News Robelis Despaigne vs Waldo Cortes-Acosta set for UFC St. Louis on May 11

Who wins?

• Total voters
GIeb_DoXYAEAvul

hear-me-out-michael-che.gif

That’s a solid MMA-test for the Taekwondo Olympic medalist:

View attachment 1035391

Nice!

Wasn't sure they'd go for this so soon, but it does make sense!

The good news for Robelis is that Waldo is 'just' a lumbering haymaker. If he's as good as billed, he should be able to piece this guy up even if he can't insta-KO him.

All the questions that were asked about Robelis ahead of his UFC debut still remain about cardio, well-roundedness, etc, etc, etc.

Holy baby Jesus. We will see violence on this night.

If anyone complains about it being the worst card ever (sherdog, afterall), I will just point out this matchup

Holy baby Jesus. We will see violence on this night.

If anyone complains about it being the worst card ever (sherdog, afterall), I will just point out this matchup

(it could be a total stinker)

Thats a gimme fight if ive ever seen one

Fun fight but would have preferred they fight someone else as I always root for Dominican fighter (I lived there for a year) and me wanting this Cuban dude to do well.

I don't really dislike this matchmaking all that much. They clearly want to try and fast-track Despaigne a bit and I think with the loss to de Lima and the stinker against Arlovski, Waldo has lost whatever favor he once held with the matchmakers. They thought they were bringing in some heavy-handed Dominican boxer/slugger-turned-MMA-knockout-artist... what they got was a fairly middling and one-dimensional dude who likes to posture and jab his way to greasy Decisions against low-level guys. I don't like matching up blue chip prospects who are undefeated in the promotion unnecessarily, but Waldo has shown he isn't really that. He has struggled against pretty much every opponent and already taken a loss. I'm not holding my breath about Despaigne, but might as well see what he's made of.

As far as the match-up is concerned, I guess I'll favor Robelis. I still have a lot of questions about his overall MMA game... but I don't think Waldo is really the guy to meaningfully test him. He is legitimately just a boxer playing at MMA. He has a very serviceable jab that he sometimes doesn't use as much as he should and he has decent power in his hands, but really nothing to write home about. Dude loads up on his shots like crazy, too. He has only attempted one takedown in all six of his fights under the UFC banner and didn't complete it. He has steadily adopted more kicks -- including low kicks -- into his game since getting beaten up by them early on, but that's not really his forte.

I don't see any reason Robelis can't use his superior physicality, speed, power, and reach to beat Acosta at his own game. I'll be interested to see if Robelis has any sort of low kicks in his arsenal, as Acosta has been shown to be incredibly vulnerable to that weapon... but even if Despaigne doesn't go that route he can probably just punch and head kick his way to victory. Waldo's chin has held up in his UFC outings thus far, but he's really only faced one legitimate power-puncher in de Lima, who was more concerned with managing the fight to a comfortable Decision win rather than trying to put him out. The Dominican has been finished multiple times during his boxing career, so Robelis can probably do the same. Short of Despaigne inexplicably gassing out, getting clipped by a wild shot inside the pocket, or Acosta going out and fighting in some way he's never fought before (i.e. lots of grappling and low kicks), then I expect another showcase victory for the Cuban.

All this being said... I think Buday, Gaziev, or Pogues might have been better if they're legitimately trying to test Robelis.

Last edited:
Perfect matchup … hate Waldo - good step up though

Looking more forward to this then most fight night main eventers

I don't really dislike this matchmaking all that much. They clearly want to try and fast-track Despaigne a bit and I think with the loss to de Lima and the stinker against Arlovski, Waldo has lost whatever favor he once held with the matchmakers. They thought they were bringing in some heavy-handed Dominican boxer/slugger-turned-MMA-knockout-artist... what they got was a fairly middling and one-dimensional dude who likes to posture and jab his way to greasy Decisions against low-level guys. I don't like matching up prospects who are undefeated in the promotion unnecessarily, but Waldo has shown he isn't really that IMO. He has struggled against pretty much every opponent and already taken a loss. I'm not holding my breath about Despaigne, but might as well see what he's made of.

As far as the match-up is concerned, I guess I'll favor Robelis. I still have a lot of questions about his overall MMA game... but I don't think Waldo is really the guy to meaningfully test him. He is legitimately just a boxer playing at MMA... he has a very serviceable jab that he sometimes doesn't use enough and he has decent power in his hands but really nothing to write home about. Dude loads up on his shots like crazy, too. He has only attempted one takedown in all six of his fights under the UFC banner and didn't complete it. He has steadily adopted more kicks -- including low kicks -- into his game since getting beaten up by them early on, but that's not really his forte.

I don't really see any reason Robelis can't use his superior physicality, speed, power, and reach to beat Acosta at his own game. I'll be interested to see if Robelis has any sort of low kicks in his arsenal, as Acosta has been shown to be incredibly vulnerable to that weapon... but even if Despaigne doesn't go that route he can probably just punch and head kick his way to victory. Waldo's chin has held up in his UFC outings thus far, but he's really only faced one legitimate power-puncher and de Lima was more concerned with managing the fight to a clean Decision win than trying to put him out. The Dominican has been finished multiple times during his boxing career, so Robelis can probably do the same. Short of Robelis inexplicably gassing out, getting clipped by a wild shot, or Acosta going out and fighting in some way he's never fought before (i.e. lots of grappling and low kicks) then I expect another showcase victory for the Cuban.

All this being said... I think Buday, Gaziev, or Pogues might have been better if they're legitimately trying to test Robelis.
The Tafa brothers would be fun as well.

Hmmm stay at home or go downtown to the shithole that is St Louis city and watch live.

I think I'll stay in the burbs and watch from the comfort of my home.

Back