• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does Whitaker beat DDP in a rematch?

JustBreed

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Does Whittaker's performance against costa tell us anymore about where he's at, and how he might go against DDP in a rematch?

I personally feel like he's at a point where he could show up and look terrible against whoever he fights next, or he could look great.

Haven't really seen much discussed about whether or not the win over costa has restored his stock, other than to say it was a good fight, which he won convincingly.

I don't believe so. I don't think Bob is a beat a guy who beat me guy. I dont think he'd beat IA no matter how many times they fought.

I think he does. DDP would struggle hard to take him down and he’d probably bounce right back up. Whittaker also has the better stand up no matter what happened in their fight before. It’s a good match up for Whittaker.

No. I think DDP is a bit too strong for the Aussie.

I think he does. DDP would struggle hard to take him down and he’d probably bounce right back up. Whittaker also has the better stand up no matter what happened in their fight before. It’s a good match up for Whittaker.
Last time DDP took him down in the middle of the octagon and bashed him on the floor to take the 1st round. Of course a new fight is different, but I don't know about "bounce back up" . DDP wins again imo

no. he's too slow. if he was fast like he was vs Yoel, i'd give him a real chance. because DDP beat him with timing but the Whittaker from the Yoel fight is much faster than he is now and had better ways to misdirect opponent's vision so they couldn't see his left hook. now he's too slow to do all that footwork and as you can see vs Costa he just breaks his timing up better but those little adjustments aren't enough to stop DDP. hell, i think the Costa that fought Yoel would beat Whittaker right now.

i don't think so.

ddp has a similar style to costa and romero except with a gas tank. IE he will punsih whitaker on hsi blitzes and be able to do it over 5 rounds.
add in the threat of takedowns
thats really a recipe for disaster

DDP is too young and strong for Whittaker. I don't think Rob had a bad night the first time, it was a matter of power because Rob's striking had absolutely no effect on DDP, but every punch from Dricus had him stumbling.

I think there's a few guys at MW who could easily beat Dricus.

Whittaker only proved he was competitive against Costa and could still win fights. He was blasted pretty bad from that leg kick and still came back to take over. It's impressive, but he needs to kill other contenders going for the belt before another rematch in the UFC.

Tough matchup. I think Whittaker can win, but I'd still pick DDP as the favorite.

I do think Whittaker beats Strickland. But that puts us in the position of potentially seeing Whittaker defeat Strickland, and Adesanya defeat DDP, leading to a Whittaker/Adesanya rematch that a lot of people don't want to see. As much as I am a Whittaker fan, the best thing for the sport would be Strickland beating Whittaker, as Strickland vs the DDP/Adesanya winner is interesting no matter who claims the title.

Unless something strange happens if Dricus remains the champion. It’ll be at least a year before they would fight again. So I’ll watch their next fights, and have a better answer.

lol no he gets steamrolled again.

the first fight was conclusive, We were all able to see that in terms of physical strength, DDP will manhandle him. Rob doesn't hit hard enough to deter him either.

Back