Max Holloway: 'BMF' Title Fight at UFC 300 Creates a 'Lot of Options'

UFC 300 needs something special. The 155 division have a lot of great fun fighters. Add Volk and Max and you can make a legendary tournament K1-style.

Yeah, my main worry in the 2nd fight with Poirier is Max would land 5 or 6 strikes that Dustin ate and then Dustin would land 1 or 2 that really affected Max.

He's always had a fantastic chin but it just seemed like the power differential was too much at 155. He never gets rocked or stumbled at 145, and he does get hit a lot, like every fight. KZ, Allen, Volk, Kattar etc were all able to land over and over and Max just walks through them.

Against Poirier he couldn't do that, he was put on skates multiple times in the fight and had to go into survival mode a few times, and Gaethje hits harder than Dustin does. He's much more sadistic in there too.

Plus we've seen Gaethje deliver more than one career altering beating already.

I think Max has the skills to win and no doubt he's a better striker than Tony ever was, but he does similarly lean on his toughness and durability sometimes. I don't think he can do that in this fight.
I thought Max got the better of Poirier in the later rds, or al least Max definitely had his moments in the later rds. As far as the power differential between Justin and Dustin goes, I don't think Justin hits harder, I think their almost identical, just my opinion. Max got that chin, baring a well placed kick from Justin, I can see Max hanging in there and taking over in the later rds,

I might be wrong though and just dreaming all this shit up because I would love for Max to win. Lol

I thought Max got the better of Poirier in the later rds, or al least Max definitely had his moments in the later rds. As far as the power differential between Justin and Dustin goes, I don't think Justin hits harder, I think their almost identical, just my opinion. Max got that chin, baring a well placed kick from Justin, I can see Max hanging in there and taking over in the later rds, I might be wrong though. Lol
Max has the chin to be able to stick in there with Justin for sure, but that's exactly what I'm worried about.

It's like the more durable you are, the more of a beating Gaethje is able to inflict, over a longer period of time.

Quick knockouts aren't the career changers, it's the prolonged beatings where the guy losing is just too tough to be finished. Too tough for his own good.

Max has the chin to be able to stick in there with Justin for sure, but that's exactly what I'm worried about.

It's like the more durable you are, the more of a beating Gaethje is able to inflict, over a longer period of time.

Quick knockouts aren't the career changers, it's the prolonged beatings where the guy losing is just too tough to be finished. Too tough for his own good.
True

max-holloway-justin-gaethje.jpg

While Max Holloway was eyeing a title shot, he also wanted to be on the UFC 300 card.

A “BMF” title fight against Justin Gaethje was good enough to make the latter a reality.

Holloway has bested the majority of the UFC’s featherweight division with the exception of reigning champion Alexander Volkanovski, who owns three victories over the Hawaiian. After earning consecutive victories over Arnold Allen and Chan Sung Jung, Holloway had been rallying for yet another shot against Volkanovski. However, the promotion decided to book “The Great” against undefeated Spanish contender Ilia Topuria for UFC 298 on Feb. 17 in Anaheim, California.

Things eventually worked out well for Holloway with a booking against Gaethje on the marquee UFC 300 card.

“Oliveira and Islam was booked, I just came off a big win with ‘Korean Zombie,’ and then the 45 title was booked too at the same time,” Holloway told Kevin Iole. “So, he had the ‘BMF’ belt and I like options. At 45, I think the next step for me is back for the title. We was being undeniable. We had that third fight with Volk. I had to go fight Arnold. We did that. They gave me the fight against ‘Korean Zombie’ over out in Asia, and that was a fun one. We did that, and what’s next is a title shot, we was thinking. They went a different way, and in this sport, having options is great.”

Holloway also likes the options that may open up with a potential win over Gaethje, as he could defend the ‘BMF’ strap in both divisions.

