Tom Aspinall Calls for Jon Jones to be Stripped: "I Should be the Real Champion."

Substance Abuse

The Best is Blessed Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
newFile.jpg

Tom Aspinall is not happy with the way the UFC heavyweight division is being managed.

Aspinall strongly thinks Jon Jones should’ve been stripped of his UFC heavyweight title, as he recovers from a pectoral tear, and his 69-second knockout of Sergei Pavlovich this past Saturday at UFC 295 in New York should’ve been for the vacant belt.

Instead, Aspinall (14-3 MMA, 7-1 UFC) fought for and won the interim belt by knocking out Pavlovich. Instead of a unification bout next, the UFC is planning on Jones having defend his belt against Stipe Miocic in 2024.

Aspinall doesn’t think this is how things should play out, and is calling for the promotion to strip Jones (27-1 MMA, 21-1 UFC) from the belt.

“I think Jon Jones should be stripped from the title to be honest, because everyone else does when they get injured like that,” Aspinall told Michael Bisping. “I don’t see why he’s still got it. I don’t understand that. I think I should be the real champion right now.

“It’s hard to say without sounding rude, but who’s asked about Jon Jones and Stipe anymore? Why do we get this legacy fight, and they get to live by their own rules? What’s a legacy fight, a retirement fight for a title? I want to fight Stipe and then I want to fight Jon Jones. … I think all this other stuff is rubbish. Stop protecting him now. Stop protecting your boy Jon Jones at the top. If he’s injured, get out of the way and I’ll fight Stipe.”

Jones vs. Miocic was supposed to go down in the main event of UFC 295. However, due to Jones’ injury, the fight was cancelled with hopes of rebooking it in a later date. That’s when the promotion booked a last-minute bout between Aspinall and Pavlovich for the interim belt.

Miocic claims the UFC never gave him the option to fight for the interim title.

Aspinall thinks the right solution to this situation is for him to defend his belt against Miocic, and if successful, then welcome Jones back to competition. The Brit thinks there’s no interest from the fan base in a Jones vs. Miocic fight.

“That fight is completely dead in the water now,” Aspinall said. “You have a new champion at the weight, which is me. You got Stipe, who by the time Jon Jones comes back will have fought once in four years, and he’s 42 years old, and he’s got one fight where he got knocked out, and now he’s going to fight Jones, who’s coming off a big injury and again had one fight in three years.

“Again, who’s going to be bothered by that fight in a years time? Let’s move on. I’m the champion now. I’ll fight Stipe, he’s available. Me and Stipe will fight, and then when I beat Stipe, I’ll fight Jon Jones.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023...ones-stripped-heavyweight-title-real-champion

View attachment 1011915

Tom Aspinall is not happy with the way the UFC heavyweight division is being managed.

Aspinall strongly thinks Jon Jones should’ve been stripped of his UFC heavyweight title, as he recovers from a pectoral tear, and his 69-second knockout of Sergei Pavlovich this past Saturday at UFC 295 in New York should’ve been for the vacant belt.

Instead, Aspinall (14-3 MMA, 7-1 UFC) fought for and won the interim belt by knocking out Pavlovich. Instead of a unification bout next, the UFC is planning on Jones having defend his belt against Stipe Miocic in 2024.

Aspinall doesn’t think this is how things should play out, and is calling for the promotion to strip Jones (27-1 MMA, 21-1 UFC) from the belt.

Jones vs. Miocic was supposed to go down in the main event of UFC 295. However, due to Jones’ injury, the fight was cancelled with hopes of rebooking it in a later date. That’s when the promotion booked a last-minute bout between Aspinall and Pavlovich for the interim belt.

Miocic claims the UFC never gave him the option to fight for the interim title.

Aspinall thinks the right solution to this situation is for him to defend his belt against Miocic, and if successful, then welcome Jones back to competition. The Brit thinks there’s no interest from the fan base in a Jones vs. Miocic fight.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023...ones-stripped-heavyweight-title-real-champion

100% this is the right way to manage this situation. You can build up Aspinall with a win over Stipe or we actually have some hype behind the Jones/ Stipe fight if he comes back.

It's a win/win for the UFC as they originally had a battle of 2 guys wanting to retire. Now you have a young champ who wants to fight and will stick around if he keeps winning.

Well, he did tool someone that neither Jones nor Stipe would fight and did it in Pav's world- the stand up. Hopefully it won't take forever for the situation to clear up, I could see why it would feel unfair.

Jon paper champ who wants to end his career with a legacy fight, not fight the actual current best heavyweight on the entire roster. Wish that would simply get called out. UFC would probably be upset about that, but anyone with a brain with more than two working cells can see that much.

I completely hear what Tom is saying and he has an overall good point. However, to dismiss the significance of Jon vs Stipe (the GOAT UFC HW vs the LHW/MMA GOAT) is extremely premature to me. Ofc they get to live by their own rules given how much they've accomplished in the sport.

If Aspinall really wants to establish himself as a legit champ, he should just defend the title against Gane or a Blaydes rematch.

The older I get the more I realize the MMA fanbase, despite shitting on pro wrestling for eternity, is really no different from their wrasslin counterparts lol.
Its because both are interlinked forever,and both are promoted the same way.

im still waiting though. its always lols.

i wonder how jon helped put out the fire in notre dame in 2019.

only @Davidjacksonjones can tell us.

It is quite simple how he did such heroic acts like putting out the fire in notre dame, or saving a cat from a burning building. Jones was raised by a pastor with strong Christian values, and traits like empathy and compassion have been engrained into his brain since an early age.

When Jones saw the Notre Dame in fire, his first instinct was "save the innocent people at all costs and protect the sacred building at all costs". Not once did he think to himelf "hey this is dangerous, i might get injured or burned alive". Its his kindness, and ability to empathise with others, that gives him the courage to carry out such heroic acts

1700382145104.png

i am in agreeance

It is quite simple how he did such heroic acts like putting out the fire in notre dame, or saving a cat from a burning building. Jones was raised by a pastor with strong Christian values, and traits like empathy and compassion have been engrained into his brain since an early age.

When Jones saw the Notre Dame in fire, his first instinct was "save the innocent people at all costs and protect the sacred building at all costs". Not once did he think to himelf "hey this is dangerous, i might get injured or burned alive". Its his kindness, and ability to empathise with others, that gives him the courage to carry out such heroic acts

View attachment 1011937
Somehow when he landed in Paris about some 15 hrs later,he still arrived in time to put it out

Back