Rumored Robert Whitaker Had Ankle Injury Going Into DDP Fight (according to Askren)

Whittaker was winning the 1st round until the final minute, and was winning the 2nd until DDP clipped him yet people act as if Whittaker had nothing for him.

I wouldn't mind a rematch sometime in the future.

Yeah but this is Australia, not the US
There are 2 main wrestling styles, 6 weight classes => 12 world champions each year => 12 Olympic champions, 36 medalists, and 48 world championships every 4 years
Askren was 7th in the 2008 Olympics and never competed in the World Championships, it is not like he is some American Saitiev
How many better guys are out there giving seminars,? Oh god, he was only 7th in the world and runs a high level wrestling academy? Get that bum outta here. He obviously has nothing of value to show some HS wrestler.

Maybe, but dricus went in with an injured foot. So, it's kind of evens it out
w=500

Yeah but this is Australia, not the US
There are 2 main wrestling styles, 6 weight classes => 12 world champions each year => 12 Olympic champions, 36 medalists, and 48 world championships every 4 years
Askren was 7th in the 2008 Olympics and never competed in the World Championships, it is not like he is some American Saitiev

you speak as if he’s some bum that just rolled off the couch covered in Cheeto dust. Askren was an elite wrestler.

Adesanya had him shook, and he wanted more than 2 months

timestamp

Did you even listen to him?: "With all the adrenaline right now, I'm not sure if I have injuries.....I just had camp, with lots of little niggles, nothing serious, I HOPE it isn't serious"

Then he went and got medicals and realized the little niggles became worse in the fight, and he didn't notice it so much because of adrenaline. It happens all the time.

Whittaker was winning the 1st round until the final minute, and was winning the 2nd until DDP clipped him yet people act as if Whittaker had nothing for him.

This is taking "he was losing until he won" to a whole new level. Now it's "he was losing each round until he won each round".

Why you always so critical of the guy?

Rob didn't have a bad performance. He blitzed, moved around no issues and even secured takedowns. He also landed on DDP quite a few times. DDP even tanked a few oblique kicks. I think the issue was that DDP confused Whittaker with the constant stance switch even when guarding. Whittaker couldn't blitz when DDP does that and DDP also blitzes as a counter too.

Exactly, well said.

Rob looked like himself - bouncy stance and blitzing, just doing the standard fare. He did not appear at all compromised and looked in great shape.

"Unorthodox" gets thrown around a lot in MMA but DDP is legitimately an oddball style wise. He's awkward with funky timing and as you said constant stance switches. He looks frequently out of position but its also hard to argue with success - dude has a chin and legit power, makes it all work for him.

Rob didn't have a bad performance. He blitzed, moved around no issues and even secured takedowns. He also landed on DDP quite a few times. DDP even tanked a few oblique kicks. I think the issue was that DDP confused Whittaker with the constant stance switch even when guarding. Whittaker couldn't blitz when DDP does that and DDP also blitzes as a counter too.

that was an amazing fight, Rob is definitely quicker, but DDP was crafty as hell, sometimes rob would attack him, and DDP would block and recover in a switched stance. Sometimes you can sense rob was going to attack and DDP switches stances. I didnt even notice these subtle differences the first time watching, because much of it was done during the fight transitions. Constant forward pressure doesnt help either.

DDP is much better than I thought, his ability to fight switching stances, and power, makes up for his lack of speed.

Did you even listen to him?: "With all the adrenaline right now, I'm not sure if I have injuries.....I just had camp, with lots of little niggles, nothing serious, I HOPE it isn't serious"

Then he went and got medicals and realized the little niggles became worse in the fight, and he didn't notice it so much because of adrenaline. It happens all the time.
"Niggles, nothing serious", yet you say DDP's mysterious injury evens it out despite Askren saying he heard Whittaker was dealing with SERIOUS injuries from multiple sources.

Pretty sure every fighter who's ever went through a training camp ends up with "niggles"

This is taking "he was losing until he won" to a whole new level. Now it's "he was losing each round until he won each round".
My post finishes with: "yet people act as if Whittaker had nothing for him."

yes, his injured ankle allowed Dricus to time his entries and beat the fuck out of him when he tried to exit.

i mean, he didn't have anything for him. maybe he was winning the rds, but he was doing zero damage and you could tell DDP was timing his entries.

I can’t understand how DDP keeps winning when technically he looks like garbage out there. He’s got an X factor tho when it comes to fighting and no one has figured him out yet.

Same I just watched the fight vid posted in the thread here and it's really nothing like people make it out to be. Whittaker honestly kind of pieced him up in the 1st round dare I say. Props for Dricus on the win but that wasn't some whitewash.

That's been typical of DDP, too. I'm not sure who will win between he and Strickland, but I don't get this "DDP is too big, mighty and dominant and will have to find competition at LHW" stuff. Till also put up a good fight with him IIRC.

While DDP's style is very different than prime Ferguson, they're similar in the way they start slow and eventually find a way to finish opponents. Tony-RDA was an exception as he beat another very good LHW over 5 rounds. But a lot of his fights like Kevin Lee, Pettis, etc. started off shaky until he got a finish.

Sean is a tough dude who can go a solid 5 rounds with a high output (almost like the prime Diaz bros) and has only been KO'd by a huge former kickboxer. He seems like a tough test for DDP if he trains properly and doesn't get emotional.

"Unorthodox" gets thrown around a lot in MMA but DDP is legitimately an oddball style wise. He's awkward with funky timing and as you said constant stance switches. He looks frequently out of position but its also hard to argue with success - dude has a chin and legit power, makes it all work for him.

Almost like Keith Jardine with a better chin/defense and a bit more power (though Jardine knocked the stuffing out of Forrest).

Back