“It’s options,” he said. “I think a lot of doors are going to get opened, a lot of options are going to be open. We’ll see what happens. … First things first is the man in front of me. I got a dangerous guy in Justin Gaethje, but we’re going to handle him first, and then after that, like I said: It’s just a game of options. A lot of things can open up after this fight. That’s what I’m focused on. Focused on getting my hand raised, and shock the world, I guess... This is a card I really wanted to be a part of because I know I’m not going to be around for 400. And if I am, please tell me to retire."

Many believe Holloway will have a significant power disadvantage against Gaethje, who is currently a -225 favorite and coming off a head-kick knockout win over Dustin Poirier.

The main "option" that I can see for Max after this fight is how much time he will need to take off afterwards and how he will deal with the resulting CTE :(

I fucking hate this fight so much...

Last edited:
I like the fight in terms of potential just-bang, but I kind of feel Gaethje is going to put a horrific beatdown on Max, and potentially ruin him like he did Cucuy.

Max had a rough outting with Poirier due to the power, and Gaethje hits and kicks even harder.

Not hating on the match up, but a little concerned for Holloway here.
It was a rough outing but Max's chin held up better against that version of Poirier than Eddie, Gaethje, or Bobby's chins did.

He dropped Poirier in rd 1 before the 10-8, won the 1st 4 mins of round 2 in some of his best work ever before getting hurt again. Then he won most of rd 3 while 4 & 5 were as close as rds 2 & 3 of DDP/Sean. 49-45, 48-46, & 47-47(as Khabib had it) are all plausible. If 10-10 rounds were a real thing then 49-47 is how I'd score it.

It felt much more lopsided the night of, but it's more competitive upon rewatch. 1 of the best fights ever imo especially if speed chess is your shit.

Fuck all this division jumping. Do your thing at the lower weight and then move up and stay up. Dustin P did it right. Whittaker did it right. For the most part, there really is nothing left for Max at 145. I get it if he wants to stay at that weight, but at the same time he should make the move up to 155 if he is just going to fight 155'ers. Like move up the right way and bulk up some instead of just coming in bloated for a 1 time fight at the higher weight. Not sure this fight ends well for Max and honestly think he gets knocked the fuck out. So I definitely think Max should have taken more time and bulked up and just stayed at 155.

Nobody wants him to win more than me, but that also means im more worried than anyone else as well.

Yes and no, lol

Max can obviously enjoy a few fun fights at 155 or 145 if he beats Justin, but I hope he realizes he's probably not getting a real title for as long as he holds it...

He is a good candidate for BMF status but unfortunately he just ran into Justin and might get seriously hurt.

This all should've played out as Nate Diaz winning BMF and then fighting Max at any weight.
Max lighting up Diaz would've been a barn burner.

Askren & Masvidal were lames. Lawler wasn't out.

I'm hoping so but I think Justin "Homers" him.

1Uqv.gif
TJorluI.gif

giphy.gif

You guys are severely overrating gaethe and severely underrating max ….. I think max wins this fight personally

I want to believe. Let's go Max!!!

Tough, tough fight and I don't think he wins it. I would love to be wrong. Gaethje has always been the hammer and now he's a tactical one. I think Max's career is winding down. I'm just going to appreciate him while he's here.

Nobody wants him to win more than me, but that also means im more worried than anyone else as well.

Yes and no, lol

Max can obviously enjoy a few fun fights at 155 or 145 if he beats Justin, but I hope he realizes he's probably not getting a real title for as long as he holds it...

The main "option" that I can see for Max after this fight is how much time he will need to take off afterwards and how he will deal with the resulting CTE :(

I fucking hate this fight so much...
Just Bleed Bless :)

giphy.gif

How does Max even win this?

He can't wear people down at 155 like he could at featherweight because he doesn't have the power and the punches coming back at him are way heavier.

I mean even at FW he has no power, but it's enough to beat them up over 5 rounds at least with a few exceptions like stopping Aldo
His best chance is to pressure Gaethje like a dog, keep him on the back foot. Max is very durable, so he will have to lean on that, march forward, pressure Gaethje. If you give Justin space and let him fight at his pace, he will kick his legs apart before knocking his block off.

Back