Chito Vera says Sean O’Malley turned down the UFC’s offer for a rematch

I'll tell you a secret, the UFC has contracts with defined pay outs.

Like I said, O'Malley is not at a point in his career where he has popularity and leverage to negotiate his pay based on his opponent
O'Malley is at a point in his career where he's getting main card on a PPV billing despite facing unranked opponents.

IDK how many fights are left on his current deal but beating Cruz definitely does more to raise his profile than beating Chito Vera

giphy.gif

barely top 15 guy who got outclassed by the Ghost of Aldo’s Past.
Yeah so he wasn't outclassed and it was a 3 round bout. Aldo first 3 rounds against Yan were competitive too. He even won second round and dropped Petr once with a brutal legkick. He faded away in the championship rounds. Who knows if Chito wouldn't takeover in next 2 rounds similar to Yan if it would be a 5 rounder? You really don't need to downplay Chito so hard with classic "past prime, washed, ghost and shot form" of Aldo.

Because if he pulls it off he gets more notoriety and that opens the door for more sponsorships and general fame which means most viewers of his social media which can mean better monetisation of said platforms and better negotiating power/bigger match ups for one of Dana’s hype bois.

I’m not saying he’s getting Conor type money, but it’s a bigger opportunity than a fight with Chito both in name value and on paper for future match ups. Beating a former champion is better than beating a barely top 15 guy who got outclassed by the Ghost of Aldo’s Past.

With that said he’d probably get the shit kicked out of him by either, but a fading Cruz is still a winnable fight.

That’s fair. The way you wrote it I think a lot of us read it like it was a Poirier situation, in which a trilogy actually paid more direct comp than the title shot.

I am surprised people think Cruz beats O’Malley. Right now SO’s kryptonite would appear to me to be strong, robust kickers and possibly grapplers, not a fellow twinkle toes striker. SO has a lot of reach on Cruz and would likely be quicker. He also throws more straight punches and kicks, where Cruz has been trying to land awkward looping shots recently. I think Cruz would really struggle to land, not unlike the Cody fight. Even more importantly perhaps, Cruz isn’t the most physically robust himself, and I am not sure he would have it in him to spam hard leg kicks all night.

Never know though. Cruz is cerebral, and if he thinks he can develop a plan to test the calf half a dozen times I am sure he will attempt to implement it. I would favor Sean though.

O'Malley is at a point in his career where he's getting main card on a PPV billing despite facing unranked opponents.

IDK how many fights are left on his current deal but beating Cruz definitely does more to raise his profile than beating Chito Vera

...the argument isn't whether it would raise his profile by fighting and beating Cruz, it's what he would get paid. And because he's not a champion, or a star on the level of McGregor, Jones, Masvidal, he's going to get whatever his contract states.

Would he have more leverage to ask for a higher rate of pay AFTER beating Cruz and his contract expires or is near expiration? Absolutely. But he's not going to get more money to fight him than fighting Vera, because of the reasons above.

Heres Chito in Dec

Speaking to TMZ Sports, Chito Vera targeted Sean O’Malley, saying that he isn’t interested in a rematch with the latter. Vera noted that he isn’t here to make friends, and that he’s primarily focused on hurting his opponents.

But now Chito lost to Aldo and O Malley won and O Malley is gonna move on past him into bigger fights and Chito wants the rematch. Knew that was coming.

That’s fair. The way you wrote it I think a lot of us read it like it was a Poirier situation, in which a trilogy actually paid more direct comp than the title shot.

I am surprised people think Cruz beats O’Malley. Right now SO’s kryptonite would appear to me to be strong, robust kickers and possibly grapplers, not a fellow twinkle toes striker. SO has a lot of reach on Cruz and would likely be quicker. He also throws more straight punches and kicks, where Cruz has been trying to land awkward looping shots recently. I think Cruz would really struggle to land, not unlike the Cody fight. Even more importantly perhaps, Cruz isn’t the most physically robust himself, and I am not sure he would have it in him to spam hard leg kicks all night.

Never know though. Cruz is cerebral, and if he thinks he can develop a plan to test the calf half a dozen times I am sure he will attempt to implement it. I would favor Sean though.
I did write that a bit more snarky prick than I would of liked now reading it back. I’m really just saying as a career move Cruz has more lustre in my opinion because of the factors that he’s currently ranked well above both O’Malley and Chito, he’s a multiple time Bantamweight champion, he is a commentator for the UFC making him well known(or at least his voice well known) to many fans.

I am actually sorry about the way I phrased my stuff earlier again it was quite vitriolic.
Yeah so he wasn't outclassed and it was a 3 round bout. Aldo first 3 rounds against Yan were competitive too. He even won second round and dropped Petr once with a brutal legkick. He faded away in the championship rounds. Who knows if Chito wouldn't takeover in next 2 rounds similar to Yan if it would be a 5 rounder? You really don't need to downplay Chito so hard with classic "past prime, washed, ghost and shot form" of Aldo.
All of what I said applies to this comment too.

O'Malley's leg will never be teh same after that fight

Chito just lost to Aldo. OI'Malley just beat Almeida. No reason to run it back right now.

Pretty weird post from someone who should know much better.

Chito had a competitive fight with Aldo, 29-28. A fight which saw Aldo want nothing to do with the standup once Vera warmed up and got into the fight, and essentially turned into a "panic wrestler".

You then say "O Malley beat Almeida" like that actually counts for something lol. He beat a can who is shot to bolivian and shouldn't even be in the UFC. Chito's fight with Aldo was more impressive. Aldo would batter that fragile wannabe O Malley in far more one sided fashion than the Vera fight.

Vera would run through O Malley 10/10, just a much better, tougher fighter.

Why would he rematch Vera when he's mentally undefeated?

So why would Vera want to fight him again?

Because O Malley is still an undeservedly high profile fighter, and beating him again would raise his profile and quash the bullshit perpetuated by morons that the first fight was a fluke.

Plus it would be another extremely easy win.

I can't see Chito beating him in the rematch. His leg looked fine in the Almeida fight and his footwork and constant stance switching seems enough to avoid/mitigate the leg kicks. He also didn't look lost on the ground vs. Almeida, either. Perhaps, maybe, just maybe, he was actually telling the truth when he was explaining all of the reasons why he lost that fight. It's entirely possible, it's just a matter of looking at things objectively and without bias (which is difficult for some since O'Malley is such a polarizing figure).

I did write that a bit more snarky prick than I would of liked now reading it back. I’m really just saying as a career move Cruz has more lustre in my opinion because of the factors that he’s currently ranked well above both O’Malley and Chito, he’s a multiple time Bantamweight champion, he is a commentator for the UFC making him well known(or at least his voice well known) to many fans.

I am actually sorry about the way I phrased my stuff earlier again it was quite vitriolic.

All of what I said applies to this comment too.

I didn’t take the comment negatively, FWIW. Agree with the thoughts.

Back