Most hours you've worked in a week?

I worked on a drilling rig once and during autumn time we'd just work flat out for as long as possible since everytime it rained we'd get shut down. Meant we got decent breaks in between but we'd go long stretches. Never really kept track but we'd do 24+ hour shifts pretty routinely. Shitty company to work for but the pay was quality

My on-call average for the last 18 months has been 85 hours a week. I think my best was 118 in a week.

Depends, but one can expect $25-35 even at entry level. At the end on the week you have 40hrs reg-40.5hrs OT. Paychecks are shocking. You can elect to do longer hitches than 2 weeks as well. I did a 6 week one winter and wanted to die by the 4th.

Were able to pile away a nice nest egg with that gig?

My on-call average for the last 18 months has been 85 hours a week. I think my best was 118 in a week.

Jiminy Christmas man, how do you live? Does your life just feel like a fog sometimes?

Jiminy Christmas man, how do you live? Does your life just feel like a fog sometimes?

that's pretty nuts -I start to drool and babble when I cross 100.

That's on-call, so I can still sleep and study and read and all of that. It just means that I have the pager on for 85 hours a week, and if it goes off, I'm in uniform and ready to go in 5 minutes. So even though I'm 'on-call' I can still pull off full-time school through correspondence.

And when I take 12 weeks off this spring to travel and still have a huge pile of money to return home to, it'll all be worth it.

Were able to pile away a nice nest egg with that gig?

A paid off home at age 27, with help from a better half of course(I don't know if she's worth her weight anymore but w/e). I'm going back to it but in natural gas this time. I'm selling the house and moving near Wyoming. The company I worked for does inspection there. I was most recently working in the northern most region of AK and suffer some side effects from it. I grade assignments for a community college right now, I do it from home.

That's on-call, so I can still sleep and study and read and all of that. It just means that I have the pager on for 85 hours a week, and if it goes off, I'm in uniform and ready to go in 5 minutes. So even though I'm 'on-call' I can still pull off full-time school through correspondence.

And when I take 12 weeks off this spring to travel and still have a huge pile of money to return home to, it'll all be worth it.

I like money

A paid off home at age 27, with help from a better half of course(I don't know if she's worth her weight anymore but w/e). I'm going back to it but in natural gas this time. I'm selling the house and moving near Wyoming. The company I worked for does inspection there. I was most recently working on the northern most region of AK and suffer some side effects from it. I grade assignments for a community college right now, I do it from home.

Good stuff

You emergency response guys...

I know a young girl who has this schedule and she's rolling. 24 and loaded.

You emergency response guys...

I know a young girl who has this schedule and she's rolling. 24 and loaded.

I get a bit of a reprieve in the new year. Going up north to do 21 days in 10 days out for a few months, oil & gas. Better money, a lot less work. They're not allowed to give us busy work, so we can literally go three weeks without doing more than assessing a sore back and handing out bandages.

But when shit does hit the fan, look out. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

This, I've literally been at work for every second of more than just a week.

I get a bit of a reprieve in the new year. Going up north to do 21 days in 10 days out for a few months, oil & gas. Better money, a lot less work. They're not allowed to give us busy work, so we can literally go three weeks without doing more than assessing a sore back and handing out bandages.

But when shit does hit the fan, look out. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

A guy on the rig was out of position and was decapitated. I ran, and went home early. You guys run in. The shit up there.

A guy on the rig was out of position and was decapitated. I ran, and went home early. You guys run in. The shit up there.

No sense running in for a decapitation. Shrug the shoulders and start the paper work.

Depends, but one can expect $25-35/hr even at entry level. At the end on the week you have 40hrs reg-40.5hrs OT. Paychecks are shocking. You can elect to do longer hitches than 2 weeks as well. I did a 6 week one winter and wanted to die by the 4th.

in Perth Australia those jobs are like Hot cakes atm, fly in fly out, i'm considering it but it just seems rough on the mental side of things, my cousins boyfriends does 4 weeks on 1 week of, on top of that he basically gets no day of and works 12-14 hours per day...

No sense running in for a decapitation. Shrug the shoulders and start the paper work.

Medics had to pick him up and bag him. Its less gory than a cooked, human plus it doesn't smell. Gets worse I'm sure.

in Perth Australia those jobs are like Hot cakes atm, fly in fly out, i'm considering it but it just seems rough on the mental side of things, my cousins boyfriends does 4 weeks on 1 week of, on top of that he basically gets no day of and works 12-14 hours per day...

I got an offer to go there. Time off was 2 weeks because I live in the US. The US would still tax me, and I don't like overseas flight. If you're in your early twenties try it once. That 1 week off is the best week ever.

Back