Wrestlers Dominating the UFC...

TrueFightFan

Fight Purist
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of "MMA has evolved" comments in regards to fighters and the sport and it seems that the wrestlers always have the advantage.

Watching Lee vs Barboza last night highlights an "evolutionary point" in regards to MMA... removing strikes (knees, kicks and strikes to the back of the head) to the head of a grounded opponent has probably been the single most powerful "tool" for the wrestler in the UFC. Barboza spin kicks Lee's head (almost into Bolivia) and Lee shoots for a failed take down. If the grounded strikes were still allowed, it would have been an easy finish for Barboza. Wrestlers can take advantage of this rule by shooting for take downs, no matter how weak and never put themselves in position to pay for those shots. In how many fights have we seen that same attempt end the same way?

With ground strikes allowed, I don't think that wrestlers would be shooting in as much without being confident in the take down for fear of paying with their skull. Bringing back the strikes may or may not be dangerous for the fighters but I think it would put an end to a lot of the "lay-n-pray" fights that we see all too much.

Edit: Courtesy of @MikeMcMann
Edit: Second edit to reflect "knees/kicks" added to help @Readybodisready understand this complex subject

Last edited:
Wrestling is the best martial arts, we can stop doing MMA fights.

9ODdOz6.jpg

I do think kneeing grounded opponents should be legal though. Both strikers and grapplers can take advantage of that and would lead to more exciting fights. I fought under that rule set and I’m pretty sure I turned out okish brain damage wise (maybe, maybe not).

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of "MMA has evolved" comments in regards to fighters and the sport and it seems that the wrestlers always have the advantage. Watching Lee vs Barboza last night highlights an "evolutionary point" in regards to MMA... removing strikes to the head of a grounded opponent has probably been the single most powerful "tool" for the wrestler in the UFC. Barboza spin kicks Lee's head (almost into Bolivia) and Lee shoots for a failed take down. If the grounded strikes were still allowed, it would have been an easy finish for Barboza. Wrestlers can take advantage of this rule by shooting for take downs, no matter how weak and never put themselves in position to pay for those shots. In how many fights have we seen that same attempt end the same way? With ground strikes allowed, I don't think that wrestlers would be shooting in as much without being confident in the take down for fear of paying with their skull. Bringing back the strikes may or may not be dangerous for the fighters but I think it would put an end to a lot of the "lay-n-pray" fights that we see all too much.
image.jpg

I understand your point but we just can’t have guys on the ground getting their skulls caved in by knees.

The existence of standups, clinch breaks, being stood up when rounds end on the ground, and gloves favors strikers.

If none of those were in the rules Gay Hugging would be dominant!

Wrestling as always been the great equalizer in mma, and mma wrestling is evolving into a whole different beast with wrestlers developing a striking game and now adopting jiu jitsu morphing wrestling look at times...

I understand your point but we just can’t have guys on the ground getting their skulls caved in by knees.

Again, as someone who actually fought under this rule set I disagree. If they are taking damage they are in a shit position to begin with, and if they are taking too much the ref should stop it. I’ve only seen a couple fights ended this way, and one was by Jeremy Horn when he was kneeing his opponents body (which is legal under current rule set anyway)

Edit match was Horn vs Ron Fields. I got fucking gullotined that event by a (later revealed to be) animal abusing shitbag after kicking him around the first round. Good times. :(

Last edited:
Certainly I think with knees on the ground Barboza might well have finished Lee.

It seems like every few years a certain type of style seems to dominate MMA

Wrestlers would be at much more of an advantage with knees and kicks to grounded opponents to say otherwise is ridiculous.

The existence of standups, clinch breaks, being stood up when rounds end on the ground, and gloves favors strikers.

If none of those were in the rules Gay Hugging would be dominant!
Those are completely different. Standups etc happen after a certain amount of time if the grappler isn't effective. He's talking about something that could help stop them getting takedowns in the first place. Great job!

No knees to the grounded opponent
No punches to the back of the head when the wrestler tries to take you down.
No grabbing the cage allowed yet wrestlers can utilize the cage to create leverage lmao.
No strikes to back of head, spine etc when the wrestler is in a vulnerable situation
Downed opponent my arse.
Fucking bullshit rules. Thats the only reason why we dont see many non american champions.

Unified rules were designed to benefit wrestlers, it has never been a secret.

The worst is back of the head strikes being banned. Watching the Lee/Barboza fight, I notice how fighters game the system by burying their head for takedowns so the striker can only hit the back of the head. If there were no limits for strikes, Lee would have had to hit the takedown right away. Barboza could have finished the fight if there were no rules. Barboza was forced to wait to get in a position for legal strikes rather than finish the fight right there.

Wrestlers would be at much more of an advantage with knees and kicks to grounded opponents to say otherwise is ridiculous.

Someone with the ability to get side control could benefit from knees but shooting for takedowns is generally much lower risk without knees and soccer kicks, this fight being the obvious example were a hurt Lee was in a position were Barboza could have been planting him with knees but was instead largely safe.

Last edited:
Back