Wrestlers Dominating the UFC...

TS should follow another sport. TS doesn't even realize that you can in fact strike a downed opponent. TS will probably try to save his own ass by changing it to "I meant knees and kicks to downed opponents".

Highschool wrestler detected who thinks he is still Al Bundy reliving his glory years. Lot of BS addressed below.

You don't have proof of that at all.

to demonstrate that you have to show that equal numbers of of other arts, with athlete in their prime entered MMA and yet Wrestling still dominated and that is not the fact.

Wrestlers, not having a pro athletics outlet flocked into this sport in massive numbers. MASSIVE. So you would expect they have significant representation in the top ranks just percentage wise.

This is false. You may or may not get to dictate and then depends on how good the wrestler is versus how good the opponent is. Sherk did not dictate to Penn amongst many others I can point to if you want. And you providing examples of when a wrestler does dictate just makes my point. It is athlete and skill level based.

Other arts and the top athletes in those arts have these same things dude.
lol. What proof do you have of that? Look how few top strikers in their prime have entered the sport and yet what a high percentage have done well simply by learning decent tdd and some bjj defense. Now imagine if from the top ranks of all strikers you got the numbers coming over like wresting did? There is no reason to believe top strikers would not dominate the sport every bit as much as wrestlers did or more.

First of all, I wrestled starting in middle school and wrestled all the way through college. It was D3, so not of the highest level, but still pretty fucking high, and I currently compete in no gi BJJ.
No need to be a dick. You sound like one of the blue belts in BJJ who got #rekt by a bunch of wrestlers over the years on their first day in class.

Now for the arguement, 6 of the current champs right now have wrestling backgrounds, almost all of the top 3 in each division are former wrestlers, and historically most of the champs in UFC history have a wrestling base, and by that I mean the first marital art they learned was wrestling.

I'm not going to take the time to go and pull up some numbers for you, you can do that yourself, but if you just take the time and remember some of the best fighters in history they likely started out wrestling.

As far as dictating where the fight goes, you can cherry pick, but generally speaking wrestling helps you dictate the level of the fight, ie. Dillishaw vs Lineker, Cormier vs Hendo, Jones vs Bonnar, Couture vs Sylvia, Hughes vs Sherk, Stipe vs Ngannou.
The list goes on.

As far as wrestlers learning other martial arts at a faster rate, I have nothing quantifiable for you, however, you ask just about ANY BJJ school coaches and they will almost universally tell you that wrestlers are the most adaptable and kinesthetically aware.
That's why we have guys like Couture and DC getting into the sport super late into their lives and still being able to be highly competitive.

TLDR:
You are butthurt because you likely started out as a striker or as a BJJ guy, which is great, but don't like the fact that your sport isn't the best starting base for MMA. You are wrong, but that's cool. Use the salt on your fries.

<Goldie11>

Last edited:
l think if a guy claims to be a wrestler you shouldn't be able to punch him even when standing.
Knees on takedown, mount, taking the back, grabbing a choke..... there is all kinds of defending the TD. Grow a set and learn to deal with it. Better yet go watch kickboxing or boxing. This sport doesn't suit
You're throwing too many big words at me and because I don't understand them, I'm gonna take them as "disrespect". This isn't as if MMA has always had one set of rules and I am trying to change them, this is MMA rules changing to favor a certain type of fighter.

TS should follow another sport. TS doesn't even realize that you can in fact strike a downed opponent. TS will probably try to save his own ass by changing it to "I meant knees and kicks to downed opponents".
Moron, that's what I am referring to. However, for the dense ones like you, I WILL adjust it.

It still forces you to "accommodate" the "shot" fighter. If he puts himself into a trouble position, it should be a "fuck him" attitude, not reward him for turtling.
I understand your point, but back of the head as a foul has been around for a long time and for fighter safety. I think soccer kicks to the head of downed fighter is very dangerous. I would be inclined to allow knee strikes in wrestling positions since by definition the fight is at close quarters and the knee would be quick and effective defensive/offensive weapon.

Looping punches to the side of the head (temple, ear, jaw, etc.), elbow to the neck/shoulder area and chokes were available to Barboza. I think Barboza was worn out from the damage he took and from being on bottom. Despite being rocked, Lee was able to win the scramble and secured position on Barboza. I like Barboza, but this was a very one sided fight with the exception of the one wheel kick that landed.

I think Barboza did look dangerous when the fight was standing beyond that kick, landed a few other good ones that could have caused Lee problems.

I would add as well I think Barboza does get a little overrated as a striker, yeah he's a very dangerous kicker but his boxing isn't nearly as good, he's not close to someone like say Crocop in that reguard.

9ODdOz6.jpg
15yzzhy.jpg

You were saying? ;)

Moron, that's what I am referring to. However, for the dense ones like you, I WILL adjust it.

