Wrestlers Dominating the UFC...

It goes in cycles. It wasn't too long ago aldo, Pettis, conor, and Robbie were champs

That part I get but with no strikes to the head of a grounded opponent, you can have those "panic" shots that save them and allow them to take a break, like Lee did last night.

A4by_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif
What..? isn't that ^^^ called Ground n Pound...

Just knee a wrestler in the head when they telegraph their shots. Unfortunately MMA camps only work on sprawling as a defense against wrestling.
CM Punks fight would have ended a lot differently had he taken that approach. I just recently watched that first take down, again, and, wow, he could have really used a knee strike. Even a weak attempt could have been devastating.

I don't know why it isn't implemented more, as a tactic, but the rules against knees and kicks to the head of a grounded opponent don't help much if you miss that attempt so it makes it a little riskier.

Someone with the ability to get side control could benefit from knees but shooting for takedowns is generally much lower risk without knees and soccer kicks, this fight being the obvious example were a hurt Lee was in a position were Barboza could have been planting him with knees but was instead largely safe.

Wrestlers know the rules and play to them, there would be less lazy takedowns with those rules , yet for every lazy takedown you see there are multiple instances of a wrestler having an opponent against the cage either sitting up back to cage or side to cage with hands on the mat , knees would end fights here every time. Barboza would have already been tko due to knees before it even got to that point.

Wrestlers would be at much more of an advantage with knees and kicks to grounded opponents to say otherwise is ridiculous.
I don't understand this post at all had to paraphrase because it is emphatically nonsense now if he can hit the opponent with their knees on the floor the post would make sense

Last edited:
I don't understand this post at all had to paraphrase because it is emphatically nonsense now if I can hit the opponent with their knees on the floor it would make sense
Is English not your first language?

Wrestlers in advantageous positions to throw knees to downed opponents out weighs the unsuccessful takedown aspect by a large margin.

Wrestlers dominated pride
Wrestlers dominated Pride? You're going to make me have to look up all of the past champions....

Wrestling may very well always be the best base for MMA and the numbers of top fighters that are former wrestlers show that.

You get to dictate where the fight goes, it gives you extreme mental and physical fortitude, and it gives you a massive amount of kinesthetic awareness.

BJJ and Striking arts are very necessary to the sport as well, however, someone coming from a wrestling background will almost always learn those skills rapidly faster than an untrained person would.
I dont agree, a striker can pour his focus into one area of wrestling and become a good fighter, tdd.

The fact mma doesnt get the same level of strikers then it does wrestlers doesnt help the numbers.

I dont agree, a striker can pour his focus into one area of wrestling and become a good fighter, tdd.

The fact mma doesnt get the same level of strikers then it does wrestlers doesnt help the numbers.
I'm not saying that strikers can't be great fighters, see Anderson Silvia, Lyoto Machida, Stephen Thompson etc.

Just that generally speaking, guys who come from high level wrestling do extremely well.

I've seen a lot of "MMA has evolved" comments in regards to fighters and the sport and it seems that the wrestlers always have the advantage.

Watching Lee vs Barboza last night highlights an "evolutionary point" in regards to MMA... removing strikes to the head of a grounded opponent has probably been the single most powerful "tool" for the wrestler in the UFC. Barboza spin kicks Lee's head (almost into Bolivia) and Lee shoots for a failed take down. If the grounded strikes were still allowed, it would have been an easy finish for Barboza. Wrestlers can take advantage of this rule by shooting for take downs, no matter how weak and never put themselves in position to pay for those shots. In how many fights have we seen that same attempt end the same way?

With ground strikes allowed, I don't think that wrestlers would be shooting in as much without being confident in the take down for fear of paying with their skull. Bringing back the strikes may or may not be dangerous for the fighters but I think it would put an end to a lot of the "lay-n-pray" fights that we see all too much.

Edit: Courtesy of @MikeMcMann
Edit: Second edit to reflect "knees/kicks" added to help @Readybodisready understand this complex subject
Hi, what do you mean by grounded strikes arent allowed? Do you mean the opponent on his back cant throw strikes at all? Thanks in advance.

Wrestlers in advantageous positions to throw knees to downed opponents out weighs the unsuccessful takedown aspect by a large margin.

Wrestlers dominated pride

Wrestlers dominated Pride?

Fedor, Nog, Crocop, Wanderlei, Shogun, Henderson and Gomi dominated Pride.

Only Henderson and Gomi (and he was a boxer before a wrestler) were wrestlers.

Sorry but fighting is wrestling. It’s clearly the most nerfed, no headbutts, no kicks or knees to the head of a grounded opponent, no strikes to back of the head, no downward elbows, all these things being allowed would favour the wrestler.

Then you have things like gloves and wraps and then eye pokes/gouging being banned. Allowing any of these would also favour the wrestler. (Who doesn’t need gloves and who could use those banned moves with abandon from dominant positions).

In real life once a wrestler has you pinned he can rip your throat out with his teeth (which is what the pin signifies in Ancient Greek wrestling, the control required to rip the throat out of a downed armoured opponent. A bronze breastplate will eat any strike, yet is of no aid against a wrestler...)

Last edited:
Hi, what do you mean by grounded strikes arent allowed? Do you mean the opponent on his back cant throw strikes at all? Thanks in advance.
Knee strikes and kicks to the head or strikes to the back of the head is what I meant. I thought I clarified that in the edit.

Sorry but fighting is wrestling. It’s clearly the most nerfed, no headbutts, no kicks or knees to the head of a grounded opponent, no strikes to back of the head, no downward elbows, all these things being allowed would favour the wrestler.

Then you have things like gloves and wraps and then eye pokes/gouging being banned. Allowing any of these would also favour the wrestler. (Who doesn’t need gloves and who could use those banned moves with abandon from dominant positions).

In real life once a wrestler has you pinned he can rip your throat out with his teeth (which is what the pin signifies in Ancient Greek wrestling, the control required to rip the throat out of a downed armoured opponent. A bronze breastplate will eat any strike, yet is of no aid against a wrestler...)
Alright, eating throats aside, the current MMA rules favor wrestlers. Pretty simple.

Wrestlers would be at much more of an advantage with knees and kicks to grounded opponents to say otherwise is ridiculous.
"bury your head in your opponent's crotch" aka Panic Wrestling is a viable tactic in UFC mma

Wrestling as always been the great equalizer in mma, and mma wrestling is evolving into a whole different beast with wrestlers developing a striking game and now adopting jiu jitsu morphing wrestling look at times...
Preach!!!

Back