Stipe has a better chance against Jon than people expect

Stipe’s weakness is KO power. Jon doesn’t have that. I’ve always thought that Stipe was a bad match for Jon.

God, Stipe looks likes he’s disassociating in all the promo posters for this fight.

Looks like he’s overcome with existential dread.

Poor guy.

I don't see stipe getting taken down too often, if he does it's because Jones is just a freak of nature. I've never seen anybody physically dominate Stipe so I don't see that happening. Stipes punching power,fight IQ,discipline,and cardio are his keys to victory against Jones which for sure more than give him a good chance at victory, he's not out of this fight at all.

Having said that Stipe is just too hittable and predictable for someone like Jones in my opinion. I see Jones coasting and tagging Stipe to a comfy 5 round decision if not hurting him late in the fight. On the feet he's got an iron chin, more weapons, faster, and has the distinction of having proving everybody wrong time and time again his entire career. I haven't bet against Jones since I was a fucking kid, I don't plan on changing that for Stipe. Jones is unfortunately the best fighter we have ever witnessed in this sport, that won't change win lose or draw against the former champ.

He didn’t have the belt, though. It was vacant.
I don't even know why he fought for the vacant title with a loss to Ngannou and a win over Tuivasa, lol. Talk about a gifted title shot for Jones. He has to be the biggest paper champ in HW history.

So first Stipe does not have great fight IQ. It took him like what two three rounds to figure out punch Daniel cormier in the belly. But I don't see Jones taking them down and ground and pounding him or submitting him that way. So that means Jones getting him in the clinch. I don't see that happening either. I think if they wind up in the clinch Stipe winds up taking him down. I am really curious about this even though both of them are old as s***.

IMO Jones is going to try and do the same thing to Stipe that he did to Gane - take him down and try and catch him with an unexpected sub. Jones can def strike with Stipe .. and that leg kick is something to worry about for Stipe. IMO Stipe's should be as aggressive as possible and look to end the fight very, very fast. He's probably not going to do that but thats what I think is the best way to win against Jones.

Jones really only needs to take him down once tbf sir.
Everyone knows I hate Jones but his wrestling/BJJ is pretty damn good, as is his GNP.

If this was 5 years ago I would say Stipe would have a good chance, but its hard to see in these circumstances.

All that being said, I hope Stipe knocks his dick in the dirt lol.

It's a given that Jones has great wrestling, BJJ etc. But I've got a feeling that route will not be as easy as Jones must think it is. Strength is a big deal in wrestling and strength, as they often say, is the last thing to go — and Stipe is very, very strong. Also I can't imagine Jones has a good fix on Stipe's defensive BJJ because there's almost no tape available, and the talk about him being almost impossible to submit is VERY low-key and scattered.

So first Stipe does not have great fight IQ. It took him like what two three rounds to figure out punch Daniel cormier in the belly.

It's not that he didn't think of it before. He even landed one early in the fight. But Stipe's not really the type to pursue attritive strategies. He didn't get a reaction at first, so he tried other things. Maybe you can call that a fault of his, but it's more a personality than a fight IQ issue.

At this point I hope they never fight. If by any chance they do I hope it's boring and is a draw.

Exactly, Stipe is going to end the hype train. But it was a good run for Jones. Dude really was an amazing fighter but hes not beating Stipe.

i hope we see Stipe KO Jon Jones bad. would be the most fitting way to end his career. i think there's obviously a chance. however Jones is motivated, and everything is on the line. he won't take Stipe lightly. either Jon finishes Stipe fast and easily somehow, or I think it's a much much closer fight than people expect.

On paper, I think he has a solid enough shot. I think we can pretty reasonably assume that one of the only reasons this fight is alluring to Jon is because he assumes that Stipe really is past it at this point and will be a shell of his former self so it's a good name to add to the list for a final victory before retirement. That's not at all a knock to Jon. I'm just saying that he's looking for a winnable fight against a big name. He's already got an insane resume- doesn't really have anything else to prove. But we have no real data to make the assumption about Stipe on other than the fact that Stipe is as far as most professional fighters go, up there in age and hasn't fought in a very long time.

Jones had not fought in quite a long time before Gane either, so it was tough to predict how he was going to look. You never know.

One of the issues for me is that, prior to this fight, I don't really feel that we got any indication that Stipe intended to return for a bout. It really seemed as though he was retired. If the only thing bringing him back is a big-money fight with Jones, it's difficult to know the level of motivation he has for this. I am sure we are going to see him return prepared and well trained but, again, it's tough to get a good sense of how an essentially retired fighter will look upon the return.

Exactly, Stipe is going to end the hype train. But it was a good run for Jones. Dude really was an amazing fighter but hes not beating Stipe.

Hype train? You think this young rookie is not going to have decent mma career?

It's a given that Jones has great wrestling, BJJ etc. But I've got a feeling that route will not be as easy as Jones must think it is. Strength is a big deal in wrestling and strength, as they often say, is the last thing to go — and Stipe is very, very strong. Also I can't imagine Jones has a good fix on Stipe's defensive BJJ because there's almost no tape available, and the talk about him being almost impossible to submit is VERY low-key and scattered.
I hope Stipe comes through for us ;)

I hope Stipe comes through for us ;)
Jones is going to fight him all the way on the outside in a safe and prodding fashion…and ALL the way on the inside in a dirty boxing collar tie fashion as well as against the cage where he will unleash hellbows and dirty boxing etc. He will also drag Stipe down at points in the fight and just overall use superior range management and work rate to sap the fight out of Stipe. The gameplan will be to avoid boxing distance and break Stipe’s will until he gets the finish or a comfortable dec win.

Feel free to bump this but Jon’s fight iQ is through the roof and he sees an obvious path to brutalizing Stipe and having his way with him and I believe this will be his path. Jon for all his faults has already cemented a airtight case for the greatest fighter that our dysfunctional sport has ever seen and this fight won’t change it only add to his legacy.

It will look similar to the Glover vs Jones fight. Stipe will have his moments but Jon will employ a similar strategy.

That's why this is lose-lose for Jon.

He smokes Stipe, and he smoked a old man.
This will be the narrative among people who closely follow mma, the casuals will eat it up and the UFC will make a lot of noise (and money) off of it. 10 years down the line, most will ignore the circumstances and make a big deal out of it just like we see it happen with old fights. Sure, there will be people reminding young fans about the truth of it, but it will be a ripple in the sea.

Back