Wrestlers Dominating the UFC...

Haha WTF?

No one denies that masses of wrestlers flocked into MMA now that they had a professional paying sport to participate in. We have threads created listing just the top Division A wrestlers and the list is massive. Heck there was a.thread on the top wrestlers who failed at MMA with the best pedigree and that list was huge.

Obviously with you not knowing who Al Bundy is you are likely a kid and that means you know nothing about the origins of MMA so don't pretend.

We still have not had any real meaningful import of top guys from the striking arts into MMA but the few guys that have come, along with heavy handed tire changers show that learning and defending a wrestling base is not any thing tougher than other aspects of MMA.
Wow such wisdom you have shared old and wise one. What is this the little rascals? Are you gonna tell me to scram or get off of your lawn in your next response? Why don't you tell me how great it was back in your day, not like these hooligans and trannys today? Or how Trump is going to make America great again?

Solid points man. Haven't heard that in the past 4 responses you've shared.

Last edited:
So to completely neutralize a guys offense and making him burn thru his energy isn't effective. Why don't they put fighters in referees position when they're running instead of fighting (talking to you Conor).
Well THE POINT IS maybe they wouldn't be in that position if they could knee or kick 'downed' opponents. Jesus christ...

And whether it's effective or not is irrelevant. You compared standups to a takedown prevention technique. Now I'm repeating myself. Typical sherdog

Wow such wisdom you have shared old and wise one. What is this the little rascals? Are you gonna tell me to scram or get off of your lawn in your next response? Why don't you tell me how great it was back in your day, not like these hooligans and trannys today? Or how Trump is going to make America great again?

Solid points man. Haven't heard that in the past 4 responses you've shared.
No i'll just clarify your bullshit that we did not get more wrestlers than strikers coming into the sport particularly in the early days.

yes, I'm laughing at you.

Well THE POINT IS maybe they wouldn't be in that position if they could knee or kick 'downed' opponents. Jesus christ...

And whether it's effective or not is irrelevant. You compared standups to a takedown prevention technique. Now I'm repeating myself. Typical sherdog

As an FYI, knees, kicks & headbutts to downed opponents were made illegal due to wrestlers ending fights too quick, so they took the more effective tools away from a wrestler.

And you lost me at:
"whether it's effective or not is irrelevant"

why bother.

It had to get sanctioned by people who didn’t understand it.
Certain compromises had to be reached.

A shame though, that 12-6 elbows get you DQ’d, but eyepokes can be effective for winning fights against elite competition.
Ah, the good 'ol 3 Stooges Technique...

The new rules surrounding 10-8 rounds also work to a wrestlers advantage.

One needs to beat their opponent into a bloody pulp, or drop them multiple times to get a 10-8 from judges standing.

However if your wrestling is strong enough to take them down, remain on top, and transition a bit and keep your opponent on their back, you get a 10-8 now.

If a fighter can get a 10-8 in the first round of a 3 round fight, or the first two rounds of a 5 rounder, then the opponent is in a position where they pretty much have to get the finish to get anything more than a draw.

Then that pushing for the finish opens them up to more takedown attempts.

No i'll just clarify your bullshit that we did not get more wrestlers than strikers coming into the sport particularly in the early days.

yes, I'm laughing at you.
I'm glad you at least find your idiocy amusing. I'm just feeling that 2nd hand embarrassment.

As an FYI, knees, kicks & headbutts to downed opponents were made illegal due to wrestlers ending fights too quick, so they took the more effective tools away from a wrestler.

