Rumored Robert Whitaker Had Ankle Injury Going Into DDP Fight (according to Askren)

I can’t understand how DDP keeps winning when technically he looks like garbage out there. He’s got an X factor tho when it comes to fighting and no one has figured him out yet.
It's karate kickboxing from his region. If you look at South African kickboxing on youtube. Some schools have styles that resembles the way he fights. It's more chaotic as opposed to that bladed long stance we see that Wonderboy uses. They throw many strikes and it's almost never with their feet planted properly. For example they throw a left high kick and will come over with the right hand even before they can reset their feet from the kick.

What if someone is injured often. What bout Tills knee in his last few fights. What bout Weidman. What bout all CCs surgeries. Does it mean anything if he showed up.

Whitaker darting in and out as usual. Dricus was just able t9 time the darting.

Whittaker was winning the 1st round until the final minute, and was winning the 2nd until DDP clipped him yet people act as if Whittaker had nothing for him.

I wouldn't mind a rematch sometime in the future.
After rewatching the fight I feel the same.

Not that Interesting. Nagging injuries is normal for fighters.

It's almost like injuries rarely happen in MMA so when it does it's a legitimate excuse !

Behind every loss, is an undisclosed injury. The further time goes on, the more OK it is to disclose it. Nothing wrong with Whittaker saying this now. But Colby saying it so soon? Borderline racist.

If you enter the cage, leave your excuses at the door (not that I’ve heard rob make any). Every fight someone can claim they had injury going into a fight they lost. Results are the only thing that matters

Whittaker himself didn't say it. If he was injured, respect for zero excuses and the props he gave DDP after the loss. That's how you handle defeat like a man. If others want to make excuses for him off of second hand information, so be it.
Whittaker is a class act through and through. It wouldn't surprise me if this was true and how we never heard a peep from Whittaker about it. Like others have mentioned, I'm assuming most fighters have some injuries and never are truly 100% going into the fight, but how many times have we seen a fighter mention the injury while saying they weren't making excuses. I'll always be a fan of the Whitt master.

I'm a Whittaker Stan but he legitmately didn't look himself in that fight.

I assume that a fighter is never 100% going into a fight but respect on Rob for not making excuses or trying to take away from DDP's win.

Rob looked particularly slow and labored but DPP is really big and really strong so not sure what the fight could have looked like

Back