Rumored Robert Whitaker Had Ankle Injury Going Into DDP Fight (according to Askren)

Wormwood

Rest in Peace BWR
@Black
Reaction score
I posted this in the Whitaker vs Costa thread, but thought some of you Whitaker fans might want to know:

Asken was in Australia giving wrestling seminars, and a couple guys told him Whitaker injured his ankle prior to the Dricus fight. Askren said he heard it was bad enough Whitaker thought about pulling out, but decided not to since he pulled out of a few fights. Apparently the injury was bad enough to hinder his training. Not sure if true, or if it made a difference in the outcome of the fight, but if true, not a peep about it from Robert. If true, props to Rob for not doing the old “I don’t want to make any excuses but…”. Hope Robert gets back in the win column… always comes off as a solid guy.

*starts at about 5:30

Last edited:
Rob didn't have a bad performance. He blitzed, moved around no issues and even secured takedowns. He also landed on DDP quite a few times. DDP even tanked a few oblique kicks. I think the issue was that DDP confused Whittaker with the constant stance switch even when guarding. Whittaker couldn't blitz when DDP does that and DDP also blitzes as a counter too.

I posted this in the Whitaker vs Costa thread, but thought some of you Whitaker fans might want to know:

Asken was in Australia giving wrestling seminars, and a couple guys told him Whitaker injured his ankle prior to the Dricus fight. Askren said he heard it was bad enough Whitaker thought about pulling out, but decided not to since he pulled out of a few fights. Apparently the injury was bad enough to hinder his training. Not sure if true, or if it made a difference in the outcome of the fight, but if true, not a peep about it from Robert. If true, props to Rob for not doing the old “I don’t want to make any excuses but…”. Hope Robert gets back in the win column… always comes off as a solid guy.

Most fighters are injured in some way or other on fight night.

Most fighters are injured in some way or other on fight night.
Yeah, I’d be more surprised if a fighter wasn’t injured going into a fight… I guess it’s more an issue of how bad the injury is as opposed to if there is an injury.

Whittaker himself didn't say it. If he was injured, respect for zero excuses and the props he gave DDP after the loss. That's how you handle defeat like a man. If others want to make excuses for him off of second hand information, so be it.

Heh, the same thing was said about DDP right after the fight happened.

I wouldn't be surprised, Whittaker would never make the excuse and fighters are always injured going into fights.

Now did it affect him during the fight? Who knows, maybe, let's see how he looks next time out.

Whittaker's blitzes and kick setups got negated by a high guard and backstepping. Whittaker visibly tired after DDP pushed the pace. Rob always tries to enforce a slower casual pace where he can sit back and dart his jabs, so it took him out of comfort zone. On top of DDP having a powerful long jab of his own of course.

Whittaker reportedly had his dick twisted hours before the fight with Du Plessis, Brett Okamoto reports.

Yeah bud. 2X national champion and competed in the Olympics. I would opine that he has a vast knowledge of wrestling.
Yeah but this is Australia, not the US
There are 2 main wrestling styles, 6 weight classes => 12 world champions each year => 12 Olympic champions, 36 medalists, and 48 world championships every 4 years
Askren was 7th in the 2008 Olympics and never competed in the World Championships, it is not like he is some American Saitiev

Back