ilia is bigger than Evloev now, for some reason I just assumed Evloev was bigger because he always looks jacked.
Ige might be a bankrupt man's Topuria in the same way that Albert Duraev is a bankrupt man's Khabib.
Uh, okay. Ige is actually a perfect tune up opponent for someone that will face Topuria. He gives some of the same looks as Topuria, same size, and employs the same macro strategy. Duraev is a bum and hes not even in the same division as khabib. Weird comparison.

Last edited:
Ilia is not a wrestler anymore. His past as a greco roman wrestler means nothing now. When he is in positions to clinch, he opts to box. Gain new skills, old skills get worse.

Also, Topuria has fought at 135 before the UFC as well. It was a long time ago, though.
Maybe Ilia is bigger than Evloev now, for some reason I just assumed Evloev was bigger because he always looks jacked.

Uh, okay. Ige is actually a perfect tune up opponent for someone that will face Topuria. He gives some of the same looks as Topuria, same size, and employs the same macro strategy. Duraev is a bum and hes not even in the same division as khabib. Weird comparison.

I just mean in the way that he might have a similar style but he's absolutely nowhere near as good at it.

Back