Henry Cejudo Questions Aspinall's Emotional Reaction to Interim Title Win, "It's Not the Real Thing."

We have to change that saying to "unify or vacate", otherwise jon will just say, "I'm defending....against stipe"
He hasn't yet but I get your point

Not exactly the same. Jones and Stipe basically exist outside of the active forward moving division. Tom is willing to take on the mantle of a real defending champion.
But until yhat happens or doesn’t, they basically have the same thing.

I get it, but I think Tom surprised himself, half expected to get slept himself, coupled with the belt he went bananas.
I dont think he surprised himself at all. He wouldnt take this fight if he didnt think he can win.

When he got his first 50 K bonus,he cried. All this shit is happening really fast for him. He's got a belt,and it only took him 3 yrs in the UFC to get that. He was trying to go slow in his career and oppurtunity came knocking and he accepted it. If he didnt believe it was possible he wouldnt have done it.

He's just a prick to flush. Scrambles up the dunny bowl & hides with the scum.
Cringe Pigmy might have a point. An actual interim present means that the only title fight possible is Champion vs Interim Campion. You could justify, hypothetically, giving Jones a "warm up fight" against a can, and event that would be controversial and absurd in this day and age.

If Jon defends against anyone but Aspinall, Tom's belt is as fake as a three Euro bill.

The interim belt use to have meaning being a 2nd tier belt that guaranteed either promotion to undisputed or a direct title shot, now it's justification to sell a PPV co main spot.

The interim belt use to have meaning being a 2nd tier belt that guaranteed either promotion to undisputed or a direct title shot, now it's justification to sell a PPV co main spot.
It gives the promotion wiggle room and take put shade on the beltholder who wont fight or play ball or other various reasons,and/or put the shine on someone else.

In this case,it might be to put pressure on Stipe or Jones to face Tom,since he's now the man going forward. They are just guys looking to go home.

He reacted not because of the interim belt but because of his performance whilst taking this fight on short notice. Was a huge risk and he was injured as well. Just a relief of emotions. Not to mention he beat who many thought was the scariest guy in the division.

Back