Why Izzy can beat DDP

His kicking game is considerably more diverse than costas. I'm not sure how you could argue otherwise. DDP goes inside and outside on the leg, he goes high with both the lead and rear leg, he'll go to the body, he'll use question mark kicks, spinning kicks etc etc. On top of all that, he can do most of them from orthodox AND southpaw. Strickland did a good job checking, but the checking didn't stop him at all and DDP got strickland's leg several times while strickland was pivoting away, he got strickland to the body a lot from southpaw, his question mark kick landed a few times as well.

Costa predominately goes with body kicks, powerful body kicks, from one stance. He is powerful, but nowhere near as diverse as Dricus in any area of the game to be honest.

I concede that DDP can do more kicks from both stances.

However, Costa also does question mark kicks and has powerful kicks in general.

I concede that DDP can do more kicks from both stances.

However, Costa also does question mark kicks and has powerful kicks in general.

He does, but the vast majority of his kicking game is dedicated to the body. Dricus is just more diverse, both with his kick selection and his targets. Also, Costa approached the izzy fight like an idiot lol. I know people seem to think dricus is dumb or something, but he's shown solid gameplanning as of late. I don't think he'd just stand there and let his calf be taken the way costa did. It's a very different fight.

The closest fighter to DDP in the division is cannonier, but even he isn't quite as diverse as DDP because canonier lacks the offensive wrestling/submission game, and for a while cannonier lacked the output (glad to see that he changed that in his last fight though).

He does, but the vast majority of his kicking game is dedicated to the body. Dricus is just more diverse, both with his kick selection and his targets. Also, Costa approached the izzy fight like an idiot lol. I know people seem to think dricus is dumb or something, but he's shown solid gameplanning as of late. I don't think he'd just stand there and let his calf be taken the way costa did. It's a very different fight.

The closest fighter to DDP in the division is cannonier, but even he isn't quite as diverse as DDP because canonier lacks the offensive wrestling/submission game, and for a while cannonier lacked the output (glad to see that he changed that in his last fight though).

DDP is more diverse, but I still don't think it's better than Adesanya's. Izzy will win the kicking game IMO.

DDP showed vulnerability to Strickland's teep kicks. Regardless, I want to see this fight next.

DDP is more diverse, but I still don't think it's better than Adesanya's. Izzy will win the kicking game IMO.

DDP showed vulnerability to Strickland's teep kicks. Regardless, I want to see this fight next.

I'm not saying his kicking game is as good as Izzy's. I'm just saying he won't be a helpless sitting duck at kicking range with izzy the way we've seen so many others like costa, vetori, romero, etc etc etc

It is a good fight, but I really would rather they save it to headline the first ever Africa card that they keep telling us they'll do this year.

I'm not saying his kicking game is as good as Izzy's. I'm just saying he won't be a helpless sitting duck at kicking range with izzy the way we've seen so many others like costa, vetori, romero, etc etc etc

It is a good fight, but I really would rather they save it to headline the first ever Africa card that they keep telling us they'll do this year.

Luke Thomas did a detailed breakdown of the Adesanya Costa fight.

Costa didn't just sit there like an idiot and get his leg chopped down. He got outsmarted. Adesanya used feints to get Costa to back off and then everytime he stepped back in to reset, Izzy timed it so he'd be throwing a leg kick as soon as he stepped in and put his weight on it.

It's a lot more granular, technical and detailed than a casual observer sees.

Luke Thomas did a detailed breakdown of the Adesanya Costa fight.

Costa didn't just sit there like an idiot and get his leg chopped down. He got outsmarted. Adesanya used feints to get Costa to back off and then everytime he stepped back in to reset, Izzy timed it so he'd be throwing a leg kick as soon as he stepped in and put his weight on it.

It's a lot more granular, technical and detailed than a casual observer sees.

Yes. I've seen it. I don't think it would work on DDP as well as it has on others. The constant stance switches alone from dricus would make him more difficult to execute that gameplan on, not to mention the wrestling threat. Hopefully we'll find out later in the year.

I’m surprised Shertards aren’t using MMAmath this time around and crowning DDP as the title holder til he retires.

This, good analysis and actually breaking down the styles of the fighters, everyone I see picking Izzy just seems to think that the fight will be all striking as if Izzy has the TDD and ability to pop back up that Strickland has which he doesn't and you are also correct he doesn't have a very good jab either and he doesn't like fighting at a fast pace like Strickland and DDP do. If DDP can shut down his kicking game like Strickland did, I don't see Izzy having much of a chance of keeping DDP off him.
They also incorrectly just assigned paulo costas performance as some kind of proof.totally different styles.
To have a better idea of how izzy would react then they would be better served ( still incorrectly) looking to the romero fight where izzy looked absolutely terrified any little time yoel tried to engage. Too wild, powerful and unpredictable.
Sadly for izzy, ddp will engage and he will be relentless.he will also use a full mma arsenal to provide adesanya a lot to be thinking about.
Izzy is in his element with guys plodding forward trying to traditionally kickbox him only like Costa.

Izzy does well against guys lunging in at him - look what he did to Rob :confused:

Izzy does well against guys lunging in at him - look what he did to Rob :confused:

And then look at the rematch when rob mixed Takedowns in like how DDP does. It was a much different fight, and DDP is taller and with more reach than rob -- less distance to cover.

And then look at the rematch when rob mixed Takedowns in like how DDP does. It was a much different fight, and DDP is taller and with more reach than rob -- less distance to cover.
I want to believe! 😆

Rob is pretty predictable. Even with his " lunging " he pretty much has a pre set couple of attacks and combos that he likes repeat, almost spam if you like.
It's how he got caught in the first fight with izzy and the ddp fight. Dricus weathered the early storm and then figured him out.
Dricus doesn't fight like that. You can not appreciate dricus style all you want but it's effective. It will be really dangerous against a guy who has a weak jab and a less rigid boxing defense

Didn’t Izzy blow his gyno titty?

Nvm that was Jon jones

It'll surely be more exciting than the fight against the redpilled turtle.

It's also worth noting that Costa just mentally failed against Izzy, and that's not the only time he's underperformed. I don't know if the best version of Costa could beat Izzy, but given how well someone like Gastelum (another talented/inconsistent fighter) did, I'm sure Costa could do better.

T.S. is only considering styles and MMA Math, but the the mental game is crucial. And so far, DDP's looks very good. Even when he doesn't appear to be doing well, he hangs in there and comes out of nowhere for a finish or strong ending . Izzy is 4-3 in his last 7 fights and getting older..it's hard to know what physical or mental version will show up when he fights again.

I'm not sure where anyone got teh idea that DDP's kicks were effective. Sean very handily checked teh majority of them, & took that aspect of DDP's game away from him.

Izzy's a tossup. I'm not sure he haz teh fire like he used too, and I suspect that last KO twisted his brain oop.

Adasanya beats DDP 9 out of 10 times. DDP leaves glaring openings while attacking. He will get KO/tkoed eventually.

Back