The problem at HW isn't Jon Jones, it's Stipe

They're trying to cement Jon's legacy and Stipe, they think, is the key to that puzzle. Obviously it's clear Jones wants none of Aspinall. He could lose. Ruining L3GacY.

They're trying to cement Jon's legacy and Stipe, they think, is the key to that puzzle. Obviously it's clear Jones wants none of Aspinall. He could lose. Ruining L3GacY.

But what's the point for the UFC if he's going to retire after it

Oh come on! You're trying to make it sound like Jones is a passive little puppy gratefully licking up the bowl Dana offered him. In reality he was gunning for Stipe EVEN BEFORE HE WON THE BELT.

“My immediate goal is to beat Ciryl Gane and to beat Stipe Miocic,” Jones said. “After that, it will just be conversations with the UFC to see what makes sense, but I’m guaranteeing the fans at least two more fights out of me.”"

And Stipe, regardless of how able and ready he may be, can't fight unless OFFERED a fight — and Dana is obviously bent on reserving him for Jones.
Jones ducked Miocic during the latter's first title reign with the excuse that Miocic "wasn't a name".

Miocic's buyrates have remained the same since he won the title in 2016, so it's not like he suddenly became a name and worthy of Jones' interest.

Jones waited until Miocic had been knocked out twice and had taken a lot of damage before "gunning for [him]."

But what's the point for the UFC if he's going to retire after it
Because then they say Jones retired as the GOAT and keep marketing that, using him for additional promotion, like GSP. A good will ambassador of the sport, org, and forever attach that GOAT status to him.

Stipe and Dana too. Not Jones as much as I dislike him.

He's offering Jon an easy title defense against a well known name, why wouldn't Jones take it ? Easy money against an established name.

Jones is injured until summer. Stipe is injury free, he can fight.

he should be the one to fight Aspinall for the HW Interim title. And then the winner fights Jon Jones. They can do it at UFC 300 as a co-main, Stipe vs Aspinall it would be perfect.

I don't understand how a man who hasn't fought in almost 3 years and was KTFO in his last fight can hold up for a title fight above the actual interim champ because of accomplishment from 5 years ago.

Stipe (and Dana) is the one clogging the HW division up

You almost got it, but not quite. It's Stipe, Jones and the UFC. All three of them are in this thing to make this fight. Stipe only wants to fight Jones and Jones only wants to fight Stipe. They are both equal in this and neither want to fight anyone else. Add to the fact the UFC is obsessed with making this legacy fight, neither one of these guys is fighting anyone else.

Now even if Stipe wanted to fight for the interim belt vs Tommy, the UFC wouldn't make that fight happen. They don't want either guy fighting anyone else.

All in all, all three parties all in this together. And I have no problem with it. Considering the legacy and Jones and Stipe built, if they only want to fight each other, so be it. As a fan, I want to see this legacy fight as well.

Dana is not going to pay Stipe to fight anyone other than Jon and Jon is not going to fight anyone but Stipe. Jon has been in the game long enough and has earned the privilege to fight who he wants on his terms and to sit out until it happens, and Dana is not going to waste what is potentially Stipe's last fight in him to go fight Tom Aspinall. It just isn't going to happen guys. Accept it.

I wish Jones or Stipe gets injured next year while training so the UFC will have to push it back to 2025. The longer this drags on the more I like to see Dana’s stubbornness backfires.

this is all about legacy - they want to be able to say - JJ is the GOAT. right now, they can't.
They actually can and in fact do say the fight would be "Jon the greatest to ever do it vs Stipe the greatest HW".

IMO they should promote Aspinall to Undisputed and book Jon vs Stipe for a made up "Legacy" or "GOAT" belt along the lines of the BMF title. Only acceptable scenario for "Defending" the Interim title is Aspinall vs Stipe at UFC 300 and the winner faces Jon Jones. If Jon can't agree to face the winner he can be stripped and retire.

The Stipe fight makes sense for Jones from a legacy perspective, they're from the same era and it rubs additional salt into the Cormier wounds.

