Wrestlers Dominating the UFC...

LOL 99% of rules are so wrestlers dont win every fight. If GSP was allowed knees to head, real elbows. head butts and so on he'da finish every fight. Instead a wrestler has to basically lay in guard. BJJ guys and Strikers would have zero chance once a wrestler got them down so rules are made to give them a fighting chance.

Lesnar + headbutts

that's because those are the current rules that allow them to do this. you realize in pro sports people will take advantage of every rule they can to try and win right?
i do realize this, and thus certain rules should be changed as is the topic of this thread. For one, some 12-6 down elbows to the back would be pretty sweet against the panic wrestler.

LOL 99% of rules are so wrestlers dont win every fight. If GSP was allowed knees to head, real elbows. head butts and so on he'da finish every fight. Instead a wrestler has to basically lay in guard. BJJ guys and Strikers would have zero chance once a wrestler got them down so rules are made to give them a fighting chance.
You mean like when there were literally no rules to the game and Severn wiped the floor with Gracie? Or do you mean like in Pride where wrestlers dominated? Wait, that didn't really happen, now, did it?

No knees to the grounded opponent
No punches to the back of the head when the wrestler tries to take you down.
No grabbing the cage allowed yet wrestlers can utilize the cage to create leverage lmao.
No strikes to back of head, spine etc when the wrestler is in a vulnerable situation
Downed opponent my arse.
Fucking bullshit rules. Thats the only reason why we dont see many non american champions.

A striker can only attack the front of the body. When you grapple though, you can attack and come at opponent from behind. That is the real advantage in grappling your opponent. You always have safe spot from which to attack from. Strikers always have to be in the danger zone to attack.

Wrestling may very well always be the best base for MMA and the numbers of top fighters that are former wrestlers show that.

You get to dictate where the fight goes, it gives you extreme mental and physical fortitude, and it gives you a massive amount of kinesthetic awareness.

BJJ and Striking arts are very necessary to the sport as well, however, someone coming from a wrestling background will almost always learn those skills rapidly faster than an untrained person would.

takedowns, and ground control/pinning are much more intrinsic than striking and have greater margin for error than submissions.

A striker can only attack the front of the body. When you grapple though, you can attack and come at opponent from behind. That is the real advantage in grappling your opponent. You always have safe spot from which to attack from. Strikers always have to be in the danger zone to attack.
I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not but, per the rules, strikers can only attack from the front or the side. This is where the rules benefit the wrestler.

Wrestling doesn't finish fights. That's why UFC will never be a big sport.

Yup, and also head-butts like back in the old days.
In a fight with a giant wrestler and a small, skinny Jiu Jitsu guy with ALL of these tactics allowed.... groin shots were legal, for crying out loud... the Jiu Jitsu guy won. There were no "stand-ups" to pull the wrestler out of trouble and allow another shot for a takedown, there were no time limits to allow for the wrestler to get a breather, he could head butt, 12-6 elbow, kick him in the balls and spike him on his head but he couldn't. Why? Because he, too, would have to defend against these attacks while implementing his fighting style.

Edit: I agree that if you throw a solid wrestler in with some "random" up and comer that things could get ugly really fast but wtih the elite of the elite, the wrestler will not dominate.

Back