And you lost me at:

why bother.
Yes when the sport was 1 dimensional. Now it's evened out a bit, so it can be used against wrestlers also, kinda like how they used to use the cage to keep people down but now people use it to get back up.
TS made a valid point about Lee surviving because of a fucking dumb rule. And I put "downed" in quotes to indicate they're not even downed i.e. Lee.
Obviously I meant "whether lay n pray is effective or not is beside the point". The point was the difference between standups and takedown defence techniques, or in this case, fight finishing technique

Edit: there's a difference between being DOWNED and deliberately sticking your head into your opponents legs while on all fours to exploit the rules

Last edited:
9ODdOz6.jpg

I do think kneeing grounded opponents should be legal though. Both strikers and grapplers can take advantage of that and would lead to more exciting fights. I fought under that rule set and I’m pretty sure I turned out okish brain damage wise (maybe, maybe not).

You never fought but it’s ok to pretend it’s cute

<JagsKiddingMe>

And you lost me at:

why bother.

Yes when the sport was 1 dimensional. Now it's evened out a bit, so it can be used against wrestlers also, kinda like how they used to use the cage to keep people down but now people use it to get back up.
TS made a valid point about Lee surviving because of a fucking dumb rule. And I put "downed" in quotes to indicate they're not even downed i.e. Lee.
Obviously I meant "whether lay n pray is effective or not is beside the point". The point was the difference between standups and takedown defence techniques, or in this case, fight finishing technique
Also, those rules were not put in place because they "ended fights" too quickly, it is because in order to be sanctioned in the US, our commissions deemed those strikes "unsafe". Wrestlers were hardly ending fights that quickly in Pride or early UFC.

Unified rules were designed to benefit wrestlers, it has never been a secret.

Yet they make many obvious concessions to people who don't want to grapple. Rounds begin standing again. Fighters on the bottom don't need to mount offense, they can simply tie up an opponent and the ref will stand it up, etc.

I think the biggest advantage to wrestlers was that top control is considered winning. Happily, that is slowly changing.

I understand your point but we just can’t have guys on the ground getting their skulls caved in by knees.

Actually we can

They just decide not to. Get these guys to sign more waivers and just bleed

No more to the judges either. If no one is knockout or choked out by end of 5th round give both of them samurai swords to the death or throw lion in there trap
Then and first one to get eaten it’s over

Give the fans what we want holy fuck it’s not hard it’s not complicated and idk they don’t go with my ideas ffs

Dead serious

Also, those rules were not put in place because they "ended fights" too quickly, it is because in order to be sanctioned in the US, our commissions deemed those strikes "unsafe". Wrestlers were hardly ending fights that quickly in Pride or early UFC.

I was referring to nhb Vale tudo in brasil, and according to the promoters that exactly why they were put in place.

You never fought but it’s ok to pretend it’s cute

<JagsKiddingMe>

Actually yes I did kid, 12 times, (8-4 overall.) See, this is why fighters never post here. Sherdog forums are complete dogshit these days with retarded keyboard warriors running around typing random shit.

https://www.mma-core.com/events/ICE_7/18244

This is event I was referring to earlier. I’m sure you can figure out who I am based on my user name.

Actually yes I did kid, 12 times, (8-4 overall.) See, this is why fighters never post here. Sherdog forums are complete dogshit these days with retarded keyboard warriors running around typing random shit.

https://www.mma-core.com/events/ICE_7/18244

This is event I was referring to earlier. I’m sure you can figure out who I am based on my user name.
Kudos to you! Always good to have a real fighter on to set us Shertards straight. We always seem to know 'what we would've done' in any situation but it is good to get a viewpoint from someone who has actually "walked the walk."

Kudos to you! Always good to have a real fighter on to set us Shertards straight. We always seem to know 'what we would've done' in any situation but it is good to get a viewpoint from someone who has actually "walked the walk."

Thanks. My age is showing, but back in the early to mid 2000s there was actually a pretty good amount of us posting here on Sherdog. But yeah I guess I can’t blame the other guy for trying to call me out, this is the internet after all and everyone is more than eager to tell you how tough they are.

If you can't wrestle you can't fight. Great true words from Tank Abbott of all people

Just knee a wrestler in the head when they telegraph their shots. Unfortunately MMA camps only work on sprawling as a defense against wrestling.

Back