As far as Aspinall, the Stipe fight is irrelevant, in my opinion anyways.

Stipe doesn't even deserve an interim title fight. He should be fighting a contender to prove he still has it. He hasn't won a fight in 3 and a half years and has only beaten a single fighter on the current roster.

Ultimately it's the UFC's fault. Stipe is clearly only interested in fighting Jones. He was basically retired. Jones is apparently only interested in fighting Stipe because Stipe is washed and holds the record for most HW title defenses. Jones can claim he beat the HW GOAT while cashing a check to fight a washed fighter.

The UFC created an interim belt and now they need to tell Jones to unify the belts or get stripped. Simple as that. Jones/Aspinall is absolutely the fight to make and everyone knows it.

you’re thinking about it all wrong. this is not about settling “who is the best hw fighter at the moment?” this is a legacy fight: “the best p4p fighter ever vs the best hw champ ever.” this is likely the last chance for this fight to happen. neither of them are in their primes. both jones and stipe made their names in a previous era, and neither of them are interested in cleaning out the next generation of challengers. who can blame them? if either of them lost to aspinall, it would prove nothing except “father time always wins.” the only thing left for either of them is to fight each other. it’s a good fight because the age excuse negates out (i.e., because they’re both old), and jones holds the undisputed belt (i.e., it can be marketed as an actual title fight). it’s a fun fight vs two legends who are likely on their last hurrahs. it’s happening. enjoy it for what it is. aspinall will have his chance to shine and lead a new generation.

They actually can and in fact do say the fight would be "Jon the greatest to ever do it vs Stipe the greatest HW".

IMO they should promote Aspinall to Undisputed and book Jon vs Stipe for a made up "Legacy" or "GOAT" belt along the lines of the BMF title. Only acceptable scenario for "Defending" the Interim title is Aspinall vs Stipe at UFC 300 and the winner faces Jon Jones. If Jon can't agree to face the winner he can be stripped and retire.
jones and stipe want to retire. one of the conditions for this fight is that it is for the legitimate championship belt. without that incentive, the fight likely never happens and it’s just a wasted opportunity.

Stipe is fully willing to stay retired. He's only coming out of retirement to fight Jon Jones. Nothing else makes sense for Stipe.

The problem is Dana and the UFC. Period. They are yet again letting a champion hold a belt without defending it for over a year. Conor McGregor hold the record at almost 2 years without a title defense. That was just shameful, but it shouldn't set some kind of a standard. Now they're about to let Jones go almost a year and a half without defending his belt. It's pathetic.

The UFC should strip Jon, but they won't. And the worst part is that even if Jon VS Stipe happens, Jon is likely to retire afterwards.

Jones ducked Miocic during the latter's first title reign with the excuse that Miocic "wasn't a name".

Miocic's buyrates have remained the same since he won the title in 2016, so it's not like he suddenly became a name and worthy of Jones' interest.

Jones waited until Miocic had been knocked out twice and had taken a lot of damage before "gunning for [him]."

Yes, and he reused the "not a name" excuse almost word for word to explain why he isn't interested in fighting Aspinall or Pavlovich

{<BJPeen}<{nope}>

Stipe and Dana too. Not Jones as much as I dislike him.

He's offering Jon an easy title defense against a well known name, why wouldn't Jones take it ? Easy money against an established name.

Jones is injured until summer. Stipe is injury free, he can fight.

he should be the one to fight Aspinall for the HW Interim title. And then the winner fights Jon Jones. They can do it at UFC 300 as a co-main, Stipe vs Aspinall it would be perfect.

I don't understand how a man who hasn't fought in almost 3 years and was KTFO in his last fight can hold up for a title fight above the actual interim champ because of accomplishment from 5 years ago.

Stipe (and Dana) is the one clogging the HW division up
Why would a guy coming off a loss be the one to fight for a title? Stipe isn't the one to blame here.

Stipe's been wanting a title shot since he got knocked out. They never called him until Jon was demanding to fight him. Jon's said he's not interested in fighting anyone else. Dana's desperate to get another fight out of Jon. That pretty much sums it up.

Back