So you just did exactly what I said you were gonna do, proving me right about you being more full of shit than a christmas turkey.

Get back to square one, newbie. Learn about the basic ruleset of MMA and then come back here. Untill then your license to make threads is revoked.

Those are completely different. Standups etc happen after a certain amount of time if the grappler isn't effective. He's talking about something that could help stop them getting takedowns in the first place. Great job!

So to completely neutralize a guys offense and making him burn thru his energy isn't effective. Why don't they put fighters in referees position when they're running instead of fighting (talking to you Conor).

First of all, I wrestled starting in middle school and wrestled all the way through college. It was D3, so not of the highest level, but still pretty fucking high. No need to be a dick. You sound like one of the blue belts in BJJ who got #rekt by a bunch of wrestlers over the years on their first day in class.

Now for the arguement, 6 of the current champs right now have wrestling backgrounds, almost all of the top 3 in each division are former wrestlers, and historically most of the champs in UFC history have a wrestling base, and by that I mean the first marital art they learned was wrestling.

I'm not going to take the time to go and pull up some numbers for you, you can do that yourself, but if you just take the time and remember some of the best fighters in history they likely started out wrestling.

As far as dictating where the fight goes, you can cherry pick, but generally speaking wrestling helps you dictate the level of the fight, ie. Dillishaw vs Lineker, Cormier vs Hendo, Jones vs Bonnar, Couture vs Sylvia, Hughes vs Sherk, Stipe vs Ngannou.
The list goes on.

As far as wrestlers learning other martial arts at a faster rate, I have nothing quantifiable for you, however, you ask just about ANY BJJ school coaches and they will almost universally tell you that wrestlers are the most adaptable and kinesthetically aware.
That's why we have guys like Couture and DC getting into the sport super late into their lives and still being able to be highly competitive.

TLDR:
You are butthurt because you likely started out as a striker or as a BJJ guy, which is great, but don't like the fact that your sport isn't the best starting base for MMA. You are wrong, but that's cool. Use the salt on your fries.

<Goldie11>
Again, I don't like that the sport has become this way but you have to admit that, originally, MMA did NOT FAVOR wrestlers. It does now, as the rules of have changed.

So you just did exactly what I said you were gonna do, proving me right about you being more full of shit than a christmas turkey.

Get back to square one, newbie. Learn about the basic ruleset of MMA and then come back here. Untill then your license to make threads is revoked.
You are a moron.

9ODdOz6.jpg

I do think kneeing grounded opponents should be legal though. Both strikers and grapplers can take advantage of that and would lead to more exciting fights. I fought under that rule set and I’m pretty sure I turned out okish brain damage wise (maybe, maybe not).

Agree, but the legal mumbo jumbo involved in getting that done, with dozens of athletic commissions involved, would be a pain in the ass.
NY would most certainly shoot down such rule changes.

If you want to MMA you have to know how to wrestle. Being able to knee someone in the head isnt going to do any good if you can't sprawl anyway.

Just be like Bobby Knuckles. He's a great wrestler who strikes foremost and just beat the two best wrestlers in his division.

Again, as someone who actually fought under this rule set I disagree. If they are taking damage they are in a shit position to begin with, and if they are taking too much the ref should stop it. I’ve only seen a couple fights ended this way, and one was by Jeremy Horn when he was kneeing his opponents body (which is legal under current rule set anyway)

Edit match was Horn vs Ron Fields. I got fucking gullotined that event by a (later revealed to be) animal abusing shitbag after kicking him around the first round. Good times. :(
I guess he was to Swift

Again, I don't like that the sport has become this way but you have to admit that, originally, MMA did NOT FAVOR wrestlers. It does now, as the rules of have changed.
Nah man, it's quite the opposite. The rules heavily favor strikers.
Every round starts standing even if you were mounted the entire round before, there's stand ups all the time, no headbutts or knees to the head from top allowed etc.

First of all, I wrestled starting in middle school and wrestled all the way through college. It was D3, so not of the highest level, but still pretty fucking high. No need to be a dick. You sound like one of the blue belts in BJJ who got #rekt by a bunch of wrestlers over the years on their first day in class.

The list goes on.

TLDR:

<Goldie11>
With Colby Covington strong Division 1 All American wrestling background he will destroy RDA also he will destroy khabib

Who beat Severn before they started changing the rules to accommodate wrestlers? It was a little bitty guy, if I remember correctly. A couple of rule changes later and that little bitty guy would never even stand a chance.

Who beat Severn before they started changing the rules to accommodate wrestlers? It was a little bitty guy, if I remember correctly. A couple of rule changes later and that little bitty guy would never even stand a chance.
Severn was humping him for 15 min before getting the triangle slapped on , what could have been different ?

Back